Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Questions about what to do with new Green Tree Frogs

Gentlemangorath

Default Re: Questions about what to do with new Green Tree Frogs

So Verde is consistently calling around 615-630 a.m., which works for me cause I'm usually nearly up around then anyway, but I still can't tell if Boom is a female, or maybe just young, or both. I assumed Verde was female when I first got the frog, since he was significantly bigger than Boom, but it looks like that wasn't the case. Anywho, more pictures. Boom is hiding in the outer entrance to their den from the previous picture, where he/she may have been shedding I think. Verde is relaxing by the pool, staring down some crickets in the keeper next to the tank.

Boom was opening and closing his mouth while pushing his hands toward his mouth, but it didn't really look like much skin was coming off if he was shedding. There was a little bit of brown stuff next to his mouth, but I'm not sure if that was cocofiber substrate or maybe some skin. He stopped a little bit afterward though, when he was relaxing with Verde in the watering pool they are adjusting to. Verde is on the left, Boom is on the right. You'd think Verde was female based on that size difference, wouldn't you? Also, what's the best way to take pictures with decent lighting without scaring these guys? I've been turning the light back on, but even that seems like a terrible idea to take a picture =/.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

I use multiple flashes all the time to photograph both my frogs and wild frogs. I've never seen any sort of reaction from the flash. I've flashed spring peepers calling in the middle of the night and they just go on peeping like nothing happened. Frogs, and most wild animals for that matter, don't seem to care about flash.

You will get prettier results if you aren't limited to a light coming straight from the position of the camera though. You might try setting up a couple of lamps to the side of the tank, and putting parchment paper to diffuse the light on the side of the tank (or other white paper/fabric). This way you can get light into the little hidey holes and the diffusion material will make the shadows less harsh.. You'll want to use a tripod in this case, as shutter speeds will generally be pretty low. If you're using a small point and shoot, you can get a table top tripod for pretty cheap.

You might want to check out http://www.frogforum.net/general-dis...ps-tricks.html there's more advice on lighting and how to work around shooting through glass.

Gentlemangorath

Well I don't quite have that kind of equipment, but it's also the fact these guys seem really skittish still. A lot of different things will cause them to jump back into that den. Last night they were basking in the watering dish at least, so that's a good sign, but the flash from my phone often sends them running back. Perhaps it would just be better if I stopped taking pictures until they adjust more.

Nothing really fancy is needed, a desk lamp or two placed the side will make a noticeable difference in photos as your terrarium light comes from directly above which leaves many deeply shaded areas of your tank. Use the same type of bulb as your regular terrarium lighting in any side lights you add to avoid possible funny colour casts. A small tripod can be a great addition but you can do alright without one.

More time for them to adjust like you suggest could also be a good idea

Gentlemangorath

Well they're finally settling in completely I think, minus them still being a bit afraid of me most likely. Any time I come into the room during their night time activity, they freeze up and try to hide, maybe even retreat back to their den. They're both eating from tweezers however, so they must be adjusting to me at least a little. Plus, Verde spent the day time today outside of the den, so hopefully that's another good sign. And just cause everyone likes frog pictures,

Verde emulating that previous picture of Cain (that I mistakenly labeled as Abel), clinging to the side while staring.

Boom, during another attempted meet and greet (this one successful). Just want to double check though, is his dark dark green color ok? He went back to a decent shade of green when he went back into the tank, so I assume its just him trying to slightly blend to my skin, but if it is something, it'd be great to catch it early.

Boom hanging out on the log after I put him/her back into the tank.

Verde taking up the peak of Pride Log, just like Abel used to.

Verde during his meet and greet, done on a seperate night then the other image with Boom. Didn't want to scare them both in one night :P.

Verde during the day, relaxing/hiding behind the plant in the corner of the tank.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information