Thread: New Pacman frog please HELP!

drewnation

Default New Pacman frog please HELP!

So I recently obtained a pacman frog, about 4 days ago. I have eco earth coconut fiber substrate. I have a water dish and a few fake plants to hopefully make him be a little more safe (hard to explain what they are but aquarium décor that I cut the base off so I could spread them out like tall grass some what but they have nodes with leaves that come off then on both sides). I have a UTH for night and a 50w daylight blue bulb for the day cycle. (I bought the tropical startup kit at petsmart) Here's the issue, he flips over on his back constantly, I have came home he was like that this morning I checked on him before I turned the light on he was normal turned the light on and peeked over about 10minutes later, flipped over.. flipped him back over and 5-10mins later he flipped over again. From what I read this sounds like he could be severely stressed out or possibly getting some toxicity poisoning somehow. my water is tap that I have removed the chlorine and chloramine with water conditioner that I use for my fish, that's okay, right? Please help im concerned he's not doing good and I know they aren't the most active pets but if he's going to chill on his back forever I will have to return him regrettably.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Pacman frog please HELP!

would you please post pic of a frog and enclosure, what are your temps? humidity? where is your UTH positioned? have you used same treated tap water for expanding your eco earth? what is the size of your tank? did you cover 3 sides of it?

your conditioner is fine, your lamp worries me, need to see what is it, never used that one before, but daylight lamps usually some UVB, is your frog albino?
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

The Daylight blue is too bright. Flipping over is a sign of severe stress.

Answer Lija's question and post pics.

drewnation

Name:  frog enclose.jpg
Views: 417
Size:  47.7 KB

drewnation

not albino - 78degrees, almost 80% humidity. As you can see from the picture the enclosure is very small I have the UTH basically going along with the tank starting from the left of the picture I have it pulled out a little as its not completely covered by the enclosure, I also put a piece of cloth around it so it doesn't burn him if he decides to flip over and actually dig a hole -.-.

drewnation

Oh an I just turned off the blue daylight bulb, I had it positioned away from the tank somewhat so it wasn't pointed directly on him or completely on the tank, I just had it mostly for heat because I read it should be a little warmer in the day and also for the 12 hour light cycle. Can I keep it on it its pointed away from him to where its just hitting the side a little for additional warmth or should I just get a different light? Thanks a ton for all you guys advice and information I really appreciate it I was this guy to grow into a beast ^_^

Nationality
    [Canada]

ok, from what i see ( not much ) the enclosure is pretty shallow plastic tub, is it right? if so - light is too close, too bright for a frog and he is stressing out, for now turn it off.
    I don't see a frog. pls post better pics and answer questions, we need to find out what is it so you can fix the problem.

edit we replied at the same time.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by drewnation View Post
    78degrees, almost 80% humidity. As you can see from the picture the enclosure is very small I have the UTH basically going along with the tank starting from the left of the picture I have it pulled out a little as its not completely covered by the enclosure, I also put a piece of cloth around it so it doesn't burn him if he decides to flip over and actually dig a hole -.-.
    I need to see more pictures. Specifically of the frog and the outside of the enclosure. Pics of the location of the UTH. Is it on the bottom or the side.

Nationality
    [Canada]

temps are a bit too low, you want to keep 80-82 ( day) 76-78( night), but it shouldn't stress him out to the point he is now.
    the problem is your tank too - you need higher walls. minimum 12", 18" would be better, then you can put your light on it. just get regular energy saving lowest voltage lamp for day/night cycle, or one of those mini lamps ( zoomed?)

drewnation

Name:  IMAG0302.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  30.1 KBName:  IMAG0303.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  44.9 KBName:  IMAG0304.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  46.1 KB

drewnation

The light was about 12inches away from him I have it clamped above the enclosure. Also it was turned to where it was directly pointed at him kind of just on the corner wall there.

Nationality
    [Canada]

do you have any screen top? or it is open?
    still don't see a frog, can you do a close up?

and take the UTH out asap, it can't be placed under the tank, it should be on a side.

Nationality
    [United States]

You need a better setup. Use a medium critter keeper. Use a UTH made for Hermit Crab enclosures and place it on the side of the keeper. The UTH for Hermit Crab enclosures is safe for plastic. Cover the top of the keeper with plastic wrap which you can tape to the lid. Keep the vents on the ends uncovered and cut a hole in the top of the plastic wrap where the clear window opening is so you can still use it to mist and place feeders in. Cover 3 or all of the sides with a natural background, dark construction paper, or a natural looking static cling background.

This will provide a better and much more efficient setup. You can add one of two of the fake plants for security.

Nationality
    [United States]

That lid is a problem whether you're keeping it open or closed. Open, it won't retain humidity like it needs to and the frog runs the risk of hopping out (you wouldn't think they could get out of things like that, but they can) and closed there wouldn't be enough air circulation.

Nationality
    [Canada]

oh yes, they CAN jump like you won't believe lol not just hop, learned it hard way lol was very funny for those who saw, not so much for me in a moment.

Thread Information