Thread: water question

MattL

Default water question

If you have a small water dish for a baby pixie is it acceptable just to take the poo out or do you have to replace all the water in the dish? and for aquatic setups for pixies(all water no dry land), do you just take the poo out or do you change the water as well?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

bullfrog1986

Default Re: water question

if its a water dish just replace the whole water with fresh.. full water setup get a filter and take large poo out.

cyris69

They will make a mess in the water bowl daily and best to do full daily changes. For my large water area I use an aquarium canister filter. For about 6-7 gals water area I use a canister filter made for a 40-60gallon tank as these frogs are messy. Just have to scoop floating poop daily.

MattL

ok and if you have a filter for a partial or total aquatic setup, what filter should someone use? because doesn't the water splashing from an over the side filter cause the frog too much stress? and if your answer to that is canister filters, then are there any other type of filter that would be good for a pixie aquatic/semi-aquatic setup besides canister filters?

cyris69

You won't be able to use a HOB (hang on the back) filter since most water areas aren't going to be within a few inches from the top of a tank. You could use a sponge filter but in general those need quite a bit of depth to use and wouldn't off much for such dirty frogs. I only use large sponge filters in my fire red cherry shrimp tank.

As for canisters, I only use generic ones, most of which are manufactured in the same place the big branded ones are. I used to be a fluval only guy until I needed some filtration on a budget and these work just as good if not better plus a fraction of the price.

Check on ebay for sunsun or jaebo canister filters, these are amazing off brand filters. I own both brands and they are running strong with no issues.

This is the exact one being used in my frog tank. Amazon.com: SunSun HW-302 3-Stage External Canister Filter, 264 gph: Pet Supplies
    I got mine on ebay though for about $36 best buy ive ever made.

I leave my out take tube half in half out so there is some surface agitation (with waterfall sound) this keeps any films from forming on the surface and I think moves the water a bit better in partial water areas.

Now my frogs stay in the water 95% of the time, only to come out for food or sometimes to burrow slightly in the heat bulb. My water stays a steady 78F with the new heater.

Thread Information