Thread: Sick Whites Tree Frog? Please help ASAP.

BethnayGrace

Default Sick Whites Tree Frog? Please help ASAP.

Hello!

I own a Whites Tree Frog, James, I bought him from Petco in April of last year. Up until a couple weeks ago he'd been very healthy, eating meal worms and crickets. I've kept the temperature up to about 80 and at night to 65-70 degrees. I try to keep the humidity up to 60 I am away most of the day so the humidity does drop during the day. Lately I've noticed that James hasn't been eating at all lately. I give him about 6 mealworms at night and leave in crickets. I've noticed he's been shedding ALOT, atleast I think thats what he's doing, theres what looks like a white string coming out of his mouth. Lately its been happening everyday. When he opens his mouth I can see black matter. I think thats from the Coconut Substrate that I use for the bedding. I took a look at him today & he's super skinny. I'm really worried and I dont know what to do. PLEASE HELP!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Sick Whites Tree Frog? Please help ASAP.

Hi there
    The black matter in his mouth may be the cocoanut fiber substrate, im not 100% sure what is wrong but i would set up another tank for him to go in. I would use paper towel for substrate if this keeps happening to him.

Hope your frog gets better!

HerpDerp

Default Re: Sick Whites Tree Frog? Please help ASAP.

Meal worms should only be fed as an occasional treat. It sounds like you've been feeding too many meal worms and he has become impacted. Frogs cannot digest the exoskeleton on a meal worm as well as they can on crickets. Too many meal worms can really bind them up. Try doing a shallow soak in warm water with a drop or two of Honey. I highly recommend doing this nightly until you see poop. When is the last time he pooped? You may also want to use a calcium supplement in the soak so he doesn't develop a deficiency. This is the best advice I can give you. Hopefully someone with more experience in treating ailments can give you more advice. Good luck.

Thread Information