Thread: Echo's progression (no idea exactly what's going on... and vet is more clueless than I am!)

silivrentoliel

Default Echo's progression (no idea exactly what's going on... and vet is more clueless than I am!)

So, my avatar was Echo when I first got him (her?)... but here's a better picture.
    Name:  echo-new.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  60.4 KB

Fairly quickly, poor little Echo got these... which went away once I moved his plant from the original pot into a larger one w/ only moss as substrate in the pot
    Name:  echo-green spots.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  92.5 KB

Now, he's better colored (no more spots) but seems to just sit around with his 3rd eyelid (the nictitating membrane, right?) up all the time... doesn't really seem to hunt (he's in a separate kritter keeper with a water bowl and crickets right now to see if he'll eat) and will open his eyes if he's pissed off about something, but otherwise won't....

Name:  IMAG0012.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  46.3 KB Name:  IMAG0035.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  53.1 KB

Normal set up:
    20 gallon tank, tile as substrate (with moss in patches), a live plant, climbing vine, couple little "hides" for them to hide under, uv light for the plant, UTH, ceramic bulb to keep temps up during the winter, mister that keeps the humidity around 50-70% unless I turn it off and forget to turn it back on... there's one other frog, Tadpole,
    Name:  IMAG0013.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  36.7 KB

who was purchased about the same time and is a PIG... Echo's spots appeared after I got Tadpole... and he's never had an issue. He's a little booger

Bowls are cleaned daily, everything else is taken out and scorched with boiling water (to kill the mold) every other or every three days, and the water that gets under the tile is cleaned out and the tank wiped down with hot hot water... I wasn't sure if I could use a 50/50 vinegar solution or not with them... He's been doing better since I started using boiling water every other day or so... but he still won't open his eyes

Vet did say they were really clear though... which is great, I suppose, but annoying that I live in such a small town.

Right now, Echo's in a medium sized critter keeper in the 20 gallon tank (for warmth and to keep him safe from the cats) to see if I can get him to eat and to maybe see if it's Tad that's freaking him out? I don't really know.

I have tired to feed him repti-boost, but only tried once before the vet gave me a slightly smaller syringe to try with. Haven't tried it since then.

Right now, he's chillin in the shallow water bowl...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Echo's progression (no idea exactly what's going on... and vet is more clueless than I am!)

Hi there
    Whites tree frogs can get spots sometimes but i dont know the cause, its normal to have few small white ones but the green ones looks like something different, maybe Lynn or Heather will see your post and have a hypothesis.
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

KimW

Default Re: Echo's progression (no idea exactly what's going on... and vet is more clueless than I am!)

I'm sure one of the frog experts on this forum will read this and chime in soon. The pics of your frog when the green spots were present, look very similar to what my frog looked like when he was afflicted with a bacterial infection. You say the spots are gone, so this may not be his issue at all, however, you still might want to read the post above "whites frog in trouble- please help" as they too, are dealing with this problem, and you may get some very useful info. How long has it been since your frog has eaten? If it has been a few days, you might want to start with the pedialyte soaks. Anyway, just wanted to post since I see that you haven't gotten many replys yet.

KimW

Sorry. Clearly, you did read that thread ..hope your guy is doing better.

silivrentoliel

hah, it's ok He's still just hanging out either in his bowl or his hide... but I did move them into a quieter room yesterday... hoping that'll help more

xXxHeavenxXx

Hi! hows your little guy doing? I thought this posted when you were posting on my thread but I guess it didnt go through. I wanted to warn you as I started the post for my frog I almost felt like I waited too long to take my baby to the vet. If you have a hunch something is wrong, and he is not turning around, I would try to locate a vet in the area who does have an idea about frogs. I typed in Herp vets and my area code into google and a few popped up. By the time I was panicking I wished I had made the decision to do it sooner. It got to the point where my baby completely stopped moving and honestly..looked dead. Dont wait that long like I did. If I had done it sooner..he might be better already. If he still isnt eating do start the pedialyte. It keeps them going and really perks them up!!

I hope your froggy is doing better!

silivrentoliel

I took him to the vet last week actually... and while the vet is always willing to look things up for me, he was totally confused, especially since he had no green spots and his eyes were open (because he was angry at being handled)....

I did start the pedialyte baths yesterday, and he has been more active (slightly) and a waxworm is missing from his bowl.... but I'm not sure if he ate it or it got out somehow.

He *is* hanging out on the side of his little quarantine area rather than hiding on the bottom or in his bowl though *yay*

Thread Information