Thread: Aestivation Question

frogsanity12

Default Aestivation Question

Day# 4: Aestivation
    Some are still awake...may be I should raise the temp slightly to allow them to dry out faster. What are your thoughts?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Aestivation Question

Quote Originally Posted by frogsanity12 View Post
    Day# 4: Aestivation
    Some are still awake...may be I should raise the temp slightly to allow them to dry out faster. What are your thoughts?
    Usually when doing so you prepare fresh bedding, but prepare it in a dryer state so that the frog notices a dryer climate. You do not mist during this period and they should be given 6" to 8" to burrow in. What temp are you keeping them at and how much substrate?

frogsanity12

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to take them out of Aestivation and Give them a big meal. They are all Virgins in an other post it was said that they don't need to be cycled. Question: Do you allow them to poop before you put them in the rain chamber? I know the warm water will encourage them to poop. I don't really want to get the (rain chamber) water dirty. Do you feed them and then throw them together? Any advice will be helpful.

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to take them out of Aestivation and Give them a big meal. They are all Virgins in an other post it was said that they don't need to be cycled. Question: Do you allow them to poop before you put them in the rain chamber? I know the warm water will encourage them to poop. I don't really want to get the (rain chamber) water dirty. Do you feed them and then throw them together? Any advice will be helpful.
    Mike knows a bit more than I on the cycling process since he does it all the time. They don't have to be cycled their first spawning. The first spawning will also not yield well. They are to be fed heavily upon awakening. I believe it takes a day or two for them to fully come out of it. Males go in first to get them calling and the female should be near by so that the males calling will stimulate her. You may want to allow them to poop before attempting to breed them, but if fed heavily and then placed in the chamber you may have no worries about them fouling the water since it usually takes them 3 to 5 days to have a movement.

Nationality
    [United States]

Maybe give them a warm bath right before the rain chamber to encourage them to urinate/maybe have a bowel movement before they go in?

I've heard of people recording their male calling and replaying it to give them the illusion of more male competition.

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

frogsanity12

I gave all of them a warm bath just before I put them in the rain chamber...My chocolate female pooped in the chamber. Thank god for the false bottom. I quickly took it out. Wish me luck

Nationality
    [United States]

I gave all of them a warm bath just before I put them in the rain chamber...My chocolate female pooped in the chamber. Thank god for the false bottom. I quickly took it out. Wish me luck
    Good luck!!

Thread Information