Thread: Three Questions for the Experts :)

MsKaley05

Default Three Questions for the Experts :)

I have a green tree frog, Mango. I got him with 2 other frogs, but they have since passed away. The last one passed away two weeks ago. My fear is, is that Mango is now lonely. His eating habits have not changed and activity level has not changed. But I worry that he has been around other tree frogs his whole life (at the pet store and at my house) that now he feels alone. Would you recommend I get another tree frog? I was also wanting to know if anyone else's frog,wiggles himself into the cracks of the terranium at the very top. Where the lid and glass meets. Mango is ALWAYS there. I wasn't sure if this was normal with other tree frogs or not. My last question is, I'm considering removing the substrate I have in my tank and replacing it with reptile carpet. Has anyone had luck with this? Does it hold moisture very well?

Thank you so much!

Kaley

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Three Questions for the Experts :)

1. Another might not be needed but I have seen the change in my frogs activity level when they were alone and when I added a friend. They are always together. Bottom line is as long as its the same species it cannot hurt.

2. Some tree frogs to feel safe will climb to the highest point that they can get to, they do not like things coming at them from above. That is why with tree frogs a good rule of thumb when choosing an enclosure is Height over width and length.

3. As far as the carpet goes, I have never used it personally so I cannot answer how well it holds moisture. I did however hear from some people who have used it say that it has to be washed everyday to every other or it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.

Hope that info helped.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by helm96 View Post
    1. Another might not be needed but I have seen the change in my frogs activity level when they were alone and when I added a friend. They are always together. Bottom line is as long as its the same species it cannot hurt.

2. Some tree frogs to feel safe will climb to the highest point that they can get to, they do not like things coming at them from above. That is why with tree frogs a good rule of thumb when choosing an enclosure is Height over width and length.

3. As far as the carpet goes, I have never used it personally so I cannot answer how well it holds moisture. I did however hear from some people who have used it say that it has to be washed everyday to every other or it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.

Hope that info helped.

Hi Kaley,
    I agree with Will

The carpet?
    It's difficult to clean and a little rough.

I have always used fleece fabric substrate in my red and black eyed tree frog enclosures.
    This fabric holds a lot of water! Between 4 soaking dishes and substrate changes (3 times /week) ; I use 7 gallons of de-chlorinated water. I use Aquatize to de-chlorinate tap water after filling the gallon containers from a faucet w/ a brita filter.

Photos and description of substrate here:
    http://www.frogforum.net/members/fly...exo-terra.html

However, I have never had a green tree frog.
    So, I don't know how much they 'need' or 'enjoy' their substrate.
    A red eyed tree frog could care less.
    Mine only come to to eat out of their bowls, soak in the soaking dishes and on the fabric.

Lynn
    Current Collection
    Dendrobates leucomelas - standard morph
    Dendrobates auratus “Costa Rican Green Black"
    Dendrobates auratus "Pena Blanca"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “New River”
    Dendrobates tinctorius "Green Sipaliwini"
    Dendrobates tinctorius “Powder Blue"
    Dendrobates tinctorius "French Guiana Dwarf Cobalt"

Phyllobates terribilis “Mint”
    Phyllobates terribilis "Orange"
    Phyllobates bicolor "Uraba"

Oophaga pumilio "Black Jeans"
    Oophaga pumilio "Isla Popa"
    Oophaga pumilio "Bastimentos"
    Oophaga pumilio “Mimbitimbi”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Colubre"
    Oophaga pumilio "Red Frog Beach”
    Oophaga pumilio "Rio Branco"
    Oophaga pumilio “Valle del Rey”
    Oophaga pumilio "BriBri"
    Oophaga pumilio "El Dorado"
    Oophaga pumilio "Cristobal"
    Oophaga pumilio "Rambala"

Oophaga “Vicentei” (blue)

Oophaga sylvatica "Paru"
    Oophaga sylvatica "Pata Blanca"
    Oophaga histrionica “Redhead”
    Oophaga histrionica "Blue"
    Oophaga lehmanni "Red"
    Oophaga histrionica "Tado"

Ranitomeya variabilis "Southern"
    Ranitomeya imitator "Varadero"
    Ranitomeya sirensis "Lower Ucayali"
    Ranitomeya vanzolinii

http://www.fernsfrogs.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ferns.frogs

Nationality
    [United States]

When I had my smaller tank my whites tree frogs would constantly climb to the very top and try to figure out how to get out of the top, they would also try to attach themselves to the mesh on the lid. This stressed them to no end. You could just see them all night long staring at it trying to figure it out. If your frogs are trying to wedge themselves between the tank and the lid then it's time to get a taller tank.

In the beginning I used the repti-carpet. It was very hard to clean especially if it's still in the tank. If you are going to have it in the tank with decorations on top of it, it's going to be too much of a hassle to remove it every other day or so to clean it. Now on the other hand the frogs seemed to like it. When I put the coco-fiber in for the first time they did everything they could not to step in it and were a little upset when they got it on them (now they could care less). My other reason for switching from repti-carpet to coco-fiber was one of my frogs fell from the top of the tank and he didn't right himself or stop the fall and he fell splat on his back. I was worried that they would hurt themselves so I put a softer substrate in.

As far as getting a friend....I think he's not going to be lonely without one but it's always fun to watch multiple frogs!
    4.1.0White's Green Tree Frog (OliveR, Shrek, Skitter,Frankie,Storm)
    0.3.0 Cats (Isis, Cleo, Sasha)
    1.1.0 Bearded Dragon (Dexter,my girl)(Luci, my boy)

Thread Information