Thread: Coloring of frog

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

Default Coloring of frog

Just a quick question I've had for a while. One of my green tree frogs is always brown. I know that they change color according to their surroundings, but is it normal for them to be like this their whole lives? Also, when I bought him from the pet store about two years ago, he was green. When I brought him home, he turned brown, and he's been like that ever since. So is it normal for him to always be brown his entire life? The other frog is also very brown, but when I take him out of the cage to clean it, he turns more green, so I'm sure this just has to do with camouflage.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

HerpDerp

Default Re: Coloring of frog

I'm not sure how this works for green tree frogs but I know with WTFs temps and humidity can influence coloring. lower temps and high humidity tend to make for darker frogs. And time of day seems to make my WTFs (or one of them anyways) change color. He turns bright green at night when he's out and about in the tank but is darker when he's hunting and when he's sleeping. But, like I said, I dont' know if it's the same for green tree frogs

Quote Originally Posted by Sanimal View Post
    One of my green tree frogs is always brown.
    Is this an American Green Tree Frog, Hyla cinerea? White's treefrogs, Litoria caerulea, also go by "green tree frog", and there are probably others as well.

Not that it probably matters here, but it never hurts to be clear on these things.

My for what it's worth, my Hyla cinerea was a bright green when I got her, then started spending most of her time brown. She sometimes turns back to green at night, but not as bright as when she was younger, and not every night. As long as she's still doing normal frog things, like eating, pooping, fleeing when appropriate, and her skin is in good shape, I don't worry about it.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

It's a Hyla Cinerea. Thanks for your replies.

Thread Information