Thread: First White's Tree Frog. Just making sure she's no gonna randomly "croak".

Calyxise

Default First White's Tree Frog. Just making sure she's no gonna randomly "croak".

I finally got my first White's!
    She is currently in what I would say is a 5 gallon tall tank that I got a year ago that was 60% off.
    I already figured out that I'll need to change her tank as soon as I can as she needs a 20-25 gallon.
    The one she is in right now is all plastic so I ended up just putting a 10-20 zoomed heating pad on the top of the setup.
    I also threw in a little thermometer/hydrometer that's supposed to be for hermit crabs. I'm a little bit unsure about it because it seems a little cheap.
    Anyways my questions are,
    The thermometer reads about 72 degrees and the hydrometer reads about 76% humidity.
    At first I didn't have he heating pad on and I felt her water and it's a good 50 degrees and I don't know if that's okay..
    Two medium crickets a day? Is Rehapsy Superfoods Calcium Plus okay to dust them with or what is best?
    Also, the setup has a ton of holes on the right and left side which I think in gonna be a pain to keep humidity in.
    I'll post my pictures and please help me with my questions and more!
    Thanks!
    Name:  Frog1.jpg
Views: 399
Size:  58.4 KBName:  Frog2.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  79.8 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: First White's Tree Frog. Just making sure she's no gonna randomly "croak".

wow, that's a lot of ventilation holes. try placing the heater on the side, it will be more effective. also, i would recommend covering three side of the enclosure, it will help her feel more comfortable and may keep some humidity in. those analog hygrometers are iffy at best. you may want to look into a digital one.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

HerpDerp

Default Re: First White's Tree Frog. Just making sure she's no gonna randomly "croak".

Bill is right, that is way too much ventilation. I suspect your gauges aren't accurate. As far as the tank size goes, you really need a bigger one sooner rather than later. I recommend an exo-terra 18x18x24. WTFs get pretty big so he's going to want as much space as possible.

As far as feeding, it all depends on the size of the frog. My two are just under 3 inches and I feed them 2 or three medium(ish) crickets every other day. I tend to feed one of them a little more than the other since he's more active. The general rule is that if you notice your frog looking thin, feed more, if it looks like it's getting chunky, feed less. I dust with calcium about 3 times a week and a multivitamin once a week. If your frog is young you'll want to dust with calcium at every feeding for a while. If you have any other more specific questions try the tree frog forum

Calyxise

Alright! Once I get my social security I'll pick up one of those nice tanks.
    I was holding her for about 3 minutes today to show my little sister and she like peed on me.
    I was laughing so hard. What calcium should I use though?

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hi,
    Okay, so you know to go bigger with the enclosure, check craigslist, and classifieds.. Some good deals are to be found! The humidity gauges are important, I don't know that it can be possible to have a humidity as high as yours with all of those holes...
    the repashy calcium plus has everything you need for now, I would not worry about getting more or different calcuim and vits. I would also recommend you dust with the repashy daily until the frog is a bit bigger. The repashy has a shelf life (once opened) of about 3 months, and keep in the fridge. After 3 months, you can get something like rep-cal and herptivite. Calcium every other feeding and vits once per week.
    Make sure the crickets are appropriately sized (shouldn't be any longer than the length between the eyes.
    Avoid handling her for now, she is probably stressed from the move and settling into her new environment. The 'pee' is a defense response to feeling scared, and is a sign she is quite stressed. Stress can lower the immune system and open up the window for other dis-eases.
    Maybe cover the sides of the current tank with a towel? This will aid in her feeling secure, and may help with keeping the humidity up. Does the top have ventilation? I can't tell if the heat pad is covering up the ventilation, if so, then only cover one side with holes.
    Her water looks a little dirty? Clean the water dish DAILY, and replace with treated tap water, using a product like aquatize....

Ask lots and lots of questions, there are many very experienced white's tree frog keepers here
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Calyxise

I'm on my way to pick up an exoterra. How do I heat it? Just the pad still? And should I get some of that stuff that looks like a background to make her more comfy?

Calyxise

I didn't realize how big that tank was going to be! So a light setup would work. And I forgot about the background.

HerpDerp

It definitely looks huge before it's set up! Lrrr uses every inch of mine! I use a ceramic heat bulb to heat my tank. A 100w bulb keeps the tank around 80 degrees. I dim it a little at night (I have a dimmer) so it's around 75 degrees. Since this doesn't give off light I also have a fish tank hood fixture that I have a bright CFL and a 6500k plant bulb. My plants definitely appreciate the light. I highly recommend putting some live plants in there. My frogs LOVE to climb on the snake plant and the pothos I have in there provides great shelter thanks to the fact that it grows like a weed! Just make sure any live plants you put in there have their roots washed with water and the plant washed with water. You can either plant it directly in the coco fiber or you can use pots, just make sure you only use organic potting soil or coco fiber so it's safe for the frogs.

Thread Information