Thread: Easy yet safe way to heat water?

Instinct101

Default Easy yet safe way to heat water?

If been trying to use a submersible heater to keep my pyxie's water pool (dimensions 13" long, 7" wide) warm on the cooler side. It's one of those from walmart that only goes up to 78 degrees. I have a stealth heater that can get warmer than that but it gets hot to the touch and I'm afraid she would get burnt by it. Are there any heaters with adjustable knobs that don't pose any burn risks at all, or is the mid/high 70s fine for water temps? The warm side, with the substrate, is kept in the constant mid 80s via infrared heat lamp.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

cyris69

Default Re: Easy yet safe way to heat water?

I swapped out recently for this in my water area. Amazon.com: Tetra Aquatic Reptile Heater, 100 Watt: Pet Supplies

To be honest any heater should be fine, if you have one that works just cover it with gravel or large rocks if your worried about them touching it. I've never had any issues with open or closed heaters in my tanks.

I try to keep 77-82F for water temps. In that range they tend to stay in the water even though the land area is warmer (84+)

Nationality
    [France]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

During the day, my water bowl is heated by the 50W spot lamp of the enclosure..
    At night, the room where the enclosure is is from 68F to 73,4F and I don't heat the water. The water becomes at ambient temperature.
    1.0.0 Ceratophrys ornata CB
    0.1.0 Pleurodeles waltl CB
    1.0.0 Pyxicephalus adspersus CB

Herpguy

If the water is in a separate container sitting on the glass you can use an under tank heater, that's what I use.

Hoppity100

I also have the same heater you do and mine only goes to 76 degrees. I have not seen a heater with adjustable temp which makes sense to me. If I think my frogs are cold (at night) I cover part of the tank with clear plastic wrap which creates humidity. It works out fine for them. I do this during winter, summer will be different.

Instinct101

I have a Ranco thermostat I use for my leopard gecko's heat mat. It came with a power strip but only one probe. If I go the UTH path would I need another thermostat? Isn't that supposedly why it's wired (it was pre-wired, I know nothing of electronics) with a power strip?

To Hoppity: I have a stealth heater (Stealth Pro), which is adjustable up to 88 degrees. Problem is it gets really hot on the end of it, likely where the actual heating unit/thing is. I touched it once and it scaled me, which made me worry about putting in my pixie's water box. Here's what I'm currently trying to do to solve the problem: I cut a piece of square, plastic pipe (similar to PVC, but it came from a plastic fence post) with an electric saw, and plan to use that as a sort of improvised "sheath" for the heater, and glued it into a corner of a pan just like the one in the cage with the weaker heating device with silicone sealant. I carefully cut to a size so that I can sheath the hottest part of the heat but can still take it out so I can change the water. Waiting for the sealant to cure at the moment. Hoping this will work. Best idea I could think of, though the heat mat idea did cross my mind before.

Hoppity100

We must not sell this type of heater here, but yes 88 degrees is way too warm! I see what you are doing but it sounds like alot. I have a submersible heater, no need for foam or silicone. I have a thermometer in the water and check my heater every day, it only gets to 76 degrees. But its safe that way, being pre-set. Is the heat mat for use above only or under the water? And I have not seen pixies here so I don't know their environment. I have 4 FB's and all get along great. Glad you wrote!

Eridu Serpent

I have a very low 25w heater in about 3 inches of water, under the container is a heat cable...the heat bulb is in the middle of the tank.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Not going to work for every setup, but I keep the room my frogs are in at 80 deg. I don't heat the water. There is a basking spot over part of the water hooked to a zoo Med hydro therm that turns on automatically and keeps the cage at temp. My water stays around 78-81 deg.
    -----------------
    Thanks
    DW
    Thanks
    DW

Thread Information