Thread: Glass Tank or Plastic Tank

Eridu Serpent

Default Glass Tank or Plastic Tank

Hi
    As a new member I was wondering what type of housing other members prefer for their Pyxicephalus (also other frogs and toads)?
    I use very large RUBs (Plastic lockable lid storage boxes) and have used these for all my reptiles in the past.
    I find them ideal because you can join them to others as your animal grows.
    They keep well insulated and are very inexpensive compared to large glass tanks, which means you can save the money and buy the best equipment
    for your animal.
    I can buy a 3ft by 2ft long tub for around $20, then I spend money on the things which matter such as a really good heat mat,
    heat bulbs, night bulbs, plants, thermometers, filter and pumps etc I found that glass tanks damage more over time with water, they are harder
    to keep clean.
    If need be you can cut a section from one and join it to another, you can even use drain piping to create tunnels for fun.
    Obviously they do not weight as much, so they are more easily cleaned and moved around, perfect for people with space issues or disabilities.
    Most reps/amphibians do not like to be in glass tanks due to stress so they are ideal.
    Not having to buy an expensive glass tank opens up the hobby for people on lower budgets.
    You can copy their environment and keep happy animals without spending a massive amount at the start.

Has anyone else got any preferences...or ideas on other things to keep them in?
    I know someone who used an old attic water tank also, made a lovely large swimming pool for their monitor, so it would be a nice idea for frogs and toads too.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Glass Tank or Plastic Tank

Hi there
    Your Pyxicephalus tub seems good so far, i knoe=w that some companies like Big apple pet supply and ATM make acryllic tanks and terrariums. they look exactly like a glass enclosure but as you said with plastic, they are much lighter! and one more thing. if you keep a heat pad underneath the tank, you want to make sure it's not too hot for the plastic so the tub does not warp.

Good luck with your frog!

Eridu Serpent

I opt for heat cables, normally the tub has wheels and if you take them off you have a nice lip which enables you to tape the cable where you want it to be, if it gets too hot you can add a polystyrene tile between the tank and the cable. If you buy high sided you can cut holes in the lid to sink the light fittings in etc etc.
    I find having one tank for water and another for soil/plants is much easier as well. It means you can lift the water area away for cleaning and it is not as heavy.
    I have just purchased a mini water fall/pump for mine, I cannot wait to set it all up...got some nice river pebbles too.
    If it is possible I will try to post photos but I only have a laptop webcam.

I am hoping that by giving Goober more space, a better water area and hunting area he will not get so bored of a night. He is a noisy tinker, always jumping up and bashing the sides of the tank. He´s become quite spoilt and will not eat unless I feed him by hand (with tweezers)...I´m hoping he will hunt a little.

African bullfrogs

I keep one of my african bullfrogs in a 2 1/2 foot long rubbermaid tub and it is working perfectly for him. It also keeps a high humidity at all times and it keeps lots of heat in.

Eel Noob

It's all a person choice IMO. I used to use plastic tubs which I like because of the width and the lid which I can drill holes to control humidity but has change all my frogs to glass tanks just because I keep fishes as well.

Thread Information