Thread: Got the terrarium!

Pharaoh

Default Got the terrarium!

Hi guys,

Ok so I have read the Pacman keepers book written by the guy who claims to be the first breeder of the fantasy Pacman? Anyway he said a 20 gal tank is fine so I went ahead and bought the Exo Terra 45x45x30 which I think will be easier to maintain humidity and temps? I realise its a little big for a small frog but I plan to close the space with some fake plants (jungle canopy type). I have been following the posts on here too and saw that Griff once said that too many plants can lead to difficulty catching prey unless the frog is tong fed. Do you guys have any advice on training the frog to accept food from the tongs?

Pharaoh!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Got the terrarium!

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
    Hi guys,

Ok so I have read the Pacman keepers book written by the guy who claims to be the first breeder of the fantasy Pacman? Anyway he said a 20 gal tank is fine so I went ahead and bought the Exo Terra 45x45x30 which I think will be easier to maintain humidity and temps? I realise its a little big for a small frog but I plan to close the space with some fake plants (jungle canopy type). I have been following the posts on here too and saw that Griff once said that too many plants can lead to difficulty catching prey unless the frog is tong fed. Do you guys have any advice on training the frog to accept food from the tongs?

Pharaoh!
    For a while when offering food to your frog just drop the food items from the tongs so that the frog can see you dropping the food from the tongs. Eventually after seeing that foos comes from the tongs they will make the connection and will take from them eventually.

You can also gently rub the food item on the frog's mouth and some will become annoyed enough to bite the food thus taking it from the tongs.

Now not all frogs will learn in these ways, but many will. Also not all frogs will actually accept food from tongs ever. This just depends on the frog's temperment and personality.

Philippe De Vosjoli and Robert Mailloux do say a 20 gallon is ok, BUT in reality you need a smaller enclosure. You can seal off half or more of the tank until your frog is large enough. A 20 gallon tank is quite large and will also be slightly more difficult to heat and maintain the climate in so it may be best to block off half or more of the tank so that your lityke frog does not become stressed by all that space. They also won't use most of the enclosure so it will be overkill and pretty much useless.

Pharaoh

Thanks Griff! Yeah that was the guys who wrote the book couldnt recall the names and Im not home at the moment lol! Obviously I dont want to stress the frog so Ill likely split the tank in half and seal it, making room for two pacmans

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks Griff! Yeah that was the guys who wrote the book couldnt recall the names and Im not home at the moment lol! Obviously I dont want to stress the frog so Ill likely split the tank in half and seal it, making room for two pacmans
    Be sure not yo place the frog in until all sealant is cured and fumes dispersed.

Pharaoh

Yeah I will do. Im taking it slowly with the set up to make sure everything is running right and humidity and temperature are spot on. This site has shown me how many folks have trouble with their frogs, some through bad advice from stores and some from lack of research. I just want to make sure my froggy ends up in the right environment and conditions

Nationality
    [Canada]

Yeah I will do. Im taking it slowly with the set up to make sure everything is running right and humidity and temperature are spot on. This site has shown me how many folks have trouble with their frogs, some through bad advice from stores and some from lack of research. I just want to make sure my froggy ends up in the right environment and conditions
    love that approach! that is the way to have a happy and healthy pacman or any animal for that matter
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Pharaoh

Thanks Lija, I live by the old saying "Fail to prepare, then prepare to fail" lol

Thread Information