Thread: What about lights?

Cylifornia

Question What about lights?

I've been told for a White's tree frog I need a heat lamp but UVB isn't necessary. I don't have a frog yet, but i am preparing for one. I have a dome lamp (I intend to put it on the mesh lid) and this weekend I'm going to my herp store, I want a red heat bulb so I can see hi at night, is it necessary to have a white heat bulb for during the day or is the red one good for all day?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: What about lights?

Many frogs and toads prefer having a basking spot. Keep the rest of the terrarium at the required average temperature for the species. You usually don't need a heat lamp at night, since a drop in temperature is normal. If you want to see the frog at night, a non-heat red lamp is all that's necessary. Whites can usually tolerate temperatures around 80(F) day and 70(F) at night.
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

HerpDerp

Definitely a white heat light would be good during the day. All I used to use is a 100w incandescent bulb that that seemed to work okay. But it did tend to dry out the terrarium more than my ceramic heat emitter. I've read on here a few times that people who use red lights at night seem to have problems getting their frogs to eat and act normally at night. I don't have any experience here, as I've never used one. What I used to do with the 100w bulb was I dimmed it about an hour before I would turn the light off completely so the frog was somewhat active due to the lower light level. But he wouldn't be fully active until I turned it off all the way.

Cylifornia

I can deal with not seeing him at night, I just want the best lighting for him. I currently have a dome lamp and a white hallogen bulb (I was told thats a heat bulb?) from my turtle I no longer have. the lamp itself has a switch so its either on or its off, is this a good lamp setup, or should I sell it and get a different one?

Thread Information