Thread: 38 Gallon FBT Paludarium

megamax42

Default 38 Gallon FBT Paludarium

This is a huge journal update with entries over a span of about a year.

The cardboard in the pictures is in there just until some silicone dries

The destruction left behind:

I was initially gonna use the black foam for just the waterfall and against the glass on the sides, so it would be black when looked at from the side, however after seeing how little the pond foam expands I've decided to use it for just the waterfall.

Really should've been more patient with this part, got a lot of sag. For the time being it'll at least be a good base for the top layer:

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

megamax42

Default Re: 38 Gallon FBT Paludarium

megamax42

Some Experimenting with coco fiber and grout:

Here's some pictures of the tank after the first coat of sealer dried. Still haven't fully sealed the tank because there's more grouting and great stuff work to be done so there's no fts yet but here's some closeups of it

The light I purchased for the tank, blue night LED's are at the end.

Getting very close:

The heater:

Name:  21arntrYWqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
Views: 868
Size:  5.7 KB

I ran into a couple problems when I filled it up, the little pool to the left of the water feature (which slowly feeds the pool) had a low spot in the back where it was hard to reach. When it started filling up the water would drain backwards onto the platform instead of into the water portion, an obstacle I had for some reason not thought of when I was designing it. Thought I fixed it, filled it back up and there's still water back there! However it stayed the same level, so I tried draining the water portion and sure enough it drained from the platform, so there's a hole somewhere on it. I have it partially drained right now trying to dry out the platform so I can smother it in black silicone, since there will be soil over it anyways. Yesterday I added some of the flourite as well, will post pictures when everything settles.

Bottom of the tank; when I first started and used black great stuff I ended up spraying normal great stuff on top of it while it was still wet because I ran out of the dyed G.S., that black streak along the bottom is the black G.S. expanding underneath the white. I was mindblown at first to come to the tank the next day and see black G.S. oozing out of normal G.S. about a foot from where I sprayed it lol.

Flourite original and dark, original seems a little too light, dark seems a little too dark, hopefully combined it should just about match the grout.

Heater and filter, really love the quick disconnects that came with the eheim, ball valves so I can adjust the flow to the water feature if need be.

Girlfriend lost the camera charger so in the meantime here's a crappy cell phone pic. The plant decisions/placement are not finalized yet and I still need to find some very high light plants that will be suitable for the upper planters.

Planted some dwarf baby tears in the little pool next to the waterfall in the hopes that they switch to an emersed state and form a carpet poking out of the water.

The plant on the right is a peace lily, not sure if this will stay but in the meantime it takes up some space.

The vals in the front will not be staying, I just threw em in there for cycling purposes.

That ivy-esque plant (species unknown, however it resembles Ficus pumila var. minima) on the left doesn't have a permanent location yet. I like where it is on the ramp, however I don't want it stopping the toads from climbing back on to land. I would be ecstatic if it started creeping up the planter on the left (the coco fiber thrown into the grout should be great for it to grab a hold of), however I also want some to remain hanging in the water. The white clouds (the only occupant of this tank at the moment) really enjoy them in the water and can very often be seen swimming through the leaves, an awesome effect with the backdrop of bright green and the fish so close to the surface.

I got the moss from my lfs a couple days ago, a huge patch I managed to cover most of the lower platform with for only $3. However the moss between the left cave and shallow pool isn't doing so well. I'm assuming it's the light intensity because the moss on the far left and right is doing fantastic, and they're shaded by the planter ledges. Fortunately there's a bunch of low light, medium light, and high light zones, so I'm just gonna let them do their own thing. Hopefully the different zones will do some landscaping/aquascaping for me.

As for the construction, I'm generally quite pleased with it. The only negative aspect I'm seeing is the sealer turning cloudy after being submerged. Though hopefully over time bacteria and algae will have grown and died repeatedly on it until it's no longer noticeable. If you look at the water feature where it dumps into the aquarium portion you can see it's already turned from milky colored to a dark greenish-brown.

megamax42

Good news everyone!
    Found my gf's camera charger, let the pic deluge begin. First off with some pics of a hitchhiker snail that found his way up the waterfall and into the upper pool.. and the very high surface tension that's up there.

Next up, some pics of the ivy grabbing a hold of the lower platform and the ramp. Also the moss that I collected for free outside my door, which is flourishing compared to the 'frog moss' I paid $3 for. Last is the entrance to one of their caves with a moss entry rug (they wouldn't wanna get dirt on their nice dirt floor), with some of the ivy's roots creeping in from the left.

Here's a pic of a baby snail that rode on its parents back all the way up to the tiny pool next to the waterfall, at first I thought it just had a large growth.

