Thread: Help Identifying a Frog :)

FroggieQueen

Smile Help Identifying a Frog :)

Hi there,

This is my first post! My husband found a frog at his work site and brought it home. We're not sure what kind he is? I think maybe Sierran Tree Frog? We're from California and looked through a list of native species and that one looked the most like the one we found. Here's some pictures.

Name:  IMG_0487.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  58.1 KBName:  IMG_0490.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  63.8 KB

Now, I'm hoping you guys can help me. How big should his habitat be? It's only the one frog and we just have him in a 1.5 or 1.75 galleon pet keeper with some moss (from Petco) and branches from outside, it was all we had. Also, what do they eat? We got the small superworms in there, but I don't know if he'll eat them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Murray of the Deep

Default Re: Help Identifying a Frog :)

Quote Originally Posted by FroggieQueen View Post
    Hi there,

This is my first post! My husband found a frog at his work site and brought it home. We're not sure what kind he is? I think maybe Sierran Tree Frog? We're from California and looked through a list of native species and that one looked the most like the one we found. Here's some pictures.

Name:  IMG_0487.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  58.1 KBName:  IMG_0490.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  63.8 KB

Now, I'm hoping you guys can help me. How big should his habitat be? It's only the one frog and we just have him in a 1.5 or 1.75 galleon pet keeper with some moss (from Petco) and branches from outside, it was all we had. Also, what do they eat? We got the small superworms in there, but I don't know if he'll eat them.
    is that a Rana Erythraea?? if not im sure its a ranid

FroggieQueen

Looking up Rana erythraea and ranid, this frog doesn't look like those at all.

100+ Post Member Gnag the nameless's Avatar
    Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Hmmm... you live in California? Well, according to the website Californian Frogs and Toads, to me that looks like a Pseudacris hypochondriaca, also known as a Baja California Tree frog. The nose coloration, with the white below the black stripe leading to the eye suggests that it is, as well as the bright green coloration.

I could be wrong. It's either that, or a Pseudacris sierra, also known as a Sierran Tree frog.

Either way, it's a tree frog juvenile or tree froglet.

6. This member thanks Gnag the nameless for this post:

Murray of the Deep

Pacific Tree frog or pacific chorus frog go search on net , yours look like one or is it a rana temporaria?

Looking at California Frogs and Toads the only options seem to be Chorus Frogs. The California treefrog doesn't have the dark mask behind the eye so it's one of the other three.

According to the description of any of the other three, Pseudacris hypochondriaca hypochondriaca - Baja California Treefrog, they used to be listed as one species before being split into three. In other words, you will likely have little to no chance of telling them apart. The range maps given may help, but if you're near an edge or where they overlap this is probably very unreliable.

On the plus side it doesn't matter for their care, and they're often still all collectively called "Pacific chorus frogs". There are a few members here who keep Pacific chorus frogs who will hopefully help out and and here's a care sheet to get you started Frog Forum - Pacific Chorus Frog

Quote Originally Posted by Murray of the Deep View Post
    is that a Rana Erythraea?? if not im sure its a ranid
    A big hint in trying to identify species is where the thing came from. The OP is from California so unless there's reason to believe this was an import the safest assumption to start with is that it is a California native (or a species with an established population there). This rules out Rana erythraea, which is from Asia, and Rana temporaria, which is from Europe.

It also has toepads for sticking to things, ranids don't.

9. This member thanks UncleChester for this post:

FroggieQueen

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    Looking at California Frogs and Toads the only options seem to be Chorus Frogs. The California treefrog doesn't have the dark mask behind the eye so it's one of the other three.

According to the description of any of the other three, Pseudacris hypochondriaca hypochondriaca - Baja California Treefrog, they used to be listed as one species before being split into three. In other words, you will likely have little to no chance of telling them apart. The range maps given may help, but if you're near an edge or where they overlap this is probably very unreliable.

On the plus side it doesn't matter for their care, and they're often still all collectively called "Pacific chorus frogs". There are a few members here who keep Pacific chorus frogs who will hopefully help out and and here's a care sheet to get you started Frog Forum - Pacific Chorus Frog
    Very informative, thank you!

Thread Information