Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: is this a sign of MBD or something different

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default is this a sign of MBD or something different

Absolutely agreed. Your health and your baby's health come first!

It's sweet of you to take the frog in. Try Dr. Frye. There's no obligation. He will tell you what he thinks and give you the price for the meds if you'd like them. I don't think it will be too much. I bought the whole "medicine cabinet" emergency kit and it wasn't too bad. I can't remember how much the SSD cream and Baytril were.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

lynnsey

Default Re: is this a sign of MBD or something different

Well i am actually in hospital now. My water broke at 7:30ish tonight. So i wont be able to do anything until i get back. Talk bout all this bad timing lol.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default is this a sign of MBD or something different

Oh yay!!! Take it easy and relax. Do you know what your having boy or girl?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Congratulations!

As for the frog, if there's no way to get meds you can just try to keep the tank clean, and clean the wound off with painkiller-free neosporin (or whatever else has been recommended). If the abscess opens up on its own and starts to drain out, there's a chance the frog will pull through.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by lynnsey View Post
    Well i am actually in hospital now. My water broke at 7:30ish tonight. So i wont be able to do anything until i get back. Talk bout all this bad timing lol.
    horray! hope you and your baby are doing great! take care of both of you and your other one at home.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

lynnsey

OK everyone here is an update...I am great...baby is great.. He was 8lbs 4 oz and the best delivery possible...no pain and he slid right out. My pacman is still alive and eating...he is on moist paper towels...I found a rescue that said they would take him but they blew me off at the last minute. His rear leg that was infected has healed...the abscess in the pic is healed and he has drainage holes that opened up and are healing. His other rear leg swelled up and he had a hole on upper thigh. The swelling was so bad I had to disinfect a needle and make numerous pokes in the thinner parts of skin..he drained out and the swelling has gone down in 2 days. He has healing sores and swelling went down. He looks kinda blah but he is still eating and moving. I have been soaking him in warm water daily. I have been adding...now don't attack me cuz I didn't know what else to do and couldn't find a vet out here. I was soaking him in warm water and the liquid water conditioner with aloe for fish tanks...supposed to condition water and aloe is supposed to aid in healing. I ran out of that and then wondered bout the hand sanitizers. I know they clear up abscesses really good. I looked up the ingredients and if it can be used on frogs and could not find anything bout it...so I added a lil in his soaking water and have been and it has helped a **** ton with healing and swelling. I figured I had to try instead of not. He ate 5 big nightcrawlers today and is now happily digesting. I know people on here are freaking out about what I used....I'm prolly going to get cussed out but I made do with what I had and my frog looks a lot better than what he did. I am hoping he doesn't have any long term issues with anything I used...any feedback..even neg feedback..is welcomed... Please don't be mean bout it..like I stated...I am doing the best I can with what I have and considering my circumstances...I couldn't just kill him or let him die without trying. I figured as long as he is eating and has a will to live I will try my best

Nationality
    [United States]

The needle thing is something that's worked wonderfully on some of my snakes with mouth infections that were too small for antibiotics.

I'm glad the hand sanitizer seems to have helped with the swelling without hurting him, but I'd really recommend not using it again. The alcohol and other chemicals in hand sanitizer could really hurt a frog. One option that might be available to you is plain neosporin. You need to be sure to get the kind WITHOUT painkillers (not trying to sound obnoxious with the all-caps, it's just that if you use the kind with painkillers they will kill the frog). You can apply that directly to the skin, so it might be more effective than soaking in a diluted solution anyway.

Can you put up some pictures of him and the bad leg??

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by lynnsey View Post
    OK everyone here is an update...I am great...baby is great.. He was 8lbs 4 oz and the best delivery possible...no pain and he slid right out. My pacman is still alive and eating...he is on moist paper towels...I found a rescue that said they would take him but they blew me off at the last minute. His rear leg that was infected has healed...the abscess in the pic is healed and he has drainage holes that opened up and are healing. His other rear leg swelled up and he had a hole on upper thigh. The swelling was so bad I had to disinfect a needle and make numerous pokes in the thinner parts of skin..he drained out and the swelling has gone down in 2 days. He has healing sores and swelling went down. He looks kinda blah but he is still eating and moving. I have been soaking him in warm water daily. I have been adding...now don't attack me cuz I didn't know what else to do and couldn't find a vet out here. I was soaking him in warm water and the liquid water conditioner with aloe for fish tanks...supposed to condition water and aloe is supposed to aid in healing. I ran out of that and then wondered bout the hand sanitizers. I know they clear up abscesses really good. I looked up the ingredients and if it can be used on frogs and could not find anything bout it...so I added a lil in his soaking water and have been and it has helped a **** ton with healing and swelling. I figured I had to try instead of not. He ate 5 big nightcrawlers today and is now happily digesting. I know people on here are freaking out about what I used....I'm prolly going to get cussed out but I made do with what I had and my frog looks a lot better than what he did. I am hoping he doesn't have any long term issues with anything I used...any feedback..even neg feedback..is welcomed... Please don't be mean bout it..like I stated...I am doing the best I can with what I have and considering my circumstances...I couldn't just kill him or let him die without trying. I figured as long as he is eating and has a will to live I will try my best
    I'm glad everything with you, the baby, and your frog is going well.

