Thread: A little help feeding

crushinglimits

Default A little help feeding

Hey guys, brand new to the forum and owning a pac, so he had a previous owner and still a baby, the owner im pretty sure was feeding him wrong, a pinky mouse like every couple days, and crickets.... ive had the guy for about a month hes doing ok although he wont eat worms at ALL, he loves crickets and did devour a waxworm once too, usually eats like 3-4 good size crickets in a feeding, ive already wasted about 15 bucks on 3 tubs of night crawlers and he literally wont touch them, any ideas? can we avoid them all together and feed him other things?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

unkempt1

Default Re: A little help feeding

You can get away with feeding your pacman just crickets, properly dusted. Worms are just better, from what I have read.

crushinglimits

Quote Originally Posted by unkempt1 View Post
    You can get away with feeding your pacman just crickets, properly dusted. Worms are just better, from what I have read.
    ok great, this is good info thanks

TheSnakeGuy

So night crawler earthworms are the highest nutrition for pacmans? Do they still need to be dusted? Being so big, how do you feed them to a small frog? Those worms are anywhere from 4-8 inches long. Just curious.

Pezoneden

u can cut the worm to size accordingly and maybe use tongs to feed him just brush it up against his mouth. ivory has some tong feeding videos up on you tube

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

please answer trouble in the enclosure questions here, this way we can assist you better.
    for now - don't panic! and forget about feeding pinkies for now. first thing you need to do is to ensure that conditions are good and stress free as possible. next step would be feeding, if he eats crickets, let it be for now, once he settles down introduce roaches. If he doesn't want nightcrawlers, don't insist too much now, but you should try when he looks hungry. Nightcrawlers can be in a fridge for a very long time, just get them some dirt.
    he is not tong trained, isn't he? before you start training you need to take time and make sure he is eating in general.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Night Crawlers are the best staple food for them, but not all Pacman Frogs will accept them. Like was stated above try not to force them upon the frog. You can cut appropriately sized chunks off the worm starting from the tail. Pieces should be about 3/4" to 1" depending on the size of your frog. Take into consideration the thickness of the worm as well. Don't offer one that is so large that the frog will have a hard time biting it. Start out with skinnier worms. Waxworms make a good treat, but over all are not a good food due to high fat content. Crickets are fine as a staple just be sure to dust them with a multivitamin once a week and with a calcium powder that contains Vitamin D3 every other feeding, but not at the same time in the same feeding. Babies can be fed daily to every other day.

Night Crawler chunks do still need to be supplemented by dusting, but they can be dusted a little less often. Do not offer anymore pinky mice. They should be a treat only once a month.

crushinglimits

thanks guys, i got him 1 dubai roach he devoured it! still no to the nightcrawlers so i wont push those yet, i am dusting the crickets too

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by crushinglimits View Post
    thanks guys, i got him 1 dubai roach he devoured it! still no to the nightcrawlers so i wont push those yet, i am dusting the crickets too
    Thanks for the update.

Thread Information