Thread: First Pacman died...

charlesc84

Default First Pacman died...

I have a huge Cranwell's frog that sadly died on me tonight... After the hurricane I had no power for 2 weeks and the house was cold. I thought the frog would be okay as it seemed to hate the heat but I found it not moving one day, long story short, I heated it up with a hand warmer and and gave it to a friend who had power. From there, I took the frog to my moms house in PA. And a week ago, I took the frog home. I cleaned out the cage tonight but the frog wasn't looking good... I soaked it in room temperature water, and it fattened up and it looked better. And now, I just found it dead. I've had this frog for 3 years, and it was a giant eating machine. I've never been this miserable about an animal dying before.
    For the last 2 months, the frog only ate once. I tried offering food a few times, but it was refusing to eat. I think all the moving stressed it out.

I need a new frog... I considering a some sort of Pacman morph, but I don't want a frog that will stay small on me. I want something that will get huge. I've read that the morphs usually end up being dwarfs, don't know how true that is though. Any recommendations?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: First Pacman died...

Sorry for your loss. You tried your best!

www.mikesphatfrogs.com

I will have a large number of frogs and morphs for sale here within two weeks.

Morphs are just a color. It doesnt dwarf the frog. I have a 6 in samurai blue female and shes just as big as my regular cranwelli

charlesc84

Ok, maybe I'll order one. My frog measured a little over 5 inches last time I checked around a year ago or so. I did try 2 other frogs a while back, both of which I gave away. I had a Caatinga, which barely grew over 2 inches... I fed it a lot, kept it in good conditions etc... It just never grew for me. Same problem with a fantasy frog that I had, it just never grew. I did some research and ended up reading how sometimes horned frogs don't grow right when the breeders use hormone injections. The Caatinga is still alive but with one of my friends. The fantasy frog ended up dying with the person I gave it to, although I suspect it wasn't cared for properly with that person.
    When it comes to Pacmans, I really like the monster frogs, which is why I loved mine. When I get a new frog I wanna be able to grow it up into a big giant monster, not some little 3 inch thing.

How big are your samurai blues? Also, would you be able to pick me out a female?... I honestly care about size over morph, but a huge morph would work for me to.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

I can't sex them as babies. My sam blue females are 5 and 6 inches. Apricots are the same. Lime greens are 5 inches too.

Sent from my LG-C800 using Tapatalk 2

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry to hear about your Cranwelli. You want an eating machine? Pyxiecephalus Adspersus. Nothing compares my friend. As far as Horned frogs go, IMO the ornates are more voracious. Pyxies get a lot bigger than any of the ceratophrys that are commonly available.

Some other options would be Roccoco toads. I don't know what was up with your Cattinga. They are suppose to be little demons when it comes to eating. In regard to size, all of the bigger horned frogs are females. Tough to sex them unless they are a few moths old.

Again sorry for your loss man. Mike can find you just about anything. Yer in good hands there.
    Thanks
    DW

charlesc84

I might get a pixie after all, I don't know yet. My friend had an ornate and it was a wimp compared my frog... I would still consider one though. I feel like I'm rushing to replace this one, but maybe I should wait for an expo. I don't know. I like the size and aggression of pixies but prefer the coloration and variety of pacmans, I'm torn.

charlesc84

RIP

Nationality
    [United States]

I really wanted a horned frog for the exact reasons you state (already had a pyxie), and I looked for about 6 months for one that I liked. Ended up getting a really awesome ornata. I also own a peppermint Cranwelli, and two Cornuta. The Ornate is by far the most aggressive in every way. Of course you might consider that my Pyxie could viably eat all four of those horned frogs and still be looking to eat more...lol.
    Thanks
    DW

charlesc84

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    I really wanted a horned frog for the exact reasons you state (already had a pyxie), and I looked for about 6 months for one that I liked. Ended up getting a really awesome ornata. I also own a peppermint Cranwelli, and two Cornuta. The Ornate is by far the most aggressive in every way. Of course you might consider that my Pyxie could viably eat all four of those horned frogs and still be looking to eat more...lol.
    I'd order a pixie right this second if I thought I could land a male. I'm really not interested in a female... I figure my frog died I might as well get something twice its size.

Nationality
    [United States]

Ya I hear ya. Its a lot of fun growing them. I had a female, and ordered three more to improve chances of a male. I ended up with one male. It was a blast. You could literally watch them grow day by day.
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [Canada]

eating machine prize goes to roccoco toads, those are crazy!

so sorry for your loss
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Sorry for your loss.

Sounds like your Joaz was stunted my male is 3.5" and my female is 4.25".

Whether the frog us an eating machine depends on the individual frog, not so much as species. Although Pyxi Frogs and Pacman Frogs are known for their voracious appetites. Ornata are known to be very enthusiastic when it comes to food, but my 5" female Cranwelli is just as much of a great eater as any of my Onates and my female Joazeirensis(Caatinga) is just as voracious.

When it comes to frogs you are likely to get one that is not going to be a voracious eater whether it be a Pyxi or Ceratophrys. The same can be said about size. Its all in the frog's genetics. Buy whichever species you feel fits your wants and hope that it comes from good genes. Mike's frogs are of good stock and so does Jim and Jessica Ivory of Ivory Reptiles. Mike deals in the many varying morphs and some of the more rare species.

Good luck on your decision.

Thread Information