Thread: Raising ACF tadpoles

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Default Raising ACF tadpoles

Can anyone offer any advice on raising african clawed frog tadpoles? Any information at all would be a huge help because I've never done it before. I can only find a few information pages online and they give mixed information.

2 of the tadpoles hatched a week ago today. Most hatched 5 days ago. 10 hatched today, and there's another 10-15 that are about to hatch within the next few hours (I can see the fully-formed tadpoles inside the eggs). The reason they're at different stages is because my male frog was insatiable for a few nights!

Here's what I'm doing so far:

• Temperature - I've got all the tadpoles and eggs in a tub of water which I'm maintaining at around 23 degrees celsius with a heater and thermometer.
    • Food - I can't find powdered egg anywhere (just powdered egg whites, which I'm not sure is suitable?) so I've been feeding the free-swimming tadpoles fish flakes ground to fine powder. I've been adding the powder to a cup of tank water and pouring it into the tank. I'm not sure how much I should be feeding them. I've read online that I should aim to give each tadpole the amount of powder that can loosely cover a 14 point capital O, but it's hard to judge how much this is when you're trying to cater for so many free-swimming tadpoles. I've read elsewhere that the ideal amount will cloud the water and take the tadpoles one hour to clear. Well the flake powder doesn't really seem to cloud the water a noticeable amount, no matter how much I put in, and it rests on the bottom after a few seconds, so I have to keep stirring it back up so that the tadpoles can filter it out of the water. Any advice? Also, some websites say to feed them twice and day and some say once. I've stuck with once for the sake of the water quality.
    • Water changes - It's difficult to change the water at the moment because of the eggs and newly hatched tadpoles resting on the bottom of the tank. I want to siphon the stuff off the bottom of the tank but I can't at the moment because I don't want to disturb the eggs or accidentally suck up a tadpole that's not yet free swimming. So what I've been doing is changing about 60% of the water daily from the top, cup by cup to make sure I don't get any tadpoles. I'll start siphoning the water out from the bottom once the eggs and tadpoles that are currently on the bottom start free swimming. Is this ok? I'm worried about the water quality in the mean time. I'm replacing the water with temp matched water which I'm conditioning before adding to the tank. I've been performing water changes a couple of hours after feeding. Some websites say to do 90% changes. Would this be better?
    • Oxygen - Is an airstone necessary? The pump that I have, which is the only one that I could in find in any shops near here, creates too much turbulence in the water. I tried it today and the poor tadpoles couldn't swim against it, so I removed it straight away. If I'm performing water changes every day, is an airstone definitely still necessary? If so, could anyone think of any ways I could adapt the airstone/airline so that the airstream is less powerful (maybe diverting some of the air out of the water, somehow?).
    • Space - The tadpoles are currently in a tub that's only 25 litres. I'm aware that this is way too small, so I'm going to buy another tub and heater this week, and that way I'll have 2 tubs so I can separate tadpoles from newly morphed frogs when they reach that stage. I was thinking of buying an 80 litre tub with a 60cm by 40cm surface area on the bottom. Will this be large enough once the tadpoles get bigger, bearing in mind I'll still have the 25 litre tub too? Could I get away with a tub that's any smaller? I'm a bit worried because I've read the reviews for some of the plastic tubs online and some people say they're prone to cracking with household items in them, so I'm concerned about a larger one breaking from the force of so much water :/ I think I've got about 60 - 70 tadpoles.

Thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    North Providence, Rhode Island, United States
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Raising ACF tadpoles

Welcome to the forum!

Oh the fun of raising tadpoles - - work but oh so worth it in the end!

Ok, going to go through the bullet points and offer my suggestions.

Firstly, Temperature. I would raise this by 2-3 degrees C. I have always had more success with slightly warmer water. It speeds up the metabolism which in turn makes them grow faster.

Second, feeding. Fish flake is not the best choice as frogs (and therefore tadpoles) have different dietary needs than fish. Pick up some HBH or Zoomed frog bites or Reptomin sticks and use a mortar and pestle to grind these to a very, very fine powder. Feed 2-3 times a day. You can also make what I call "Bloodworm Broth" - take a cube of frozen bloodworm and defrost in 2/3 - 1 cup of water and liquify in a blender. Pour the mix right into the tank. Only use this to supplement up to 1 feeding a day.

Next, Water Changes. These are of the highest importance. Foul water can quickly wipe out tadpoles, especially in a small container. The best way I have found for changing water is to use an air hose to siphon from the bottom of the tank. I can not stress enough to siphon from the bottom - this is where fouling food and waste will collect, not so much in the water column. A turkey baster is also extremely useful. Do 30% water change daily, or 10% after each feeding. Make sure to treat the water with a conditioner to remove chlorine and match the temperature as best as you can.

Oxygen. Use an aerator with an air stone on a low setting. You don't need a high flow. The bubbles themselves do not add oxygen to the water but the surface disturbance does.

Space. You would do much better with a 40 liter (10 gallon tank). The size increase adds a greater volume to dilute waste which is your biggest enemy. Fouling water is the main culprit with tadpole death. Next is poor diet.

