Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about what to do with new Green Tree Frogs

Default Re: Questions about what to do with new Green Tree Frogs

Plastic wrap will work. But glass or plexi would be better since you won't have to constantly change it.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Gentlemangorath

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Plastic wrap will work. But glass or plexi would be better since you won't have to constantly change it.
    Well it would be a temporary fix until i can get some glass or something. How often should I change it do you think?

Weekly or whenever it gets holes in it.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    It may just be my American Green is more of a chicken than usual- I only have experience with the one and they aren't native here like the Grays. I don't think any frog is as charming as a Gray, but she's still pretty awesome. I didn't realize that American Greens had such a range of colour changing ability (mine flops from bright green to brown) and she's slimmer and more elegant than a blocky looking Gray. She's also relatively more voracious, gobbling food in a flash as opposed to a Gray that takes time to swallow and savour, and I think she's faster when she hops around (I named her 'Bamf!', as in a teleporting sound). Different, but still a very enjoyable frog to keep.
    So I had a pair of Greens for about 1+ month that I rescued and nursed back to health While I had them they stayed hidden and were very skittish and VERY VOCAL right before I donated them to a reliable pet owner for a permenant home. So what I thought was a characteristic of theirs from not being cared for properly sounds like it may just be the natural behavior of the little guys. Good to know, I kinda miss the little guys but I prefer a more outgoing frog like my Whites, I already have a pair of chickens with my Dendrobates Vents.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlemangorath View Post
    Definetly better. Quick side question, I've always had a little trouble with maintaining humidity in the tank, and have since realized it's because of the screen top on my tank. I want to cover this, but I don't want to block the frogs' vertical view. Could seran wrap work to cover the top and keep the humidity in, or would the plastic degrade over time or something? I would have to change it every so often regardless, but if this is flat out bad for them, I'll find an alternative. A flat, see through piece of glass/plastic or something.
    If you have a Lowes close by they sale glass there and cut it to size for free. I had a piece cut for the top of my enclosure and it cost me $3. All I do is pull it off every other week and clean it the put it back on.

Gentlemangorath

Quote Originally Posted by helm96 View Post
    If you have a Lowes close by they sale glass there and cut it to size for free. I had a piece cut for the top of my enclosure and it cost me $3. All I do is pull it off every other week and clean it the put it back on.
    I'm probably gonna do that today since I have a Lowe's right near by. Just go in with the dimensions and ask or a cut piece of glass? And the froggies still haven't come out of hiding yet . I'm considering doing what I did with my Grays occasionally when they were first adjusting, take out the log they're hiding in, don't force them out, but try to feed them with the tweezers, let them feel safeish (this worked for my Gray's at least, they were fine with tweezer feeding afterward). I dunno if it will scare these little guy's too much though .

Live plants will also help with humidity. So does misting a couple of times a day.

Ventilation is also important for treefrogs, so don't block the entire top off. You could always try the saran wrap for a few weeks to get a feel for how much of the vent you need to block off to get humidity where you want it before you get a piece of glass cut.

Gentlemangorath

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Live plants will also help with humidity. So does misting a couple of times a day.

Ventilation is also important for treefrogs, so don't block the entire top off. You could always try the saran wrap for a few weeks to get a feel for how much of the vent you need to block off to get humidity where you want it before you get a piece of glass cut.
    I'm already fairly comfortable with how much I want to cover up, although I've now also noticed the temperature is alittle low, so maybe I need to replace the bulb soon. I guess there was a lot of stuff I had to touch up.

Gentlemangorath

Well, I tried a meet n' greet with em, but they're too afraid to come out of the log . They also didn't want to eat off the tweezers, so I tried tossing the crickets in for them to hunt. I don't see the crickets, but I don't see any poop either =/. I don't really want to search for either as well, because I feel like I'd be disturbing the frogs. Blegh.

Gentlemangorath

Well I can confirm that they are eating via hunting at least. I saw some poop at the base of the log under their den, and some coconut fiber on Verde's back, so that's good. I may have been mistaken though, but I believe I just heard a frog call from my room, which means that one of them may be a male (I'd imagine Boom, since he's the smaller of the two). So that leaves me wondering, if I leave them in there together, am I going to have tadpoles in that watering dish? When I caught my GrayTF's I caught two males to ensure that this wouldn't be a problem, but I'm hoping that this still won't be too much of an issue.

Gentlemangorath

Well, today was the day! They came out of their hidey hole, and are exploring their tank. I fed them a bit more to ensure that they both ate, but at least they're being active now . If someone would like to give me pointers as to how to upload pictures from my iphone onto here, I'll gladly share some pics as I take them. And some of my old frogs, Cain and Abel, amazing GrayTF's that they were.

i use photobucket and the photobucket app. upload to photobucket, copy the IMG link and paste into the thread. easy peasy lemon squeezy
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Gentlemangorath

Cain and Abel, Cain is the guy with the eye marking on top trying to attain amplexus with his buddy.

Abel solo.

Cain and Abel on the log. Abel wants to sit, but Cain dun wanna move.

Similar picture.

Cain and Abel, with Abel in his favorite spot, the peak of Pride Log.

And now, for the first time ever, Boom! I think this one might be male, if I actually heard a frog call this morning. I have a picture of Verde, but it's dark and not that great.