I will recommend to not use the hand sanitizer again. It is quite toxic to frogs. Alcohol is especially dangerous, but at least you did what you could to help him. A sterilized needle can be used for abcesses that are easily accessable and not near any vital areas like the eyes.

Use Original Neosporin or Bactine for his healing wounds from now on. This will speed up the healing process and help prevent further infection. Also go out and buy some UNFLAVORED PEDIALYTE. Prepare a warm bath at a 10 to 1 ratio. So for every 10 ounces of dechlorinated water add 1 ounce unflavored pedialyte. Soak him for 20 minutes and then rinse him off with warm dechlorinated water and return him to the hospital tank. This will help him feel better because he will have lost electrolytes while fighting the infection.

Keep us posted.

lynnsey

Thanks everyone..ya I need to get the bactine or neosporin..without painkillers..instead of alcohol hand sanitizer. I was scared to use it but had a desperate moment and couldn't get to the store for a week. I took pics of him today and will attempt to post after writing this. I will get the unflavored pedalyte also. I will take better pics tomorrow.

lynnsey

I can't figure out how to post pics from my phone..it won't work right...good news he is still alive and is doing much better..his legs are back to normal size and even though they have those abscess looking things on them he is healing up nicely. He just ate 2 big old nightcrawlers this evening. I have him in a 10 gallon using paper towel as substrate. I have 2 heat pads on 2 sides of tank which keeps him at 75 at night and 80 during day. His humidity is pretty constant at 80-85%. I have a screen cover that is seran wrapped with vent holes in it. I have a clay pot broke in half for a hide with a huge broad leaf fake plant covering it completely so hr feels secure. I use city water treated with the water conditioner. I use his calcium..d3 powder about 2 to 3 times a month. He eats 4-5 adult nightcrawlers about every week or two. He doesn't have alight on his tank but gets natural light. Is away from windows and drafts and is on a desk in a corner so all sides but front are covered. HE has a water dish that he just started pooping in last week..he pooped beginning of last week..normal poop. He isn't puffy unless I don't take him out to pee for a couple days. He seems to only pee when taken out and soaked in water. As soon as he pees his sides go down. I tong feed him and he is very gentle about it..he open mouth and I put head of worm in and he gobbles it down. I handle him every 1 to 3 days and change out his towels once a week at most if they stay clean..other wise I change when he poops or if I think he peed. So anywhere from every 2-3 days to week. I feed him in a shoebox and give him a bath to pee before I feed him. I give him a pee bath every 1-3 days and then empty and rinse him and shoebox out afterwards. I am so thrilled he is doing better..thanks all..when I can figure it out I will post pics.
    When he is completely healed should I attempt bed a beast again or just keep him on paper towel from now on since he is a risk for infections?

Nationality
    [United States]

Glad he is recovering well. I will suggest that you change his paper towels once everyday or no less than every other day. Paper towels are natorious for growing fungus and bacteria when left longer than a day. So be cautious.

Once he is completely healed you can return him to a soil substrate. I recommend either Zoo Med's Eco Earth Coconut Fiber substrate or Exo Terra's Plantation Soil.

You can upload picture by replying to your thread. Once you click to reply the text field will appear. Above the text field there is a tool bar. Select the icon that looks like a picture in a frame. Once you click on this icon options for uploading pictures into the text field will appear.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hello Lynnsey! Just finished reading your thread... wow, quite a story. Hope you, husband, baby, and pets are all OK. Agree with changing paper towels daily since frog enclosures are humid and that breeds all kinds of critters on them. Also, would not do the hand sanitizer bath anymore. There is no way of telling what are long terms issues of that until someone does scientific research on it .

Have a better idea for your frog baths. There is a mild natural fish antibacterial sold by trade as "Melafix" Welcome to API Fishcare: Melafix® . It's pretty much available everywhere fish products are sold and not expensive.