I have used 20 and 30 gallon (80-120 liter) plastic tubs when raising multiple batches. I fill about halfway and have never had an issue. I have found that the round bins handle the pressure better than the rectangular bins.

Welcome - Share some pictures!!! For pictures and more info about tadpoles, feel free to check out my page on ACF - Jenste Frogs. On the left hand side you will see a navigation bar. Under "Breeding" you will find some helpful hints.
    72 Gallon Bow - ACF and GF tank.
    26 Gallon Bow - ACF tank.

20 Gallon Long - ACF tank.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Hi Jen,

Thanks for your reply. It's very useful!

I've taken your advice and raised the temperature to 25 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by Jenste View Post
    Second, feeding. Fish flake is not the best choice as frogs (and therefore tadpoles) have different dietary needs than fish. Pick up some HBH or Zoomed frog bites or Reptomin sticks and use a mortar and pestle to grind these to a very, very fine powder. Feed 2-3 times a day. You can also make what I call "Bloodworm Broth" - take a cube of frozen bloodworm and defrost in 2/3 - 1 cup of water and liquify in a blender. Pour the mix right into the tank. Only use this to supplement up to 1 feeding a day.
    I did think it was a bit odd that every page I found about raising ACF tadpoles said fish flakes were OK, as I knew you couldn't feed them to froglets/adult frogs! I hadn't even thought about grinding reptomin sticks! I have loads of them that my adult frogs won't touch, so I'll start feeding them these tomorrow. I have a freezer full of bloodworms too but my blender's hard to clean at the best of times so I might give them a miss!

The best way I have found for changing water is to use an air hose to siphon from the bottom of the tank. I can not stress enough to siphon from the bottom - this is where fouling food and waste will collect, not so much in the water column. A turkey baster is also extremely useful. Do 30% water change daily, or 10% after each feeding.
    Do you have any tips on how to siphon the water from the bottom without sucking up any tadpoles? I just accidentally sucked one up - the poor little thing Thankfully he's OK but I was being as careful as I could not to suck any up and he just got sucked up out of nowhere. After I sucked him up, I decided to remove all of the tadpoles (with a cup) and put them in a large bowl while I changed the water, but it took me an hour to catch them all, by which time their bowl of water had changed temperature and it must have been stressful for them. Do you recommend removing the tadpoles for water changes, or is there a way of siphoning the water without sucking them up?

My air pump is way too powerful, even though it's only a cheap one. It's the only one they had in both fish shops near me, so I'll have to look online for an adjustable one. Will the tadpoles be OK in the mean time without until it comes in the post?

Thanks again for the advice I'll take a look at your website and post some pictures/videos soon.

Nationality
    [United States]

Hi Gemma!

With the airline I do a two handed approach when the tads are really little. I use one hand to hold and guide the airline tubing along the bottom of the tank and the other hand to "shoo" away the tads. I have the airline empty out into a bucket and this is where the turkey baster really comes in handy - - any tads who end up going for a ride are easy to suck up from the bucket and put back into the tank. I never removed the tads during water changes. If they are hovering in one spot that I really want to siphon I tap gently a few times in the area and they swim to the opposite side of the tank.

If your air pump is too powerful then put a knot in the airline. You can loosen/tighten it as needed until you have a flow you are comfortable with. You can also disperse the flow a bit by putting on a spliter as if you were going to attach multiple airlines, they can either be used to run multiple tanks at once or simply left open to release some of the air pressure.

"If there were an invisible cat in that chair, the chair would look empty. But the chair does look empty; therefore there is an invisible cat in it." C.S. Lewis, Four Loves, 1958

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Thanks Jen. I'll try that tomorrow when I change the water again, and I'll buy a turkey baster asap. The buckets that I empty the water into when I'm doing water changes are black so it's hard to see if I've sucked any tadpoles up. I'm going to have to buy a white one I think. If tying a knot in the pump's airline doesn't work I'll cut a little hole in it until I can get a splitter.

There's something wrong with one of my tadpoles I just noticed him lying on his side on the bottom. I thought he was dead, but then he tried swimming up to the top. He keeps sinking back to the bottom every time he tries to swim. He can't stay in the middle of the water at all. What could be wrong? He wasn't like this earlier because I had all of the free-swimming tadpoles in a bowl and none of them were resting on the surface. He looks about the same size as the one I sucked up, so I'm wondering if it's the same tadpole and I've hurt him, or if it's more likely to be something else?

Nationality
    [United States]

Could be dietary problems, water changing problems, ammonia levels, genetic deficiency ....who knows. Roughly 60% of tadpoles actually make it to frog stage. The rest die off from any number of problems.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

He died, and there's another one doing the same thing but this one keeps getting up and trying again every time he sinks The rest seem fine though. I think it might be because I stressed them out by chasing them around the tank with a cup earlier when I changed their water. It took me an hour to catch all the tadpoles so by the time I was ready to put them back in their tank, the water in the bowl they were in was cold (my house is freezing), and their tank water was 25 degrees, so that must have stressed them too. I won't be doing that again. I'll test the water in the morning (it's 3am here) as well to make sure that's OK.

