Thread: Prospective New American Toad - cute!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Prospective New American Toad - cute!

Name:  IMG_3138.jpg
Views: 1657
Size:  96.4 KBName:  IMG_3134.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  79.2 KBName:  IMG_3133.jpg
Views: 1606
Size:  75.6 KBName:  IMG_3132.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  70.5 KB

So, a guy on craigslist feels he can't provide for her anymore and is looking to give her away to someone who'd take good care of her. (that's me!) He called it a "he" but based on size, I feel it's a she-toad. Forgot to ask him about throat color when we spoke. She's at least 3yrs old. I don't think the size difference between her and Banjo will matter much, as long as he gets enough to eat. What I'm wondering is, does she look like she's carrying eggs? Is she just fat? Scared? Normal? I know this toad is absolutely adorable, no question of that. Going to try to get her next week, and of course, keep her separate for a month or two before introducing them. I'm very excited about it, just wondering what anyone else thought of her extra chubby appearance. The guy said she was all bloated from being in the water. Maybe he interrupted her private bathroom time for a photo shoot.
    "We like our choruses sung together, we like our arms in our brother's arms...
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    and I'll love you forever if I ever love at all,
    wild hearts..."
    1.2.0 Felis Catus - "Zoey" "Mouse" "Casey"(step-cat)
    0.1.0 B. a. americanus - "Banjo"
    1.0.0 Myotis lucifugus - "Fiendly" rest in peace, buddy. 06/15/13
    Rest in peace my sweet Ukulele 01/29/14

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Prospective New American Toad - cute!

From the size I would say it's a female also. She's beautiful and has adapted to captivity very well so I would say get her as soon as you can before someone else snaps her up. She could be full of eggs, or just fat from eating well, or just full of water from soaking. I don't think she's puffed up in defensive mode since she is sitting in the hand without being restrained. Lucky you.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

One more thing. If she is solid and the “fatty” doesn't go down, she could be egg-bound. I would contact a vet on that one. I lost Rosie to that last year. But please don't let that stop you from getting her. The chances are slim about the egg-bound condition.

Nationality
    [United States]

Oh I'm all set to get her. Just have to pick up a temporary house for her this weekend. Talked to the guy on the phone, and he's convinced I'd care for her. Have to go all the way back to the old neighborhood, about an hour away, for her, but worth it. No one else with toads has gotten back to me. Good, cuz I already love this one. She was actually found in NH and the guy had had a toad previously and took her home. He must have taken good care of her, from the looks. He says she's docile and she doesn't mind being handled. That was in the ad and it freaked me out, that he might be carrying her around or something. I'm almost positive it's a girl, cuz I looked very closely at the warts and they do look kind of pointy. I read that girl-toads have pointy warts.

She's a good inch bigger than my Banjo, tho. I know that's normal, but for hanging out, not just mating in a pond, will that be ok? Doubt she'll try to eat my nugget but she'll probably take his food. Oh but oh! I have a solution to that! The other day I tong-fed him for the 1st time. Over the course of the day he ate 3 or 4 newly molted mealworms from the tongs. 1st time I tried it I didn't think it'd work, but I held it in front of him and it got his attention, and he snapped it up. Tried it later and he had some trouble with one, going after a shadow and the tongs and I may have been holding the worm too tightly or there was too much powder but we had some failed attempts. I didn't give up tho, and eventually he got it and then took another with ease. I was proud, and it was soooooo cute, and I'm encouraged to try earthworms now. Oh! And this toad has taken down a worm. So doubly encouraged.

Aaaaand, how are your toads? I saw your new tree frog pics (i love their smiles), but like the girl asked, any new toad pics?
    We sing with our heroes 33 rpm, we're never goin home until the sun says we're finished,
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

Nothing new with my toads, I've just seen Morph and Rufus, not sure about the other 4 still underground. But Morph & Rufus starting to come up more often, I think I have some updated pics on my "the gang" thread. But any way....happy to hear you'll be getting her. And I don't think you'll have to worry about Banjo, you'll just have to adjust as to how many feeders you put in the tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by yoshimi View Post
    Oh I'm all set to get her. Just have to pick up a temporary house for her this weekend. Talked to the guy on the phone, and he's convinced I'd care for her. Have to go all the way back to the old neighborhood, about an hour away, for her, but worth it. No one else with toads has gotten back to me. Good, cuz I already love this one. She was actually found in NH and the guy had had a toad previously and took her home. He must have taken good care of her, from the looks. He says she's docile and she doesn't mind being handled. That was in the ad and it freaked me out, that he might be carrying her around or something. I'm almost positive it's a girl, cuz I looked very closely at the warts and they do look kind of pointy. I read that girl-toads have pointy warts.

She's a good inch bigger than my Banjo, tho. I know that's normal, but for hanging out, not just mating in a pond, will that be ok? Doubt she'll try to eat my nugget but she'll probably take his food. Oh but oh! I have a solution to that! The other day I tong-fed him for the 1st time. Over the course of the day he ate 3 or 4 newly molted mealworms from the tongs. 1st time I tried it I didn't think it'd work, but I held it in front of him and it got his attention, and he snapped it up. Tried it later and he had some trouble with one, going after a shadow and the tongs and I may have been holding the worm too tightly or there was too much powder but we had some failed attempts. I didn't give up tho, and eventually he got it and then took another with ease. I was proud, and it was soooooo cute, and I'm encouraged to try earthworms now. Oh! And this toad has taken down a worm. So doubly encouraged.

Aaaaand, how are your toads? I saw your new tree frog pics (i love their smiles), but like the girl asked, any new toad pics?

Nationality
    [United States]

I looked through your pics (LOVE your pics!!) and nothing new. Gotta wait til spring I guess.

Picked up a big 20 gallon for them to live in together. Banjo will probably move in there 1st, and she'll take Banjo's current home (all cleaned out).
    wild hearts..."

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    Nothing new with my toads, I've just seen Morph and Rufus, not sure about the other 4 still underground. But Morph & Rufus starting to come up more often, I think I have some updated pics on my "the gang" thread. But any way....happy to hear you'll be getting her. And I don't think you'll have to worry about Banjo, you'll just have to adjust as to how many feeders you put in the tank.
    Found the thread you were talking about. This craigslist guy hasn't written since Sat. If it's anything other than him realizing she was the cutest little creature in the world and deciding to keep her, I'm going to hunt him down and take her. Just kidding, but it's terrible to take pics of such a gorgeous toad for me, then flake. Oh well, it's only Tues, and we agreed on a vague "sometime this week". Still hopeful.

Oh, and I suspect my Banjo might be a girl-toad too, in which case she'll grow more, making the bigger home I bought a good purchase regardless.
    wild hearts..."

Thread Information