Thread: Shhh, don't tell my husband....

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Shhh, don't tell my husband....

....but I brought home a new white's froglet, so cute!
    I love her little freckles, we're naming her 'Freckles!"

Name:  PIC_0433.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  175.8 KBName:  PIC_0434.JPG
Views: 133
Size:  156.1 KBName:  PIC_0435.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  155.4 KBName:  PIC_0436.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  142.0 KB
    I can't believe how ittie bitty she is! (I'm saying she, because I'm hopeful )
    PetCo had about 10 of them in one of their ridiculously small enclosures, humidity at 30%! Of course I had to say something about the set-up to the employee, who seemed a little annoyed with me...
    I could only take one , hopefully the rest will find good homes.
    She's already eating like a champ, and pooped! So I think she's pretty healthy. When she's big enough, I'll move her into the enclosure with my grown up male white's.
    She's currently in a 12x12x18 tank, paper towel substrate, climbing structure and fake plant. I'll be replacing the fake plant with a live pothos when I have grown out the pesticides, probably a couple weeks.
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Shhh, don't tell my husband....

Quote Originally Posted by Bolisnide View Post
    Of course I had to say something about the set-up to the employee, who seemed a little annoyed with me...
    lol story of my life congrats on a new addition, she is lucky to have you saved her.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

4. This member thanks Lija for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Shhh, don't tell my husband....

Awe, she's a cutie! Congrats!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

6. This member thanks Heatheranne for this post:

So cute!! Conditions at petco are why i have 6 of those beauties. I ran out of room, so i stopped going into petco....lol and just an fyi, no need to grow out the pothos for fertilizers. I sort of understand why folks do it, but it's really not necessary.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]

I've learned when going to the pet store for supplies....STAY AWAY from the enclousures. That is unless you have the room, time & money for more. I don't, the Inn is full.

But that sure is one cute little lima bean you got there.
    Rest in peace Rosie 5-31-12
    Rest in peace Rufus 2-7-14
    Rest in peace Morph 8-14-15

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    So cute!! Conditions at petco are why i have 6 of those beauties. I ran out of room, so i stopped going into petco....lol and just an fyi, no need to grow out the pothos for fertilizers. I sort of understand why folks do it, but it's really not necessary.
    I know.... i should stop going in also, but that's where I buy my crickets, and I just *have* to check out the animals. Can't help it!
    My husband is just going to die when he discovers the new frog; It's been two days and so far he hasn't noticed the spare tank all lit up under the table of my others!
    So about the plants, I did buy the plant at the grocery store last night, re-potted it in coco fiber... I did the usual rinsing of the roots and foliage. But there seems to be a sheen on the leaves that is not normal, I'm worried about whatever chemicals they may have sprayed the plant with? Any suggestions?
    And I must confess, I have planted plants in my white's enclosure without any sort of 'wait' period, and he has done fine... but that was before I read about lynn's pre-cautions...
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by kueluck View Post
    I've learned when going to the pet store for supplies....STAY AWAY from the enclousures. That is unless you have the room, time & money for more. I don't, the Inn is full.

But that sure is one cute little lima bean you got there.
    I should really learn to do the same! Not only is my 'inn' full now also, but my pocket book is empty!
    Thanks, I am truly smitten with this little one
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

HerpDerp

Such a cute little frog! I avoid petco now because of the conditions in their enclosures. Not only does my local petco feed their parrots primarily sunflower seeds (as a bird owner that infuriates me) but I've gone in and found a dead water dragon in an enclosure. They had no idea! I wont even buy crickets there anymore. My first frog that I got from petco (Glurmo) was there for quite a while and seems developmentally stunted. He has pretty much stopped growing and is usually on the lethargic side. Lrrr was very young when I got him and is doing great. Goes to show that the longer they are in those conditions the more it affects the frog long term.

As for the pothos, it might have been treated with something to enhance color or even to enhance growth. House plants can be treated with some weird chemicals to make them sell better. You might want to try to actually wash the leaves really well. But since you're not sure what's on there I think it's a good idea to do the wait period. Better safe than sorry!

The pothos is probably covered in "plant shine" no growing out will take it off. A nice bath in some warm water and gently drying the leaves with a soft cloth should do it. As far as fertilizers go, unless it's a systemic fertilizer (the kind they use on crops), the plant will consume the fertilizers, not exude them. Furthermore, when you grow out the fertilizers, then plant them in a new tank, the plant starves for food until waste in the enclosure is broken down. This is the reason for yellowing leaves, plant death and stunted growth. I don't even rinse my roots off unless it is a plant i am laying across the substrate, where the roots would be exposed. Obviously, that is just what i do, i do not recommend everybody do it that way,but at least you have enough info to make your own decision.

Btw, if i remember correctly, a majority of states have banned the use of systemic fertilizers.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Congrats on the new addition

I'm with Bill on the pothos. I don't generally bother with a waiting period with a healthy plant. If you're concerned, waiting isn't at all wrong though.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by deranged chipmunk View Post
    The pothos is probably covered in "plant shine" no growing out will take it off. A nice bath in some warm water and gently drying the leaves with a soft cloth should do it. As far as fertilizers go, unless it's a systemic fertilizer (the kind they use on crops), the plant will consume the fertilizers, not exude them. Furthermore, when you grow out the fertilizers, then plant them in a new tank, the plant starves for food until waste in the enclosure is broken down. This is the reason for yellowing leaves, plant death and stunted growth. I don't even rinse my roots off unless it is a plant i am laying across the substrate, where the roots would be exposed. Obviously, that is just what i do, i do not recommend everybody do it that way,but at least you have enough info to make your own decision.

Btw, if i remember correctly, a majority of states have banned the use of systemic fertilizers.
    Okay, i should really be working and NOT on the frog forum... but I just wanted to say thanks so much for the info! This is all very interesting, and totally makes sense. I will try the warm bath and wiping of the leaves and see if that gets the shine off.
    So as far as feeding the plant, now that I've washed away all its food, can I just put the frog's waste into the soil in the pot, maybe once per month? once per week?
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Congrats on the new addition

I'm with Bill on the pothos. I don't generally bother with a waiting period with a healthy plant. If you're concerned, waiting isn't at all wrong though.
    Thanks Brian! Nice to get confirmation on the plant!
    1.1.0 White's Treefrog
    1.0.0 Red Eyed Leaf Frog

Thread Information