Thread: New Pac!

Chi

Smile New Pac!

Hey everyone,

Buddha is doing great but I have been bitten by the Pacman Frog bug! I recently went to the store and purchased another Pacman. My only concern about the new frog is that it seems slightly bloated. It pooped this morning but it hasn't eaten, whereas Buddha ate immediately after being placed in his cage. Is it normal for new frogs to not eat? This frog is also quite a bit smaller than Buddha, at around a quarter size. Do babies have a lesser appetite? 85% humidity, 78 degrees at night and 82 in the day time.

Name:  525469_4750674157676_722608337_n.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  80.4 KBName:  BCcbQ_VCUAAFG8r.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  28.5 KB
    On the left is my new frog, and on the right is Buddha.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: New Pac!

Congrats on your new addition! Pacs are VERY addicting!

It looks like your new friend is in the middle of shedding. If you look closely at his/her back you can see where the top layer of skin is splitting for easy removal. If you want, when s/he is done shedding, set the frog in a lukewarm bath of chin deep de-chlorinated water with 2-3 drops of honey.

It is normal for a frog to take a couple days (sometimes up to a week) to adjust to a new home. Offer food each night, but don't be surprised if s/he doesn't eat for a day or two. Give him some peace and quiet and he'll come around.

Also, please note that albinos must use infrared heat bulbs. No daylight bulbs or basking spotlights of ANY kind. Be sure that the bulb is no higher than 50 watts. 50 watts is also preferable.

Keep us posted on both your babies!

Chi

I put the baby into a dish of water and it shed all of the cracked skin off. Then it jumped out and got stuck on it's back. It was wagging its legs like "help help" so I flipped it over. Now he/she is in a shallow little frog hole, watching me type.

It is still slightly bloated though. Does it look unusually chubby for being so small?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Chi View Post
    I put the baby into a dish of water and it shed all of the cracked skin off. Then it jumped out and got stuck on it's back. It was wagging its legs like "help help" so I flipped it over. Now he/she is in a shallow little frog hole, watching me type.

It is still slightly bloated though. Does it look unusually chubby for being so small?
    That is actually not good. Keep a close eye on the frog. It may be the start of Toxing Out Syndrome if the frog was kept in less than appropriate housing. Does it feel like it's full of water or air?

Chi

Yes, it is slightly see through on the sides and full of water

Chi

I really hope it doesn't die, he/she is so cute

Nationality
    [United States]

I really hope it doesn't die, he/she is so cute
    Soak the frog in some 78° to 80° water with plain sea salt disolved into the water. Quarter of a teaspoon of salt per cup of water. Make sure it is shallow. Only about up to the frog's chest. Be sure the water is dechlorinated and only soak the frog for about 15 minutes. If the frog pees and is no longer bloated then immediately remove it from the salt water bath and place it in a plain dechlorinated water bath of the same temp to rinse the salt water off and place it back home.

Chi

Half of him seems smaller (the right side) but he is still really bloated and his skin is so thin, we can see through him when is put up to light. My mom thinks he is going to die but I don't want him to at all.

Nationality
    [United States]

Half of him seems smaller (the right side) but he is still really bloated and his skin is so thin, we can see through him when is put up to light. My mom thinks he is going to die but I don't want him to at all.
    Do the Sea Salt bath. Leave him in longer if necessary. Up to 30 minutes, but make sure he stays warm. You may have to do it daily until the bloat is gone. It is most likely edema. You may want to consult a Herp Vet for assistance.

Chi

Name:  IMAG0363.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  45.7 KBName:  IMAG0364.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  51.5 KB

Chi

My mom is making me take him/her back to the store...I really hope he survives.

Thread Information