I managed to reduce the flow of the air pump, by the way. I cut loads of tiny holes in the airline.

I also counted the tadpoles earlier since I was removing them one by one to change the water. I had exactly 80, but 79 now since one died. I'm definitely going to need to buy that bigger plastic tub!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I still can't do these water changes without sucking tadpoles up, and my gravel vacuum has grids and bits of plastic on the inside that could easily kill a tadpole. I was being as careful as I could possibly be, had a friend on tadpole watch and still sucked one up within the first 30 seconds. I had to give up and try to scoop some of the stuff off the bottom out with a cup instead. It might be easier when I get a larger tub (hopefully this weekend) but right now I really don't think it's possible to use a gravel vacuum in there. I don't know I'm going to keep the tank clean.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

For anyone struggling to vacuum the bottom of the tank without sucking tadpoles up, I've found a solution. It takes a bit longer, but it's worth it.

I got a long a piece of standard-width airline tubing (the stuff you use for air pumps/airstones, etc) and created a vacuum with it. To do this, I took the pipe to the bathroom and held one end under the running tap. I waited until there was a steady flow of water coming out of the other end, then I put my thumb over the end with the water coming out of it and kept water running into the opposite end until all the air bubbles had gone from inside the pipe. I then blocked this end with my thumb too and brought the pipe back to the tank, still blocking both ends with my thumbs. I held one end of the pipe in the bucket below the tadpole tank and the other end in the tank, and released both of my thumbs to create a steady flow of water coming from the tank.

I managed to clean the bottom of the tank thoroughly and avoid hurting any tadpoles! Because the water comes out much slower, even if the tadpoles swum close to the tube, they didn't get sucked up. The larger tadpoles probably wouldn't even fit in the tube, and even if the smaller ones did get sucked up they'd have a much smoother ride than being forced through the grids and bumpy plastic of the gravel vacuum at high speeds. After cleaning the bottom, I just used a cup to get out the rest of the water that I wanted to remove.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I love seeing how much the tadpoles grow and change every day The smallest ones which hatched a few days ago all started free-swimming today. They're tiny and it's hard to imagine that the largest ones were exactly the same size as them just under a week ago. The larger ones are getting little barbs starting to emerge. I can see their little hearts beating inside them, and they're getting more pigments on their backs. I have 81 tadpoles now (I found 2 newly hatched ones hanging around in the tank with their father a couple of days ago) and no more have died Most of them hatched a week ago today. I can't wait to see how much they will have changed by this time next week!

Nationality
    [United States]

So glad to hear your babies are doing well!!!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

So glad to hear your babies are doing well!!!
    :D I'll try to get some pictures/videos up soon!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

Just a quick update:

Most of the tadpoles have little legs now! Their legs have been developing for about a week but I wasn't sure if they were just strings of poo until the legs got a bit bigger and I noticed their little feet!
    Most of the tadpoles are growing quickly. One of them is tiny though. She's the same size as the others were when they were two days old but she's over 2 weeks old now (from hatching)! She rests on the bottom a lot and every day I expect her to be dead but somehow she's still alive! I don't think she's going to make it to the froglet stage but I hope she surprises me. I still have 80 tadpoles in total. I can't wait for their arms to grow :D

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

I have a few questions, if anyone can help:

1) I've noticed a few of my larger tadpoles coming up to the surface of the water for air a few times. They don't do this often, but I've noticed it happening 3 or 4 times over the last few days. They seem healthy, I'm doing regular water changes and I have an air pump in there on a low setting. I know that eventually they will be breathing at the surface, but they've only just developed their back legs so I'm not sure if it's normal for them to be doing this already. Does anybody know?

2) Once some of them have morphed into frogs and I have separated them from their tadpole siblings, is this when I should introduce a filter to the tank, rather than just an airstone? The reason I'm asking is because I only have one air pump, so I'm wondering if I'll have to buy a new one for the newly morphed froglets, or if I can just use a filter with an air pump attachment? They don't even have arms yet, but I just want to be prepared.

3) The videos and photos of ACF tadpoles that I've seen online always have a thin coating of food (and tadpole waste) on the bottom of the tank. My tank never looks like this. I was feeding them twice a day up until they developed legs a few days ago. Now I'm feeding them 3 times per day, but there's never food resting on the bottom. Should there be? I haven't read anywhere that the food should coat the bottom, but all the pictures/videos that I've seen are like that. 70% of the tadpoles are large and growing very quickly, but the other 30% are a lot smaller than the larger ones were at their age. They are growing, but nowhere near as quickly as the larger ones. I'm not sure if this is just a case of individual tadpoles developing at different rates, or if the larger ones are filtering out all the food so the smaller ones aren't eating enough?

Thanks.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United Kingdom]

One of the tadpoles has arms now :) The rest of the largest ones are getting arm buds!

Thread Information