Thread: New to fbt, quick question

Sidius

Default New to fbt, quick question

I had been setting up a tank for some darts but being unable to get a majority of the tank up to 78-80F, I decided to go with a group of Fire Belly Toads instead as I am not about to get an animal I cant provide proper care for. Most of the land area stays between 64-72F depending on certain areas... I have a warm spot near the water that stays around 78F, and the water itself stays around 74-76F and humidity in the tank stays around 70-80%. Tank has been setup, and filters running for about 2 weeks prior....since I wanted to monitor temps before adding any inhabitants. I added the first group of 4 fbt's yesterday and from what I can tell 2 females, and 2 males, one stays in/near the water and the other 3 prefer to stay on land, and I haven't seen them in the water yet....and that is my question... should I be worried they prefer the land area? One loves burying in the moss and just popping its head out. None of them are a dark coloration by any means and between the 4 of them cleaned up about 14 small crickets before being added to the tank yesterday.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

MantisMan

Default Re: New to fbt, quick question

Quote Originally Posted by Sidius View Post
    I had been setting up a tank for some darts but being unable to get a majority of the tank up to 78-80F, I decided to go with a group of Fire Belly Toads instead as I am not about to get an animal I cant provide proper care for. Most of the land area stays between 64-72F depending on certain areas... I have a warm spot near the water that stays around 78F, and the water itself stays around 74-76F and humidity in the tank stays around 70-80%. Tank has been setup, and filters running for about 2 weeks prior....since I wanted to monitor temps before adding any inhabitants. I added the first group of 4 fbt's yesterday and from what I can tell 2 females, and 2 males, one stays in/near the water and the other 3 prefer to stay on land, and I haven't seen them in the water yet....and that is my question... should I be worried they prefer the land area? One loves burying in the moss and just popping its head out. None of them are a dark coloration by any means and between the 4 of them cleaned up about 14 small crickets before being added to the tank yesterday.
    i think if they r prefering the land its because the water is too warm for them
    cut the water temp to 68-70 and they should be fine

Sidius

Much appreciate the reply, turned the heater down to 68F and will check them again in the am when the lights kick on....once again, thanks!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default New to fbt, quick question

Be careful they don't eat near the loose moss, to avoid accidental ingestion of it. It can cause impaction.

I think they will swim if its cooler, too.

Do you have any pictures of their set-up?

They're so cute, aren't they? I love their silly antics .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Sidius

Turning the water down worked pretty well as most stay in or near the water area now, picked up the last couple fire bellies to add to the tank today, one was all brown with dark spots instead of the green, had to get it....included a photo of him. They are pretty fun to watch specially during feeding, gave them chopped nightcrawlers and dusted crickets this evening.... some of the crickets managed to escape their fate but for the most part all 6 fbt are nice and full for the night. I did take a few photos, and I did remove the moss I had in there except for a small area under some wood that shouldn't pose an issue but I plan on swapping it out once I get some sheet moss, also still sort of want to change a couple things like changing the large rocks in the water area out for some driftwood and the land area still looks a little bare to me, but over all I don't think its to terrible for my first setup, and once the plants get a little bigger should help a little with looks and add some more hiding places and most of all....the toads seem happy. Atleast it is better than the cage at the lps they were living in, one small water bowl (which was extremely soiled) and small patch of moss and a piece of wood.

]

Thread Information