Thread: White'sTreeFrog+Fish?

Default White'sTreeFrog+Fish?

Are there any filter feeders that can safely be housed with a white's? My aquarium has recently gone from "Half-and-Half" to "All water with the tree branches for it to hang out on." (Though he seems to prefer sleeping on the side of the glass instead)

Anyway. If there is a filter feeder can be housed with it I can making keeping the cage clean easier as well as more interesting to look at. Any ideas?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Kurt

Default Re: White'sTreeFrog+Fish?

The only freshwater "filter feeder" I know of is the bamboo shrimp. I see them for sale at Petco. What are you expecting them to "filter" out?

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    The only freshwater "filter feeder" I know of is the bamboo shrimp. I see them for sale at Petco. What are you expecting them to "filter" out?
    Unsafe bacteria and the like? My current filter is currently recovering from having been clogged with dirt. The bottom of my tank has large rocks for the frog to climb on but I'm not sure the water filter can keep it clean if something is growing between the rocks. Not that I'm particularly knowledgeable in the ways of marine life. (I also notice sometimes there is stuff growing in the roots of my bamboo plants. I'm not sure if that's safe or not or how to clean it.)

Kurt

Well, fish do not eat feces, so you will need a filter. Filter feeding invertebrates (most of which are marine) feed on small particles of food and not the waste product of other animals. Catfish and loaches will root around in the substrate in search of food and in the process (hopefully) prevent waste from settling there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
    Well, fish do not eat feces, so you will need a filter. Filter feeding invertebrates (most of which are marine) feed on small particles of food and not the waste product of other animals. Catfish and loaches will root around in the substrate in search of food and in the process (hopefully) prevent waste from settling there.
    Ah. Thanks. I kinda figured they didn't but I wasn't fully sure WHAT they eat.

Kurt

Food mostly. You can feed fish a variety of things, fish flakes, brine shrimp, live black worm, blood worm, algae waffers and so on.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Yes, unfortunately it is a common myth that catfish and the like actually clean the water.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

Kurt

They just eat the food that the other fish miss. And if the rest of manage not to miss any food, then the catfish will starve to death.

Thread Information