Thread: pacman terrarium set up

herpseeker

Default pacman terrarium set up

i'm making a list before i get a pacman frog,

1. i got a ten gallon tank with screen
    2.i have a source to buy coco fiber substrate, i buy it all the time for my tiger salamander
    3. i plan on buying a wide bowl for water
    4. is reptifresh a good water conditioner?
    5. i'm worried now about keeping the heat up in the tank i read somewhere it has to be about 80 degrees, would a under the tank heater work or do i have to buy an infared light but how do i avoid the frog drying out from the light.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: pacman terrarium set up

you need following:
    -tank - you have it!
    - something to cover 3 sides of a tank, aquarium type background would work perfectly
    - fine coco fiber ( exo earth, plantation soil), or similar
    -shallow water dish, so a frog can hop in and water level would be no higher then frogs chin
    -Ca/vit3 powder and multivitamin powder - you probably have both since you have sal.
    - heating UTH attached to the side or infrared lamp, anything, I prefer lamps as they would turn on and off faster if plugged into controller.
    - fogger, misting bottle, you probably have something
    - i highly recommend getting Hydrotherm and plug it into your heating lamp and fogger - it will make your life much easier and you never will need to worry about humidity and temps.
    - some kind regular low voltage lamp to provide day/night cycle.
    - any water conditioner for fish or reptiles/amphs, currently I'm using Prime. I've seen only reptifresh by zoomed, it is not intended for water, but there might be something else
    - plastic plant or some kind of decor to make tank not so empty.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

herpseeker

is there a recommended kind of vitamin powders? i use repticalcium and something called herptivite i can't remember the brand names. Are pacman frogs as picky about dust as my tiger salamander? do you mean seachem prime water conditioner? i

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by herpseeker View Post
    i'm making a list before i get a pacman frog,

1. i got a ten gallon tank with screen
    2.i have a source to buy coco fiber substrate, i buy it all the time for my tiger salamander
    3. i plan on buying a wide bowl for water
    4. is reptifresh a good water conditioner?
    5. i'm worried now about keeping the heat up in the tank i read somewhere it has to be about 80 degrees, would a under the tank heater work or do i have to buy an infared light but how do i avoid the frog drying out from the light.
    Follow Lija's advice EXCEPT if you're getting a baby get a medium critter keeper and a UTH(Under Tank Heater) made for Hermit Crab enclosures. Place the UTH on the back of the keeper and cover the rest with static cling natural terrarium background.

These frogs get stressed out when placed in enclosures that are too large and it makes it more difficult for the frog to catch it's food if the frog is not yong trained. When the frog becomes a Juvinile you can move it up to the 10 gallon.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by herpseeker View Post
    is there a recommended kind of vitamin powders? i use repticalcium and something called herptivite i can't remember the brand names. Are pacman frogs as picky about dust as my tiger salamander? do you mean seachem prime water conditioner? i
    Prime is great. Herptivite is also good. You can use Fluker's Capcium Powder with Vitamin D3.

Nationality
    [Canada]

repticalcium and herptivite are both fine. pacman frogs not really picky re dusting, but my sal is not either, as long as it is food it is all good lol

Prime is a brand name, it is used for fish tank water, but you can use anything really, I used exoterra water conditioner with waxy on it, I bet there are tons of water conditioners that would make water safe for fish and amphs.

that is prime - one small bottle will last forever ( almost lol) Seachem. Prime
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Thread Information