Thread: Paco

amort90

Default Paco

Hi All, I am new to the forum but i have been on before looking at posts and advice by members over the last month or so.

one thing im not massively certain about is the size of the tank that Paco is going to need as when i got him he was tiny so a 30x30 was perfectly fine for him, but i am steering towards a 45x45 terrarium at the moment but want to get the perfect one on him so i dont have to keep changing it ... gets quite an expensive game when doing that i must say!!! any advice you could give would be hugely appreciated

here are a couple of recent pics of Paco

Name:  Paco 2.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  69.0 KBName:  Paco 1.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  78.2 KBName:  Paco 3.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  99.4 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

AMKReptiles

Default Re: Paco

Welcome to the Forum...you will find this forum to be a great one with alot of friendly ppl that will help and answer any question you have...

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

What are you doing for supplementation?

-----------------
    Thanks
    DW
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

How often to you provide calcium with Vitamin D3? It appears as though Paco has the start of MBD(Metabolic Bone Disease). Note the drooping lower jaw and slight overbite. Other than that he looks ok, but you need to correct the calcium deficiency ASAP.
    As for enclosure size you can still use an eclosure of similar size, but taller if he is indeed a he. I keep males in 12"x12"x18" enclosures and tbey are perfectly happy.

6. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

amort90

hi, thanks for the responses, he has calcium +D3 every couple of days, it is the same stuff that i have used for my bearded dragon for the last year, as i was advised by the shop where i got him from that it was fine, i think its the exo terra one off the top of my head but not entirely sure as im at work at the moment. well i am under the assumption that he is male as he croaks quite a lot at night time

what do you recommend as the best solution to getting him back to health quickly?

amort90

i have found a picture that i took when i first got paco, is that mild MBD that he has got there?

Name:  384798_10151046825946887_2008368663_n[1].jpg
Views: 125
Size:  98.5 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by amort90 View Post
    i have found a picture that i took when i first got paco, is that mild MBD that he has got there?

Name:  384798_10151046825946887_2008368663_n[1].jpg
Views: 125
Size:  98.5 KB
    Give the calcium D3 every other feeding for a while. Do you also use a multivitamin?

Nationality
    [United States]

The sagging jaw is usually indicative of MBD. Griff, could it be something else?

-----------------
    Thanks
    DW
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    The sagging jaw is usually indicative of MBD. Griff, could it be something else?

-----------------
    Thanks
    DW
    Possibly. Hypocalcemia, but usualy their tongue will protrude from the mouth and they appear weak and lethargic. There is also the posability that Paco was born this way. If he is able to call then his mouth does close somewhat tightly and can seal.

amort90

no i was never advised to use a multi vitamin they just told me to use the calcium d3. i wish i had found this site before i got him
    im going out today before i go to bed to get him some multi vitamin and also some different calcium powder to see if that helps him at all
    yeah he calls almost every night, at first me and my partner thought it was littlen playing with his toys in his cot but then when i heard it every night i compared it to the calling sound on a vid on youtube and it was exactly the same

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by amort90 View Post
    no i was never advised to use a multi vitamin they just told me to use the calcium d3. i wish i had found this site before i got him
    im going out today before i go to bed to get him some multi vitamin and also some different calcium powder to see if that helps him at all
    yeah he calls almost every night, at first me and my partner thought it was littlen playing with his toys in his cot but then when i heard it every night i compared it to the calling sound on a vid on youtube and it was exactly the same
    Very good! Look for Herptivite its a good multivitamin. You can also look for Rapashy. Fluker's Calcium Powder with itamin D3 is a good calcium supplement.

14. This member thanks GrifTheGreat for this post:

amort90

well i have got rep-cal calcium +D3 and also rep-cal herptivite multivit ... it says that these both work very well in combination so all being well this should help get back on top of it

thank you so much for your help guys it really is appreciated, without you i would of been none the wiser and could potentially end up in a much worse situation.

Grif ... i dont suppose you possible have any idea as to what breed paco actually is? when i bought him he was advertised as "green horned frog" so that really didnt help at all an i had a look at trying to work it ou myself but with being new to frogs i didnt really get anywhere

Nationality
    [United States]

Paco is a C. Cranwelli, don't use the multivitamin and calcium at the same time. Use the calcium every other feeding and multivitamin once a week on a day you arnt giving calcium, they won't be absorbed as well if mixed together

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

17. This member thanks MatthewM1 for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Matthew is correct.

amort90

wicked thanks for the help i just wish i had found this forum a lot sooner, probably would of saved me a few problems, but we all live and learn i suppose just hope it all works now

Thread Information