Nationality
    [United States]

Those are some adorable little guys you have there.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Gentlemangorath

They were adorable . I managed to snag a couple of pictures of Verde tonight though, exploring her(?) new home a bit more.

Also, if anyone can tell the sex of Verde off the second picture, that would be greatly appreciated. I can confirm that one of the frogs is making calls at around 9 a.m. the past two days, but I don't know which one is making the noises. Boom seems fairly smaller than Verde, so I assume that Boom is male, while Verde is female (since I've only heard one frog calling). Also, followup question, if they are a male and a female, are they guaranteed to attempt to breed, or do they need a larger body of water and certain conditions?

Gentlemangorath

Wokwokwokwokwok. That's what I woke up to this morning. Not only was I greeted by some nice Green Tree Frog calling this morning, I was able to see none other than Verde with his vocal sac slightly protruding! I think it can be assumed that Verde is a male then, despite being significantly bigger than Boom. I kind of would prefer if they were both males with one being smaller, it'd be an eerie reflection of Cain and Abel. Also, for anyone who's noticed that one of the frogs is named Green, Boom is dutch for tree. So they are Green and Tree, and they are frogs. .

purpleturtle89

i know its hard sometime and worrying about your frogs but its surprising what they will get up to while you are a sleep, and when it comes to morning again looks like they have never moved. We have a gliding tree frog that loves to dig himself under ground an and my GF worries sick over him but we have had him for months we un earth him and he has a big nice poo surely this would be enough evidence for her but its not... we spent ages making his tank perfect humidity temp etc worrying he was digging himself in because of conditions (he was sold to us as a white) the more we learned about frogs we soon realised he wasn't what we originally thought, theres very little information on these frogs but what i did find it was a trait of theres to dig or burrow under the substrate.. my point is these animals have a really strong survival instinct and by pestering them all the time and worrying probably frightens them more, i always set up a tank first monitor the conditions and when im confident with it throw the frogs in and just let them adjust... worrying doesn't do you any good or the frogs they'll be fine... worry when they become ill or look thin etc.. good luck and your frogs are pretty

Gentlemangorath

Quote Originally Posted by purpleturtle89 View Post
    i know its hard sometime and worrying about your frogs but its surprising what they will get up to while you are a sleep, and when it comes to morning again looks like they have never moved. We have a gliding tree frog that loves to dig himself under ground an and my GF worries sick over him but we have had him for months we un earth him and he has a big nice poo surely this would be enough evidence for her but its not... we spent ages making his tank perfect humidity temp etc worrying he was digging himself in because of conditions (he was sold to us as a white) the more we learned about frogs we soon realised he wasn't what we originally thought, theres very little information on these frogs but what i did find it was a trait of theres to dig or burrow under the substrate.. my point is these animals have a really strong survival instinct and by pestering them all the time and worrying probably frightens them more, i always set up a tank first monitor the conditions and when im confident with it throw the frogs in and just let them adjust... worrying doesn't do you any good or the frogs they'll be fine... worry when they become ill or look thin etc.. good luck and your frogs are pretty
    I'm past the point of monitoring and being concerned, but thank you for the input. It's been about a week since I got these guys, and they're just settling in to their new home. Glad to hear your little guy isn't providing problems for you guys as well. I just watched a video of what the gliding tree frog looks like, and it's a pretty cool little guy. Amusing that the first video I clicked on youtube was just a fair sized frog pile though. And yeah, I know they're much more active at night, I'm just a bit used to my old Grays up there that were still active and explorative during the day, compared to Verde and Boom who seem to like to hide out in the den at the bottom of the log (which was actually were Cain liked to dwell until he adjusted to the tank (which took like a month actually). When I woke up this morning, Verde was sitting facing toward Boom with his vocal sac extended, so that's how I can tell he is the male, but I could have sworn that Boom would have been the male, being fairly smaller.

purpleturtle89

thats our guy, he lives with a white tree frog we wouldnt mix any frogs again it was just how the pet shop sold them and having no clue we just thought maybe male and female and they have always been together... she is weird though she find him digs him up and sits on him no idea why its just funny to watch ...

and glad your frogs are doing well, we have some milk frogs that dont care weather its night or day just some do means you only get to see them sometimes when you wake up or are going to bed which actually makes it worth it when you finally see them doing something its like a massive achievement haha

Gentlemangorath

Quote Originally Posted by purpleturtle89 View Post

thats our guy, he lives with a white tree frog we wouldnt mix any frogs again it was just how the pet shop sold them and having no clue we just thought maybe male and female and they have always been together... she is weird though she find him digs him up and sits on him no idea why its just funny to watch ...

and glad your frogs are doing well, we have some milk frogs that dont care weather its night or day just some do means you only get to see them sometimes when you wake up or are going to bed which actually makes it worth it when you finally see them doing something its like a massive achievement haha
    Really nice frog, and it sounds amusing when one digs up the other. My guys are still being a little skittish, they still hide out during the day in the den I keep mentioning. I managed to snag a picture of Verde hanging out of the exit hole, just the way Cain used to. I edited it to make it brighter though, due to the fact there was little lighting in the picture, and I really don't want to use flash with these guys. I feel like I've scared them once already by taking that picture of Verde on the side of the log, staring. Anyway,

Original picture

Slightly touched up for a bit clearer of a picture.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information