If decide to try; mix product according to bottle directions with dechlorinated water (maybe use 1 gal. in clean water jug) and use that for frog bath (warm to around 80F) for 20 minutes. Can also use Melafix solution for it's water dish in enclosure. Keep both Melafix and solution in dark area once mixed. Treatment can continue until frog is well, good luck !
    Remember to take care of the enclosure and it will take care of your frog !​

lynnsey

I do check the cage everyday and if anything looks dirty, smelly, etc I will change it. I will disinfect the whole tank when I changepaper towels..I just don't change the towels I clean whole tank every time. I have found a white fuzzy looking fungus on his hide and on the plant so with every paper towel change I clean cage and decor in hot soapy water and rise thoroughly. So even with doing that every 1-3 days should I still change the towels every day? The fungus has not been back. Yes I use eco earth I call it bed a beast cuz that's what it used to be called or at least what I used to use back in the day and still call it that.
    I do everything right to put up pics but when I pick out the pics it doesn't give me a button to push to say done or upload or even an OK so I don't know how to upload them without a button to push to say I am done.

Ya it was def an experience lol. I am so happy my fatty frog is doing so much better. I know the hand sanitizer thing was def a risk but like I said before it was my real only option at the time. Just cuz it worked doesn't mean I will do it again. One time thing. Can he be in a 5 gallon or is that too small..he really doesn't move anywhere and I'm not sure if he would feel more secure in a smaller area. If he can I'll try and see if he seems happier. He was in a 20 gallon long but that was to big for him.

lynnsey

Quote Originally Posted by Mentat View Post
    Hello Lynnsey! Just finished reading your thread... wow, quite a story. Hope you, husband, baby, and pets are all OK. Agree with changing paper towels daily since frog enclosures are humid and that breeds all kinds of critters on them. Also, would not do the hand sanitizer bath anymore. There is no way of telling what are long terms issues of that until someone does scientific research on it .

Have a better idea for your frog baths. There is a mild natural fish antibacterial sold by trade as "Melafix" Welcome to API Fishcare: Melafix® . It's pretty much available everywhere fish products are sold and not expensive.

If decide to try; mix product according to bottle directions with dechlorinated water (maybe use 1 gal. in clean water jug) and use that for frog bath (warm to around 80F) for 20 minutes. Can also use Melafix solution for it's water dish in enclosure. Keep both Melafix and solution in dark area once mixed. Treatment can continue until frog is well, good luck !
    Thanks I will def remember the fish meds

I figured out the pic issue.
    The pic of him in plastic shoebox was when his other leg swelled..the other two is of tank now and him now
    Attached Images Attached Images    

lynnsey

He just finished eating night crawlers so that's why he's bulging lol

Nationality
    [United States]

You should still change the towels every day. They shed their skin often (they eat it so you won't see much just laying around) and pee a lot. You wouldn't be able to tell just by looking though. But both of these things can lead to bacteria growing, which doesn't take long at all. Also, fungi can take awhile to grow into a structure you can see, so it's probably there even if you don't see it.

An pac can stay for a good while in a 5 gallon without getting stressed, but a 10 gallon would be better for an adult.

lynnsey

Ya he sheds every time I give him a bath. OK paper towel change every day.. Will do it..I don't want him sick again

Pics from tonight
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Nationality
    [United States]

Were there always that many cyst-looking places on his legs? They look like they're probably healing up, but I'd continue to treat those even after you can't see them anymore. They look like the sort of thing that could come back after it looks like it's gone..

He looks like a very healthy frog otherwise

lynnsey

Quote Originally Posted by DVirginiana View Post
    Were there always that many cyst-looking places on his legs? They look like they're probably healing up, but I'd continue to treat those even after you can't see them anymore. They look like the sort of thing that could come back after it looks like it's gone..

He looks like a very healthy frog otherwise
    No there was one originally and then it spread like wildflower. Yea they are def healing..it was way worse. Ya. I am def keeping a close eye. Got to get more neosporin today

lynnsey

Fatty frog is improving every day. I'm putting neosporin on his legs, cleaning cage out everyday...sometimes its every other day due to me running low on time and forgetting. Yesterday he croaked all day so I am assuming that's a good sign. My only issue is his liking of certain foods. I've been giving him earthworms but now he doesn't want to eat them lately. I had to force feed.. Used card to open mouth then dropped worm in. I tried some minnows...non medicated ones and he ate them. I tong fed them. He ate 3. My hubby decided to put a lizard in with him...fence lizard and he scarfed that down. Then the other day I caught a tree frog and put him in a deli cup and put the deli cup in fatty frogs tank to keep him warm since it was going to be cold during the night. I figured I'd make a tank for him in morning sometime...well that never happened cuz apparently the tree frog had super strength and pushed up lid, got into tank with fatty and got eaten. The morning he ate him fatty frog has been chirping and seems very content. The day before he ate the tree frog I gave him 6 June bugs and he didn't eat one. So what do I do? Continue to force feed worms or have him willing eat frogs and lizards. He used to love worms...now..not so much

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information