Thread: FBT problem...predict what the vet might say? Neuro, physical, infection?

mpm

Default FBT problem...predict what the vet might say? Neuro, physical, infection?

Hi-

One of our FBTs started swimming/crawling abnormally -- i.e. swimming in circles to the left or hopping to the left. I isolated him for 4 days in a hospital tank (w/ shallow water dish) where he seemed to maintain color, appetite, etc. but has a severe problem moving in a straight line. His limbs seems to be intact and when still all appear to function correctly. He's been returned to the main tank but has not changed his swimming form so I'll have to put him back in the shallow dish tank until he improves. He used to be very active -- leaping to grab crickets so I was assuming broken limb or pulled muscle or even ear infection. See avi Seen this before? The other frog is fine. Thanks in advance for any guidance.

1. Size of enclosure: 29L gallon
    2. # of inhabitants - specifically other frogs and size differences: 2 FBT, similar size.
    3. Humidity: 60-80%.
    4. Temperature: 77 degrees in the water
    5. Water - type - for both misting and soaking dish: Treated water
    6. Materials used for substrate: gravel on the bottom, river rocks
    7. Enclosure set up i.e. plants (live or artificial), wood, bark and other materials: live plant, artificial driftwood, slate waterfall, river rock
    - How were things prepared prior to being put into the viv: rinsed with hot water, air dried
    8. Main food source: Crickets
    9. Vitamins and calcium? (how often): Once a week
    10. Lighting: Daylight flourescent 8 hours
    11. What is being used to maintain the temperature of the enclosure: submersible water heater
    12. When is the last time he/she ate: w/in 24 hours
    13. Have you found poop lately: Yes.
    14. A pic would be helpful including frog and enclosure (any including cell phone pic is fine)
    : link to movie of swimming <video>http://db.tt/kWChH1pP</video>
    15. How old is the frog: unknown
    16. How long have you owned him/her: 1 month
    17. Is the frog wild caught or captive bred: unknown - Pet Smart
    18. Frog food- how often and if it is diverse, what other feeders are used as treats: Crickets, weekly dusting
    19. How often the frog is handled: Never been handled
    20. Is the enclosure kept in a high or low traffic area: low
    21. Describe enclosure maintenance (water changes, cleaning, etc): 30% water change every 2 weeks with 'stale and treated' water. Carbon and biofilter (cycled water).

If the video links don't work.. AVI, MPEG, MP4 here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2xrea247py9au7h/ZEGgK7T1J2

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: FBT problem...predict what the vet might say? Neuro, physical, infection?

Hi there
    I saw your video of the frog swimming it looks like he's crippled in that one leg. i would keep him in a seperate enclosure with a small waterdish and paper towel for substrate and a hide,try feeding him dusted crickets for bone growth.

Hope your frog gets better!

MantisMan

Default Re: FBT problem...predict what the vet might say? Neuro, physical, infection?

oh i see that all the time with tippy
    the reason for that is a spinal injury, most likely from an overly rough male trying to amplex him
    tippy still is a father and eats without issue but he tips over in the water (not as much anymore since i got him from petsmart 2 years ago but when i first got him he tipped almost upside down a lot)
    if the toad is really small however u may have a problem
    tippy was like this when i got him but lilly was fine until all 3 of my males tried to mate with her at once (she was a very tiny firebelly to begin with)
    she had the same symptoms of tippy (i witnessed it all so thats how i know tippys behavior is from this and yours likely is too) but she was probably hurt worse and stopped eating even with force feeding she eventually died
    i would reduce his water depth to abt half an inch, keep the temps in the mid 60s, 14 hour light cycle, and make sure he gets plenty of insects dusted with calcium dust, this should help take care of some of the issues
    tippy used to be so uncoordinated but now he's fine and it's because of proper supplementation and catching the issue soon enough

mpm

Thank you both for responding. After I took the video, I removed the frog and placed him back in the small enclosure. Continued observation indicates either muscular or spinal injury, so your theory on being 'climbed' on aggressively may be the case. He/She continues to self feed and has actually showed some improvement today by turning to the right. Since he first started swimming irregularly, all movement has been to the left. So there is progress. I'll keep him in the small tank for another week or less (if substantial improvement is made) and post a closing note.

MantisMan

yup this is the first step
    i'm having probs with my baby toadlets amplexing each other
    they r too young to be doing this, maybe they r mimicing the parents next to them hehe

Thread Information