Thread: Looking to upgrade vivarium setup in a 10 gal tank

TechSmurf

Default Looking to upgrade vivarium setup in a 10 gal tank

Howdy all. I've had two fire bellies for a few years now and while they've been happy, their tank has never really been anything special. 10 gallon tank, large water bowl, coco fiber (not husk!) substrate, moss overlay and a toad hut for a hideaway. I've been poring over the forums lately and I think it's time to upgrade my setup. My plan is to install a some plexiglass to cordon off half the tank for water, set up a ramp of large gravel, and install a sponge filter. I plan on keeping the coco fiber/moss setup for the other half and adding some pothos (I've got scads of starts around the house).

I've seen false bottoms mentioned a few times in the vivarium subforum-- would they be useful for the dry half of the tank? Additionally, would springtails or pillbugs be useful for helping keep the tank clean? I do a regular cleaning of the moss but I would love to have a setup that can self-regulate itself a bit more.

Are there any other additions to the tank I should integrate?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

TechSmurf

Default Re: Looking to upgrade vivarium setup in a 10 gal tank

A bit more research and I think I'm ready to go ahead with this. Skipping the false bottom, and I'm going to see if I can rustle up some pillbugs from the yard. Failing that, I'll order some. Some leaf litter and slightly recessed dry areas should keep them from venturing into a watery grave.

NatureLady

If you are going to divide the tank with glass or plexi there is no need for a false bottom. BUT you will need a way to drain the water out of the land portion. Also make sure that your pill bugs are collected from a pesticide free area so that their is no possible contamination. I have seen some pretty darn amazing 10g FBT vivs while doing research. Good luck and can't wait to see your progress.

Pezoneden

Name:  CAM00076.jpg
Views: 3281
Size:  67.8 KB heres a pick of my 40/60 plant was out for feeding on land side crickets always run and hide in it and the frogs have a hard time climbing that one

TechSmurf

Quote Originally Posted by NatureLady View Post
    If you are going to divide the tank with glass or plexi there is no need for a false bottom. BUT you will need a way to drain the water out of the land portion. Also make sure that your pill bugs are collected from a pesticide free area so that their is no possible contamination. I have seen some pretty darn amazing 10g FBT vivs while doing research. Good luck and can't wait to see your progress.
    What's an effective way to drain water from the land section? Should I invest in a pump, as well?

I don't use any pesticides in my yard, and I don't think pillbugs travel quite that far in their little lives, so I think they should be fine.

Pezoneden-- thanks for the photo!

I've been using this as a basic guide so far. Got the plexiglass installed last night and did a leak test tonight-- everything's going smoothly so far. I've got some photos of the work in progress I'll have to upload.

NatureLady

Just some sort of tube that runs to the bottom so that you can siphon the excess water.

TechSmurf

Here we go!
    Name:  tank 1.jpg
Views: 707
Size:  70.3 KB
    I have a little toad hut they've been using for a while now. I wanted to make sure there was enough room to sit that on the dry area.
    Name:  tank 2.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  70.5 KB
    Taping off the dry section.

Name:  tank 3.jpg
Views: 380
Size:  65.6 KB
    I haven't used silicon like this before. I probably added way more than I needed, but I'd rather go overboard than have a leak later. It'll all be covered up anyway.

Name:  tank 4.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  69.6 KB
    The water test! I left it filled up for a few hours and it's watertight. Tomorrow, I'm going to get some stones and add some foam shaping.

NatureLady

It looks good! Are you going to put live plants in there when you get to that point?

kroberts009

thanks for the pics.. it would be awesome if you update a little later on... thinking about doing something along the lines of this.. for my pair of FBT's

Pezoneden

thats awesome now i wanna remodel i wasnt lucky enough to find that post in my searching. this would be great for my set up as they rarely come on to land. this also would give me a chance to make a pound area for feeding guppies and then i was also thinking of putting a turtle dock in the same area. One question about the coconut shell i tried that before and it got moldy in like 3 days and the frogs never went in it only the crickets do. do u have similar issues with it?

Do yourself a favor and when you put your drainage tube in the land side, cut a small piece of sponge and put it on the end to prevent the tube from getting clogged
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Pezoneden

you could maybe buy an aquarium vacuum to suck up all the water. I bought a large yellow dry wall sponge from homedepot it sucks up all the water in 3 dunks

I meant for when the tank has substrate in it. I use grout sponges from h.d. for cleaning out empty aquariums, the scrubbie side helps immensely.
    m
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

TechSmurf

Quote Originally Posted by Pezoneden View Post
    One question about the coconut shell i tried that before and it got moldy in like 3 days and the frogs never went in it only the crickets do. do u have similar issues with it?
    Nope! It's not actually a coconut shell- it's glazed ceramic. A local guy makes them. Here's a better shot:
    Name:  Hut 1.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  95.8 KB

And the one my American Toads reside in:
    Name:  Hut 2.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  90.2 KB

Bill- thanks for the tip! I'll have to give that a shot. I'm thinking of using a layer of moss/gravel at the bottom so it will actually be drainable, and not just a soppy mess.

Tonight: Spray foam!

Pezoneden

thats what i ment grout sponge not drywall sponge duh we actually use it more for drywall than grout though lol

Quote Originally Posted by TechSmurf View Post
    Nope! It's not actually a coconut shell- it's glazed ceramic. A local guy makes them. Here's a better shot:
    Name:  Hut 1.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  95.8 KB

And the one my American Toads reside in:
    Name:  Hut 2.jpg
Views: 999
Size:  90.2 KBi

Bill- thanks for the tip! I'll have to give that a shot. I'm thinking of using a layer of moss/gravel at the bottom so it will actually be drainable, and not just a soppy mess.

Tonight: Spray foam!
    very cool huts!! I figured you would have drainage, but you would be amazed at what can get under there and can clog your siphon hose, even with protection like screening. I can't tell you how many times i turned blue sucking on a clogged sipjon hose....lol
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Quote Originally Posted by Pezoneden View Post
    thats what i ment grout sponge not drywall sponge duh we actually use it more for drywall than grout though lol
    Yeah man....those sponges are killer. I always keep 3 or 4 laying around. And btw, the mold on the coconut shell will go away in a couple weeks. It won't harm anything in the tank. It sometimes happens to things like wood, coconuts and the like while acclimating to a high humidity environment.
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri