Thread: How often is TOO often?

Cylifornia

Question How often is TOO often?

I don't yet have a frog, but I'm getting a White's tree frog this summer so for the time being, I'm trying to absorb as much info as I can.

I read that cleaning their habitat too often will cause un-needed stress to the frog so I don't want to clean too often, but at the same time, I don't want to wait too long between cleanings and end up with a sick frog due to bacteria growth. In your experience, how often is a good time period for cleanings?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

100+ Post Member Louis Charles Bruckner's Avatar
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: How often is TOO often?

It all depends on your substrate.

If it is all water then you just need a filter system that can handle the wastes.
    If there is a lot of live plants and a good mechanical filter media and you do
    water changes as you would do in a similar sized aquarium and vacuum the gravel
    that is under the water. (putting gravel within reach of a frogs hungry mouth is a bad idea.)
    Then the cleanings would be far apart and the least intrusion on your frog.

If it is a coco-fiber then I think it is best to spot clean stool daily, and replacement
    every month or so. The best way to tell is using your nose. It should have a earthy odor.
    If it starts to smell then it is in a need of a change.
    Also live plants will help with this type of substrate.

I am sure that the others here that have more experience than I will help also.

I am glad that you are planning well ahead of getting your frog.
    Getting the enclosure setup and running properly is a really good thing to do.

Cylifornia

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Charles Bruckner View Post

If it is all water then you just need a filter system that can handle the wastes.
    that is under the water. (putting gravel within reach of a frogs hungry mouth is a bad idea.)

If it is a coco-fiber then I think it is best to spot clean stool daily, and replacement
    every month or so. The best way to tell is using your nose. It should have a earthy odor.

Yeah, I intend to get the tank first then the decorations and then once its all set up and I get the temperature and humidity balanced and I get a hang of keeping it in balance I will get the frog.

Cylifornia

Quote Originally Posted by Cylifornia View Post
    Yeah, I intend to get the tank first then the decorations and then once its all set up and I get the temperature and humidity balanced and I get a hang of keeping it in balance I will get the frog.
    Oh and I intend to use coco fiber

Nationality
    [United States]

Default How often is TOO often?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis Charles Bruckner View Post

Louis has got you covered.

If using a false bottom and springtails and/or isopods you will not have to change much at all. An access area would allow for water siphoning. The substrate would constantly be cleansed by the misting. I push the occasional frog poo into the substrate next to the plant roots for plant food. The rest I spot clean daily to just remove visible feces.

If not using a false bottom, as Louis has mentioned, about every 4 weeks you'll need to do a substrate change.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

HerpDerp

Quote Originally Posted by Heatheranne View Post
    I push the occasional frog poo into the substrate next to the plant roots for plant food.
    This is a great idea! I think I'll give that a try! Although my pothos has pushed through the false bottom and has roots in the water so I don't think that one will need it!

Nationality
    [United States]

Default How often is TOO often?

Quote Originally Posted by HerpDerp View Post
    This is a great idea! I think I'll give that a try! Although my pothos has pushed through the false bottom and has roots in the water so I don't think that one will need it!
    Wow! I guess it really wanted a drink, lol!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information