Thread: zilla bulbs

ninkyninja

Default zilla bulbs

Anyone ever have a problem with zilla bulbs? I bought a 50 watt night red heat bulb yesterday and after only a few hours the bulb blew. Found out i got the wrong bulb anyway think a need an infrared bulb instead so kinda glad it blew if it could have harmed my frog. Still i think its rediculous to blow after only a short time. I got on the zilla.website and sent them a message but no reply yet.

Ok on a side note i have an albino and need some kind of heat light. Read somewhere an infrared was ok. I have a uth but with the temps so low i am having a hard time keeping the temps up. Right now i am having to keep my room heater by his cage which has me shivering at night but the little guy is worth it

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: zilla bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by ninkyninja View Post
    Anyone ever have a problem with zilla bulbs? I bought a 50 watt night red heat bulb yesterday and after only a few hours the bulb blew. Found out i got the wrong bulb anyway think a need an infrared bulb instead so kinda glad it blew if it could have harmed my frog. Still i think its rediculous to blow after only a short time. I got on the zilla.website and sent them a message but no reply yet.

Ok on a side note i have an albino and need some kind of heat light. Read somewhere an infrared was ok. I have a uth but with the temps so low i am having a hard time keeping the temps up. Right now i am having to keep my room heater by his cage which has me shivering at night but the little guy is worth it
    50 watt infrared used with a Fluker's 5.5" or 8.5" clamp lamp with dimmer switch. You must use a lamp designed for thermal bulbs because the bulb itself becomes very hot. The lamp must have a Ceramic socket which the lamp I just mentioned has.

The standard nigt viewing bulbs don't have much heat output. The Infrared bulbs have both light for viewing and good supplemental heat.

ninkyninja

Ok thanks going to head to the pet store now

Nationality
    [United States]

if all you want is heat go to walmart or a party supply store and get a black or red light bulb . They are half the price of reptile bulbs and will perform just as well for heat . Know I will probably start a heated debate or discussion over this but buying reptile specific bulbs is a waste of money . Zilla buys a bulb from ge or whoever slaps a bunch of claims that no one can prove on it writes reptile on it doubles the price and sells it . Be very wary of buying reptile products from any manufacturer often the same product without for reptiles is half the price .

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Cwcuz2112 View Post
    if all you want is heat go to walmart or a party supply store and get a black or red light bulb . They are half the price of reptile bulbs and will perform just as well for heat . Know I will probably start a heated debate or discussion over this but buying reptile specific bulbs is a waste of money . Zilla buys a bulb from ge or whoever slaps a bunch of claims that no one can prove on it writes reptile on it doubles the price and sells it . Be very wary of buying reptile products from any manufacturer often the same product without for reptiles is half the price .
    There will be no debate. I will just reamstate what I already have above. Bulbs designed for heat must have a lamp with a Ceramic socket or you risk starting a fire. Normal bulbs with colored glass are not the same as infrared or heat bulbs. Yes they produce a minimal amount of heat, but the affective distance inwhich the heat travels is much less than that of "reptile bulbs" which are actually designed to produce the proper heat. This is why the shape is different than regular bulbs. Halogen or spotlight desings actually concentrate the light to produce heat. If you want proof then go ahead and test them out and see what your results are.

Nationality
    [United States]

I have done side by side comparison and they are the same. A 25 watt colored party bulb will heat a ten to twenty gallon aquarium just fine a dimmer switch will be needed to turn it down. . I agree with you about the quality of the clamp lamp ceramic sockets are necessary for anything you are going to leave on all the time .

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Cwcuz2112 View Post
    I have done side by side comparison and they are the same. A 25 watt colored party bulb will heat a ten to twenty gallon aquarium just fine a dimmer switch will be needed to turn it down. . I agree with you about the quality of the clamp lamp ceramic sockets are necessary for anything you are going to leave on all the time .
    I guess it depends alot on location. I've noticed regular colored bulbs lose affectiveness in colder weather where as the reptile specific infrareds and basking bulbs work more effectively. It's the shape of the bulb that makes them differ more in output. Infrared and basking bulbs have more concentrated area of affect where regular designs spread it out in many directions instead of just down into the enclosure. There is no doubt that they both can work.

drewnation

Same thing with me, didnt even last a few hours just went out. It was part of a kit so it may have gotten some wear during shipping, i looked on the shelf at petsmart and petco they dont carry the zillas in singles like that.

Nationality
    [United States]

If you just need a more heat, try a ceramic heat bulb with a creamic socket lamp with clamp in a dimmer. My frogs hate the red light so for us the ceramic is perfect. Put my temps back into the golden range bv without the ceramic, all my trans were in the high 60s. Good luck! I actually bought a zoo med hygrotherm for $50 and it gives me leave of mine bc I work 14 hr shifts!

1.2.2 Agalychnis calidryas - Felix Felicis, Wall-E,Eva, Mike & Sull
    0.0.2 Canis lupus familiaris (Italian greyhounds) - Zaffira & Aurora
    1.0.0 My own personal prince charming (husband edition): Beau

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by tinkgirl77 View Post
    If you just need a more heat, try a ceramic heat bulb with a creamic socket lamp with clamp in a dimmer. My frogs hate the red light so for us the ceramic is perfect. Put my temps back into the golden range bv without the ceramic, all my trans were in the high 60s. Good luck! I actually bought a zoo med hygrotherm for $50 and it gives me leave of mine bc I work 14 hr shifts!
    you're right! i love those too, but right now I will probably be switching to heat cables. I've tried one for one of the cages and love it! if to attach to side between tanks one cable will heat 2 tanks, testing now. way better then UTH, but still not convinced if it better then infrared, testing i just so sick of replacing infrared, they last me max 2 month
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information