Thread: Rainwater FTW!!

deeishealthy

Default Rainwater FTW!!

Posted this on FB to a friend after discovering the PH in my rainwater is perfect: Sesame Park needs to have a humidity between 60-90. The monsoon keeps it there automatically, so I don't have to hand mist. I have it connected to my daytime lights timer. I run distilled water through it, so the minerals do not stain the glass (think shower doors). However, to purchase distilled water it is costing me $2 a day. And the containers piling up is really distressing me from an ecological standpoint. So I went hunting for an alternative when it hit me... I have free distilled water falling from the sky ALL THE TIME. I Googled it, and sure enough rainwater is AWESOME in a vivarium as long as it's not acid rain. So I wanted to test the ph to see how acidic the rainwater is. Good news, it's perfect, and now I can use it for the mister!! AND even better, I am picking up a countertop distiller from someone on freecycle (so free) this afternoon. This means I am saving $2 a day rain or shine. Considering how long frogs live (up to 20 years) that's a savings maybe up to $16,000.

But then the best part happened... I went to pick up the distiller and it turned out not to be a $200 countertop one, but an $800 full size one!!! I have to replace a plug on it, but I have already budgeted $200 for a distiller so am way ahead of the game. WOOT!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: Rainwater FTW!!

nice find although i still think you should use de-chlor tap in your mister. unless your water is super hard.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Default Re: Rainwater FTW!!

Great find! A distiller will suck some power though, but definitely cheaper than store bought. Mine is also a full sized home model (and was also free) and it burns about 1 kWh per liter of distilled water it produces. Mine has a large storage tank so I try to do as much of my distilling as I can in the winter months where that power use is enjoyed as 'free' heat, and during the off hours when hydro is cheaper.

Thread Information