Thread: Big lui

Wicked frogs

Default Big lui

Hey guys so im in a pickle with my frog here. So recently i have noticed what i have always thought my frog to be a male i am starting to think it's turning out to be a female or a fat male because of how wide he is growing still has all the beautiful colors it has always had if not more. The thing i keep telling myself is that i DEF herd him croak like a month and a half two months ago twice for sure but have not herd it again. He is just at 5 inches now at just about 6 months old now well tell me what ya think about the sex. So i found out this hole in the wall exotic pet store about a half how from my place that carry's sooooo many awesome pets from beautiful day geckos to ABF sweet pacs dart's and so on to roaches,fruit flies,horned worms the place was so temping but i walked out with crickets and fruit flies but yea it's nice to have a place like that so close well talk to you all later.

Name:  007.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  50.4 KBName:  028.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  52.7 KBName:  004.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  72.1 KBName:  002.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  68.5 KBName:  030.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  26.5 KBName:  035.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  46.4 KBName:  047.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  33.6 KB

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Herpguy

Default Re: Big lui

Yeah I'd say that you have a 100% female right there. Females can make noises, just not "croaking" per say. Hearing sounds is not indicative of a male, but bulging throat sacs are.

Wicked frogs

Yea i knew it honestly i now know that you cant start sexing these things till at least 3-4 months in cause this one right here looked male then one day it just blew out side ways and with the croaking i am not sure what noises you mean but i am for sure this female and females in gen can croak not a deep bellowing croak on the care sheet but just a lil one ya know well thanks for you're imput i might keep her might not it's undecided.

i thinks its a female as well..but its ok...just try again....it took me 3 tries b4 getting my male...but its a very very nice looking female with massive nice colors!!!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

So now you've got big Luiese

Wicked frogs

i pronounce her Lois from my fav local cartoon, Family guy.

Name:  family guy.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  51.3 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked frogs View Post
    i pronounce her Lois from my fav local cartoon, Family guy.

Name:  family guy.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  51.3 KB
    I like that show! Good name!

SCF

These pictures are very deceiving, I see a lot of masculine traits. I'm surprised it's being confirmed (or even guessed at) female.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by SCF View Post
    These pictures are very deceiving, I see a lot of masculine traits. I'm surprised it's being confirmed (or even guessed at) female.
    They are very difficult to sex.

FLUXCORE

5" at 6 months I'd say 100% female, also the head dosent look wide or big enough . just goes to show colours aren't that important.

FLUXCORE

Isn't 5" about max a female can grow? Could it reach it's full size in only 6 months? Maybe someone with a female can chime in
    Last edited by FLUXCORE; January 29th, 2013 at 10:03 PM.

Wicked frogs

Honestly i see the traces of male too like i said i herd mating calls i agree the head is not big enough but i guess only time can tell. When i bought him the guy at the store dropped him on his head then after that he would not eat for like a month straight had problem with tongue prolapse's even with the multi a c i was giving him and recently an anal prolapse i always manage to get him back to par with techniques on here like the honey and warm water remedy. I still call him a him bcause i still kinda think so but i have also seen small African Bullfrog out there too and wide ones... LIKE in my older posts not sure if it was a bad seed but you know what he my buddy and i will keep him strong FOR SURE. And to the people that try saying 100% THIS AND A HUNDO THAT all they know is that it is supposed to have a big head this and that thats all they know lol i read posts on here people saying a hundo % when its a month old you have an opinion but it's DEF not a hundred. Flux females can reach to about 6 inches and like griff posted one time there was a malnourished pac that was older they fed it horn worms and the thing had a growth spert ya neva know it's a frog but like i said only time will tell

Tim

Wicked Frogs

SCF

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    They are very difficult to sex.
    That's an over statement. Typically, they are not very difficult to sex.

Herpguy

I do not really see any masculine traits here, besides the size. 5" at 6 months is not small at all for a male though, and is pretty average. This is going to definitely be one of those monster females though.

Nationality
    [United States]

That's an over statement. Typically, they are not very difficult to sex.
    Well apparently they are otherwise threads like this wouldn't exist. Head size is no longer a full blown indicater anymore either as each individual will grow at differe rates and appearence. Colors are no longer an indicator because there are many females that display the yellowing of the armpits and chest which was previously thought to be an indicator of a male.

SCF

I should of phrased that differently (I do not want to debate with Colleen, maybe Jarrod, but not Colleen ). Yes, it's difficult to sex tadpoles (exaggerating here about tadpoles) to juveniles. In this case though, generally at 6+ months of age it is not difficult. I see a lot of threads with people asking to sex juveniles, which I agree is common. I do not see many threads asking about sex at 6+ months. Have you had trouble sexing your 6+ month old Pyxicephalus?

Herpguy: If Tim would of posted only pics 1 and 2, I believe the general consensus would be, it looks male. I could be wrong and don't mind admitting it. =)

Wicked frogs

It's a hermaphrodite LOL whateva it is it's my lil buddy It makes sense if it's a F/ cause my male pac-man tried molesting it by trying to rape it not to long ago. lolololol

Nationality
    [United States]

I should of phrased that differently (I do not want to debate with Colleen, maybe Jarrod, but not Colleen ). Yes, it's difficult to sex tadpoles (exaggerating here about tadpoles) to juveniles. In this case though, generally at 6+ months of age it is not difficult. I see a lot of threads with people asking to sex juveniles, which I agree is common. I do not see many threads asking about sex at 6+ months. Have you had trouble sexing your 6+ month old Pyxicephalus?

Herpguy: If Tim would of posted only pics 1 and 2, I believe the general consensus would be, it looks male. I could be wrong and don't mind admitting it. =)
    No debate necessary no I don't have trouble sexing my Pyxi because I don't own one FYI. Just because I don't own one presently doesn't mean I don't knkw anything about them. Yes I've seen and answered a few threads about Pyxi Frogs of that age being difficult to sex. As I said some indicators are not always as they should be when sexing these frogs. If the frog has become stunted(which in this case is not applicable) the frog may have dwarfed and be more narrow in head width. Appetite and a bluish tint in places can indicate male along with head size, but not all show these traits.

Yes the Tadpole sexing was a bit rediculous.
    This is Jerrod by the way

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked frogs View Post
    It's a hermaphrodite LOL whateva it is it's my lil buddy It makes sense if it's a F/ cause my male pac-man tried molesting it by trying to rape it not to long ago. lolololol
    Lol! Thats funny!

Male frogs will grab onto other males accidentally during breeding, but in this case I believe he knew what he trying to Amplex.

Thread Information