Thread: HELP with pacman setup!

nicoleirene

Default HELP with pacman setup!

Hello, i fell in love with a little green pacman about 2 weeks ago at a local pet store, i had 3 empty tanks at my house, 1, 30gallon & 2, 10 gallons, i cleaned out a 10gallon tank really good as well as all the decorations i had for it (fake plants, water bowl, etc..) determined i wanted this frog.. Anyways i decided to do research about them before bring him/her home i wanted to be prepared. I finally purchased him anlong with eco earth subtrate this last Saturday, my only question is i have 2 50w red heat bulbs, they seem to dry his plants out very quickly which i already assumed it would, i also purchased a under-tank heater (which i have heard much controversy about) so my question is this, do you use under tank heater? if so where on the tank? if the heater in under the tank one side on the terrairium stays about about 73 while the other heats to about 82 if the heater is placed on the side of the terrarium the whole tank stays about 71.. this is with the 50w red light also.. HELP! how do i balance my tank without hurting my frog i have heard so many storys on google of untertank heaters hurting pacman because they burrow... any advice would be awesome, thanks! this is my Pacman i named Gia
    Name:  frog.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  73.7 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ninkyninja

Default Re: HELP with pacman setup!

You never want to put them on the bottom you need to put it on the side of one end. I had problems with mine heating the tank also so i purchased another to put on the other side of a corner.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Read this Frog Forum - Pacman and Horned Frogs - Ceratophrys - Care and Breeding

Any indepth questions feel free to ask.

Look up the Zoo Med Hygrotherm and Zoo Med Reptifogger. These assist in maintaining the climate for you. Look on Amazon.com

nicoleirene

ok thankyou! i have a reptifogger but will look into the Zoo Med Hygrotherm right now, thanks again! what temps do you keep your Pacman at and do you use the red heat lights?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleirene View Post
    ok thankyou! i have a reptifogger but will look into the Zoo Med Hygrotherm right now, thanks again! what temps do you keep your Pacman at and do you use the red heat lights?
    I keep them 80° to 83° during the day and 75° to 79° at night. I do use infrared bulbs at night. You can use a space heater to help raise the ambient room temp. This will help keep the enclosure warmer. The UTH should go on the side opposite the side where the water dish is. Use a Fluker's 5.5" or 8.5" clamp lamp with dimmer switch. This will allow you to adjust the amount of light and heat more accurately.

The Hygrotherm will control the fogger and heat for you. It will turn the fogger on when the humidity drops below your set level and turn it back off once it returns to that level.

nicoleirene

Awesome im currently online purchasing one! should have it in a few days time and hopefully all my worrying will end.. (proabably not) with the clamp & dimmer switch would you suggest a ceramic or a bulb? and what watt?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by nicoleirene View Post
    Awesome im currently online purchasing one! should have it in a few days time and hopefully all my worrying will end.. (proabably not) with the clamp & dimmer switch would you suggest a ceramic or a bulb? and what watt?
    You can use either, but don't go higher than 50 watts.

Thread Information