The next project I'm starting on (out of impatience waiting for the touchscreen and sensors to get here from Hong Kong for the 5 gallon project) is the DIY fogger for the paludarium. Just bought a humidifier earlier today, I'll post some pics up tomorrow once I've finished rigging it up.

megamax42

Found a very large shrimp in the little pool next to the waterfall the other day. I still have no idea how he got up there but he was just chilling in the baby tears. Then I moved the light to take a picture and he darted under the ledge, so this was the best picture I could get:

The vine has been doing incredibly well. I should probably get in there and do some trimming soon.

Here's some pics to illustrate how much the sealer has changed color as it gets grown over with random life. Also it appears the shrimp are now breeding in full force.

megamax42

Earlier today I bought an Arduino board for the paludarium, a mega 2560 just like the one I have on the 5 gallon shrimp tank. My first goal is to implement a ventilation system that is switchable between an open and closed system, with some temperature/humidity sensors integrated into it. There's also an inexpensive flow sensor I've had my eye on for some time. Rather pointless for the 5 gallon, but with how the water feature works in the paludarium I wouldn't mind getting some feedback on the flow rate. Maybe programming a couple small LEDs to give me a green light for good flow, yellow for adequate, and red for poor flow; at least until I can get a LCD screen for this tank as well.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

This came out really good, does the pond (black) gs stay water proof after you carve it?

megamax42

Thanks! Unfortunately the G.S. is closed cell foam on the outside, and very waterproof; however once the outer layer has been compromised it is an open cell foam. To work around this I coated it in grout, and then coated the grout with a clear 100% non-toxic sealer. This sealer turned white when submerged, however it's been established for so long now that algae and other stuff has grown on it and the white is hardly noticeable, disappearing more every day.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Ok few more?... How long did you let the grout dry? What kind of sealer did you use? What did you use the fluorite for?

megamax42

The grout dried for about a month and a half, but that was while I was waiting for the sealer. If I had the sealer on hand I would've probably given it a week or so.
    This is what I used:
    Waterproof Sealer for wood,masonry,roofs,metal

The fluorite is the aquatic substrate, as this tank also houses white cloud minnows and red cherry shrimp.
    Although for my next project I intend on mixing the aquatic substrate in with the grout, this way the theme is consistent throughout.

megamax42

I also will look for a better sealer, as it would be nice to have one that didn't discolor, even if it does eventually grow over with algae.

Very cool setup. I've seen this thread on another forum. Tpt maybe?
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

Thats a really nice setup! Great build thread.

Gorgonopsia

Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!

megamax42

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    Very cool setup. I've seen this thread on another forum. Tpt maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by helm96 View Post
    Thats a really nice setup! Great build thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgonopsia View Post
    Beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!
    Thanks everyone!
    By TPT do you mean the planted tank? And if so, you have indeed seen it there

yup, that would be the one. i thought i remembered seeing the balloon trick somewhere. i'm fishies_in_philly over there.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [Canada]

Hi there
    Thats a really awesome setup!, i really like that you put the arches underwater to support the land area, that provides a good hiding spot for the more aquatic fire bellies, i have a chubby one that loves to hide underneath rocks and underneath the filter!

Have fun with your paludarium!
    "A Righteous man cares for his animals" - Proverbs 12:10
    1.0.0 Correlophus cilliatus
    2.1.0 Bombina orientalis
    0.1.0 Ambystoma mexicanum
    0.0.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    1.0.0 Litoria caerulea
    1.1.0 Dendrobates auratus "Nicaraguan"
    0.0.2 Dendrobates tinctorius "Azureus"

megamax42

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    yup, that would be the one. i thought i remembered seeing the balloon trick somewhere. i'm fishies_in_philly over there.
    Ah, very cool, funnily enough I actually got the balloon idea from researching Do It Yourself live rock for a salt water tank, which requires lots of little pockets, so they used the tiny water balloons. I figured it would still work if I scaled it up a bit, although I think next time I'll coat the balloon is vasoline or something to prevent it sticking to the G.S.

Maybe you can clear something up for me, is it always sunny there? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Bombina Bob View Post
    Hi there
    Thats a really awesome setup!, i really like that you put the arches underwater to support the land area, that provides a good hiding spot for the more aquatic fire bellies, i have a chubby one that loves to hide underneath rocks and underneath the filter!

Have fun with your paludarium!
    Thanks! So far the fish and shrimp have been LOVING it back there. The creeping fig vine has shot its roots down in the water where the 'ramp' is, on the left side of the tank, and completely filled the space under the 'ramp' with a tangle of roots. At first it really pissed me off because I used to enjoy watching the fish swim through it, however now I realize it has created the ultimate home for baby shrimp and even smaller organisms.

Of course it's always sunny here. So much in fact, that all the residents of philly have sunshine shooting out of the butts!! Lol
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri