Thread: Today I went up to make breakfast and this little guy was sitting on my stove. Perhaps a Gray Tree Frog? Is it worth it to make him a home?

FoundAFrog

Thumbs up Today I went up to make breakfast and this little guy was sitting on my stove. Perhaps a Gray Tree Frog? Is it worth it to make him a home?

Hi all! New here, and you guys/gals seemed like the most knowledgeable from browsing your forums before becoming a member. I found this guy on my stove this morning and I actually thought he was fake for a second since I'm in Minnesota and I thought these hibernated over winter. I don't know how he got in or how he managed to get all the way to the stove. I think it's a gray tree frog, but please correct me it's not. I'm trying to decide if I should put him back outside, or make him a home in my room? Any thoughts?
    Also, if I keep him I'm wondering what he likes to eat?
    Name:  182689_10100508268190262_437768937_n.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  40.3 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ndame88

Default Re: Today I went up to make breakfast and this little guy was sitting on my stove. Perhaps a Gray Tree Frog? Is it worth it to make him a ho

Yes, thats a grey tree frog, Hyla versicolor, they like crickets, I would not let it go until spring. Until spring, you can keep it in a rubbermaid with a bowl of water, keep it in a room that is 65-85 degrees, paper towels on the bottom of the container. Most pet stores sell crickets, just guessing, looks like a female by the size, so 2-3 crickets every other day, 3/4 inch size.

4. This member thanks ndame88 for this post:

FoundAFrog

Default Re: Today I went up to make breakfast and this little guy was sitting on my stove. Perhaps a Gray Tree Frog? Is it worth it to make him a ho

Cool, thank you so much for the information. I have her in a clear plastic container with holes drilled through the lid now. I'll go grab a water dish and put some paper towels in there as well. I have a small light on it now that provide a medium amount of heat. Is this enough? Also about holding it, I assume it's fine?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Today I went up to make breakfast and this little guy was sitting on my stove.

You'll need to dechlorinated the water if it's city tap water. Dechlorinator can be purchased at the pet store. You can also use bottled spring water. Do not use bottled drinking water or distilled water. Mist his home with spring water or dechlorinated water 2x/day to keep it and him moist. You should get temperature and humidity gauges for his home and stick them on at the level of 3/4 up his home. His water should be dechlorinated or spring water also and should be changed daily.

He would like a nice tall fake or real plant and branches. Real plants must be rinsed of all dirt and fertilizers and should be replanted in Eco earth substrate, plain plantation soil, or plain ground up peat moss. No fertilizers or chemicals. Do a final rinse in with the spring water before replanting in the soil. Only water the plant with dechlor or spring water too. Chlorine is toxic to frogs. You can feed the real plants by pushing the frogs poo down into the plant dirt.

Branches need to be rinsed thoroughly and then baked in the oven at 200'F for 30 minutes to kill any pests. Or you can get fake plants.

You will need to get reptile/amphibian calcium with vitamin D3 and also multivitamin supplements. Calcium should be lightly dusted on his food every other feeding and multivitamin one day a week, but not on the same day. The supplements are extremely important if you plan to keep him. He will get sick and have bone disease if you do not, and it can be painful and deadly to them. Put the crickets in a Baggie with a pinch of supplement and gently shake to coat them.

You can use a glass feeding bowl if you'd like. If it is 1 1/2" tall or more the crickets cannot climb out. He will learn to go to the bowl for food. Wipe the bowl out with a damp paper towel every couple days to remove residue or the crickets will be able to climb.

These are just a few basics. Head on over to the care articles section and read. You'll find lots of great information.

Oh, and welcome to the forum .
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

7. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Today I went up to make breakfast and this little guy was sitting on my stove.

Frogs are scared of humans and we carry staph and strep on our skin which can be harmful to them. If you have to pick him up, wash and rinse your hands thoroughly. Never use alcohol hand sanitizer, it will burn his delicate skin. Be sure to also wash off any lotions or perfumes. It is recommended that we use non-powdered gloves. Be sure also to wash your hands after holding him, as they also carry germs not good for us.

Frogs are more of a watch vs hold animal. Though, they can still be rewarding.
    Last edited by Heatheranne; February 18th, 2013 at 10:11 PM.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

9. 2 members thank Heatheranne for this post:

Eric Walker

Default Re: Today I went up to make breakfast and this little guy was sitting on my stove.

Very cool. Not something you would expect to see up here this time of year. Or where you would expect to find one either. I would hope its a Female if i were you because males are crazy loud. Not a specie i would want to keep myself since I am a really light sleeper.

11. This member thanks Eric Walker for this post:

FoundAFrog

Default Re: Today I went up to make breakfast and this little guy was sitting on my stove.

Heather, thanks for all the extremely valuable information!! I did not know basically any of it.

Cryptic, I really hope it's not a male. I too am a very light sleeper and will not be able to sleep through a frog yelling at me for a bigger house, more food, mating etc haha.

First and foremost I need to go get this little guy some food since I don't know how long it's been. I'll go tomorrow to grab a couple crickets for her.

deeishealthy

I wish I lived somewhere where there was a possibility of finding a frog on my stove!

ndame88

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Walker View Post
    Very cool. Not something you would expect to see up here this time of year. Or where you would expect to find one either. I would hope its a Female if i were you because males are crazy loud. Not a specie i would want to keep myself since I am a really light sleeper.
    Love their call, I have 2 males and a female, they can be loud, freaked our realtor out last summer when she was in our old house alone waiting to show it to potential buyers.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by FoundAFrog View Post
    Heather, thanks for all the extremely valuable information!! I did not know basically any of it.

Cryptic, I really hope it's not a male. I too am a very light sleeper and will not be able to sleep through a frog yelling at me for a bigger house, more food, mating etc haha.

First and foremost I need to go get this little guy some food since I don't know how long it's been. I'll go tomorrow to grab a couple crickets for her.
    You're welcome .

FoundAFrog

Honestly I wasn't expecting one to be there in freaking Minnesota!!

This individual could be a Grey Tree Frog (Hyla versicolor), but he/she could also be a Cope's Gray Tree Frog (Hyla chrysoscelis). Both species look extremely similar and both are found in Minnesota. The best way to tell them apart is by their calls.

FoundAFrog

I bought it a tank, water dish, crickets, moss, and a heating element!! Whatever kind it is, it's now happily dwelling in my bedroom! I've only heard it make noise one time. I really like it, but other than that it's quite quiet.

Thread Information