Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gray Tree Frog Care - Hyla versicolor and Hyla chrysoscelis

Kurt

Default Re: Gray Tree Frog Care - Hyla versicolor and Hyla chrysoscelis

Raise your own fruit flies. Cultures can be purchased from either Black Jungle or Josh's Frogs.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Rae

Hi I just joined because my family has adopted a Grey Tree Frog last night, that had been resideing in our front bush. And through the wonders of google I came across this site.
    My daughter had become quite fond of the lil guy (we think its male) so for her birthday we purchased a nice terrarium and now have a tree frog as a pet.
    I am the last person who ever thought I'd have a frog as a pet but am enjoying learning about them.
    Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

Greenlove

Where can I buy the moths that this article mentions? I'm trying to keep their diet exciting for them.

Greenlove

John,
    Would just like some clarification. In your article under feeding, it says to use vitamin powder and calcium, but to use them at different times because the calcium will degrade components and inhibit uptake of some of the vitamins. Then under "Raising eggs, tadpoles and froglets, it says to mix them. I'm alternating the supplements because that seems to be the consensus. Can you please clarify what you mean for me, (the newbie), and all the future newbies that will read this article. Thank you for writing this, it has been very educational.

Paul Rust

I won't speak for John, but in my experience I don't think he meant that you cannot feed them both supplements at the same time. You don't want to mix and store them together in the same container. I dust with vitamin on one feeding and then calcium on the next. I will let John answer for himself beyond this.

Sandi

I wanted to say thank you for the valuable information I've collected from this blog. My daughter found a little mostly frozen frog on the outside window ledge of a Dairy Queen (it gets about 30-40 F at night). She scooped her up and brought her home with us. After some investigating, we determined that she is a Gray Tree Frog. As I used to keep vivariums in the past, I had an idea of what is required, but needed more 'species specific' info. Which I found plenty of here!! So she's set up in her new home, getting settled. We're trying some waxworms but may go out for some wingless fruit flies.
    I hope she survives and takes well to her new home. So wish us luck!!

WilliBond0007

Many thanks for this article, especially the information on cycling. I caught a number of Hyla versicolors this summer and was hoping I could gethem to breed in a 38 I placed them in with water. Unfortunately it was too late in the year and none bred. I lethe larger ones free but keptwo of the smaller ones to fatten up. I have taken the 38 and palced in near a window in our storage room, as close as possible. Then I took a opaque tarp and placed that around the window and over the terrarium/aquarium. I am abouto stick several thermometers on the window [inside] and inside the terrarium. It is my hope that thiset up will allow them to cool down enough and at the same time provide a bit of insulation from the outside cold. I left a good two to three inches in the aquarium so that if could act as a temperature sink; the temp shouldn't change that quickly. Will let you knowhathe temperature is if anyone asks. It has only started to get really cold here 0C/32F within the last week. I am wondering myself whathe temperature is in the tank myself. You can view the tank on my uTube site. YouTube - Hyla versicolor terrrarium Feel free to friend me on uTube if you're a critter caretaker!!

Paulalyn74

They are great pets. I have a 3 year old. We have three grey tree frogs. My daughter loves them. Her pop-pop is getting her a bearded dragon for x-mas..

WilliBond0007

Default Cycling Hyla versicolor over the winter

Well the setup withe above tank did not seem to allow the terrrarium to get cold enough so I took the two H versicolors I still have and put them in a storage container in the garage. The temperature outside the terrarium never went below 60F/15C even withe temperature outside around 20F/-5C. The container they are in now is filled ~ half way up with dirt and leaves and then I placed the two hides they were in inside the container.

The temperature in the garage is at ~45F/7C. It doesn't get as cold in there as it does outside since there is a huge freezer that actually gives off some heat. That and I suppose some of the heat from the house disapates in there as well. Do you think I should allow them to get colder than 5C? I will monitor the temperature. Has anyone who cycled H versicolor kept tabs on how cold they've lethem become? I assume I should leave them out in the garage til sometime in March.

What humidity level do you recommend? I have a gadget that measures temperature and humidity and I think I will plop that it there when I am done typing this to see what it is. Want to thank you again for this most excellent article.

Kameron

Question Re: Gray Tree Frog Care - Hyla versicolor and Hyla chrysoscelis

i have two baby gray tree frogs proboly about 4 months i was planing on breeding them next year. and in the breeding section it says to stop feeding them for 3 months during the cooling period will that kill my frogs becuase i raised these from the wild when i found them in my pool so i am very attacthed and dont want to loose them. and also are the females going to die after they lay the egg.

nml

What a sweet frog!!!!

Lamb

I enjoyed the article. One comment: You note that peepers are calling in the clip on the site. There are also chorus frogs calling (Pseudacris). They sound like P. nigrita, but I don't know where the recording was made.

Nationality
    [Ireland]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by Lamb View Post
    I enjoyed the article. One comment: You note that peepers are calling in the clip on the site. There are also chorus frogs calling (Pseudacris). They sound like P. nigrita, but I don't know where the recording was made.
    There's a myriad of frog species in the background, though the Pseudacris in the area is not P. nigrita. Peepers are just the most intrusive in the recording. Thank you.
    Founder of Frogforum.net (2008) and Caudata.org (2001)

vanjorkeevan

I have a green tree frog, a grey tree frog and a fire belly toad. I found my toad and grey tree frog mating so now I am wondering if the tree frog is pregnant? How would I know if she is? And is this even possible?

Nationality
    [Ireland]

Quote Originally Posted by vanjorkeevan View Post
    I have a green tree frog, a grey tree frog and a fire belly toad. I found my toad and grey tree frog mating so now I am wondering if the tree frog is pregnant? How would I know if she is? And is this even possible?
    Firstly, mixing species like this is a disaster waiting to happen. Each species can carry diseases and parasites that the others have never been exposed to before. On top of that, as you are now experiencing, one can stress another by grasping it in amplexus. They are not trying to mate - the male is claiming the other frog on the off chance they will mate in the future. The tree frog may not even be female. The stress suffered from the tree frog could lead to its death. Please never mix species like this. For further questions please start your own new thread. This thread is for comments on our Gray Tree Frog article, and not for general frog questions.

WilliBond0007

Well, I am thinking of bringin my two Hyla versicolour in. From my reading, they're more likely than not H chrysoscelis, but you'll have to forgive me, versicolor is easier to remember and one can pronounce it as well from the spelling. As you can see from the thread they've been outside since Dec 11th. The first two months were in the garage, and the last month or so has been outside under the deck. It's rather cold right now, so I will wait for a day when it is around 10C/50F to bring them in. Hope to breed them easily in the tank I have set up this year. Let them go and Raise the tadpoles. Such a beautiful species!

Nationality
    [Ireland]

I've closed the comments section because people are using it to post questions about the frogs, rather than comment on the article. If you want to ask questions about Gray Tree Frogs, please use the Tree Frog discussion area.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information