Thread: Upgrading Vivarium, Trying to decide on a Size for 1+ WTF!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Upgrading Vivarium, Trying to decide on a Size for 1+ WTF!

Hi all,

So, I currently have one White's Tree Frog (my other one died a couple of days ago), but I will inevitably be getting at least one more in the future when I am more comfortable with caring for these guys, and have a more stable living situation.

I have a 10 gallon fish tank right now, only about 12" tall, and Hope escapes it every night in search of adventure. There's not really anywhere for him to go, and I always find him, but I can tell he isn't thrilled with his living space.

That said, I want to get a larger tank, but don't want to have to re-upgrade at a later point. I will keep this 10 gallon tank for a hospital enclosure, but I want to give Hope an awesome home - one that can be populated by more WTF's in the future, as well.

I have heard that each needs a minimum of 10 gallons, but haven't heard about any maximum recommendations. So here are my top choices right now:

1.) 85 gal tank for $100 off Craigslist, 31" tall with some other heater/lighting stuff included (so, a great deal for a tank I will never have to upgrade for size reasons!)
    2.) Zoo Med or Exo Terra glass terrarium 18"x18"x24" (smaller, but awesome side door accessibility, and probably easier to manage humidity and temp. Probably higher price tag)

Does anyone have any other main pros or cons I should be considering? I will be getting at least one more frog, but maybe, if I really get addicted, I could end up with as many as 6. Obviously, I would need the big ol' tank for that case. How many could I realistically keep in the Zoo Med/Exo Terra ones? I love how those are designed, with the latching side door(s).

Let me know what you think!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]

Default Re: Upgrading Vivarium, Trying to decide on a Size for 1+ WTF!

Hi there
    Im very sorry for your loss if your WTF is very active you can put him in a 20 to 30 gallon tank, as you said that you may get another one, the 85 seems perfect if your getting a tankmate or two...or three for your frog The ten gallon would be perfect for a hospital enclosure but you want to use paper towel instead of cocoa fiber or any other dirt, in general hospital tanks dont need to be too fancy.

Hope your frog finds a new tanikmate!

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]

I would really try to prevent your current frog from escaping. That has to put a ton of stress on it.

Personally I like to go with the largest tank possible and affordable. Only draw back with larger tanks are the initial cost of buying larger or more items to get your tank going. Lighting, heating, plants, substrate, etc... But your frogs will be happier in the long run. The 85 gallon would be sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gage View Post
    ... but haven't heard about any maximum recommendations...
    How many gallons does Australia count as?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by UncleChester View Post
    How many gallons does Australia count as?
    hahaha - it's gotta be AT LEAST 200, wouldn't you say?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Bdimas View Post
    I would really try to prevent your current frog from escaping. That has to put a ton of stress on it.

Personally I like to go with the largest tank possible and affordable. Only draw back with larger tanks are the initial cost of buying larger or more items to get your tank going. Lighting, heating, plants, substrate, etc... But your frogs will be happier in the long run. The 85 gallon would be sweet.
    Yes, I totally agree - I have jimmy-rigged the screen 4 separate times. He is crazy determined, and now has evidently developed the Herculean strength necessary to lift the whole thing WHILE clinging to the side of the tank and no supports. I was trying to make light of it because I end up astonished every time that he is out. He seems perfectly content with being recovered though. Never squirms even a little.

But... as for the next enclosure, yeah it's been running through my mind that it may require a lot more to heat and maintain. I have a pretty large ceramic heat bulb now, any ideas how many sources would be needed to heat the big tank?

Nationality
    [United States]

So far, that looks like votes for the 85 gal tank.

Anyone want to throw in suggestions for plants to fill the space? Preparation and growth requirement information is nice, too, cause I have little to no knowledge of plant husbandry right now.

Thread Information