Thread: ADF Feeding question

LunaDay

Default ADF Feeding question

Do these little guys know when to stop eating or will they overeat?

Also, I just read in the ACF forum they benefit from floating plants...is this also true for the ADFs or will they use them to escape?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: ADF Feeding question

floating plants makes aquatic frogs feel more secure and allows them to bask which is part of their natural behavior and if anything reduces the risk of escape

LunaDay

Quote Originally Posted by mpmistr View Post
    floating plants makes aquatic frogs feel more secure and allows them to bask which is part of their natural behavior and if anything reduces the risk of escape
    Awesome! Thank you. I'm off to find some good floating plants and maybe unleash some Ambulia.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by LunaDay View Post
    Awesome! Thank you. I'm off to find some good floating plants and maybe unleash some Ambulia.
    Oh to answer your second question, I'm not 100% sure if ADF are bottomless pits but I know ACF are. I would imagine most frogs would eat as much food as they could when possible. I would feed them as much as they can eat in 15 minutes and clean out the rest. You can kind of get a feel for it after a while, if your frog becomes fat, feed less, if skinny, feed more. Shoot for gently rounded frogs and you'll know when they've had enough.

LunaDay

Great info! Thank you very much.

Miss Blue

I know with my ADF's I had to start removing some of the food after I had seen them swim away from it and apparently full (their little tummies were telltale signs of this). If the food is not removed it can go rotten in the tank and I would worry about fungus/bacteria. And after reading this I think I may need to get some floating plants for my tank! right now i just have bamboo which they love but I think it's time for something new in the tank!

LunaDay

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
    I know with my ADF's I had to start removing some of the food after I had seen them swim away from it and apparently full (their little tummies were telltale signs of this). If the food is not removed it can go rotten in the tank and I would worry about fungus/bacteria. And after reading this I think I may need to get some floating plants for my tank! right now i just have bamboo which they love but I think it's time for something new in the tank!
    Thank you The problem I am running into most is the food floating away! In the new setup I have, I placed a small glass bowl down into the gravel and I am going to attempt to get the food to stay in one place that way when I move them to the new tank....I cannot adequately monitor who is eating what. I have a small cave I carved from a rock and I can feed the pellets in there, but the blood worms just take off and I have to do a full gravel vacuum every time I feed them and I'm afraid I'm removing beneficial things vacuuming all the time, plus I'm doing a lot of water changes that way and I'm not sure if they number too many now in regards to beneficial things I am removing.

I can't wait to get my floating plants in there. I bet I will see my froggies more then

Miss Blue

not sure about your tank but with mine i am able to turn the filter right down so the food can basically stay in one place and it is easier for me to clean up (those bloodworms do tend to float away!). you might be right with the gravel vaccuum and the beneficial bacteria....I guess the key is to see what works for your frogs/tank!

Thread Information