Thread: Tank size

unkempt1

Default Tank size

I currently house my pacman Jimmy in a ten gallon tank. Initially I got it because I wanted to have a nice enclosure with aesthetic touches to it, but I feel it's just too big for him (he's about four months old). Is a 5.5 gallon too small for him as he starts to reach adulthood?

It just seems like the tank is too big for him to hunt in. I have to tong feed him. I've trained him on tongs but would like the flexibility of dropping live food in there and letting nature take its course.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Tank size

Quote Originally Posted by unkempt1 View Post
    I currently house my pacman Jimmy in a ten gallon tank. Initially I got it because I wanted to have a nice enclosure with aesthetic touches to it, but I feel it's just too big for him (he's about four months old). Is a 5.5 gallon too small for him as he starts to reach adulthood?

It just seems like the tank is too big for him to hunt in. I have to tong feed him. I've trained him on tongs but would like the flexibility of dropping live food in there and letting nature take its course.
    Babies and juveniles are best kept in smaller enclosures. Usually a medium to large critter keeper will do nicely. Pacman Frogs do not need a lot of space because they spend the majority of their lives burrowed in favorite spots that yhey choose in their enclosure and don't use much of a large enclosure when provided.

A 5 to 5.5 gallon is just fine and a adult male can live happily for his entire life in such and enclosure. Females usually need larger enclosures once they reach adulthood due to them being larger, but they still only use a few select spots in their homes. They can even be kept in a 12"x12"x18" and be as happy as can be. It's all about keeping stress low and giving them what they need. Large enclosures are not a need, but more of a decoration to display your animal in a pretty setup, but is unnecessary.

I keep my males in either a medium to large critter keeper or a 12"x12"x18" enclosure. You may be wondering why I'm using a tank made for arboreal species of frog when a Pacman is terrestrial and the reason is lighting. A taller tank allows me to keep ample distance from surface of the substrate and the light. This allows the ambient air in the enclosure to be warmed and the distance protects the frog. Of course when using any kind of lighting I suggest providing plant cover whether it be live or fake. Large broad leaves provide shade and a place where they can hide so they are not sitting directly under the heat light. Lights are optional though and should only be used if you are having difficulty maintaining the tropical climate they need. Or if you need a way to create a 12 hour day/night cycle.

Females n spend their froglet and juvinile stages in small, medium, and large critter keepers until they become large enough to need more room. A 10 gallon will do very well and is plenty of space even for a very large female. Again remember that they usually will not use much groundspace even if provided so it can become more of a hassel when cleaning the large tank than a smaller one. The largest you ever want to think about going with a Pacman is a 20 gallon and this can even seem like a waste since they won't use all the area, but you can fill in the extra space with plants and decor if you like.

Also keep in mind that the larger the enclosure the harder it is to maintain a consistant climate.

I hope this helps.

Nationality
    [United States]

My adult female is in a 10 gallon. She uses maybe five square inches of it; the rest is just there so people don't think I'm cruelly confining my pets jk/jk.
    Really though, IMO a 10 gallon is best for an adult. It gives them enough room to move around and thermoregulate if they want to, but it's not so big that you have trouble maintaining a consistent climate.

Pezoneden

interesting im thinking of purchasing a pacman from mike real soon here and i have a 10 gal tank im planning on keeping him in. Should i go get a smaller tank untill he gets a little bigger or will he do just fine in the 10 gal? i have another tank that i put my firebellies in while cleaning their setup. its 12" long 6 1/2" wide and 12" tall would that work until he gets a little bigger?

Nationality
    [Canada]

you can stack your 10 gal with stuff ( plants, decor, etc) to minimize the space and then redo as the frog grows, but your smaller one will do, will need to cover 3 sides of it and put some stuff in anyway.
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    you can stack your 10 gal with stuff ( plants, decor, etc) to minimize the space and then redo as the frog grows, but your smaller one will do, will need to cover 3 sides of it and put some stuff in anyway.
    That poses a problem for feeding if the frog will not tong feed. To many places for feeders to hide from the frog.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pezoneden View Post
    interesting im thinking of purchasing a pacman from mike real soon here and i have a 10 gal tank im planning on keeping him in. Should i go get a smaller tank untill he gets a little bigger or will he do just fine in the 10 gal? i have another tank that i put my firebellies in while cleaning their setup. its 12" long 6 1/2" wide and 12" tall would that work until he gets a little bigger?
    Actually that sounds like a medium plastic critter keeper and would be a good size for a baby or juvi. Just slap a small UTH made for Hermit Crab enclosures on the side and provide a 12 hour day/night cycle and all should be fine. Cover the sides with some Cut to size Static Cling natural background(except the side with the UTH stuck on it) and he should feel nice and secure. Maybe even add a small fake plant to hide under.

You can also tape plastic wrap over most of the vents on the lid to keep heat and humidity in. Post a pic of this small container.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    That poses a problem for feeding if the frog will not tong feed. To many places for feeders to hide from the frog.

yeah that is true and that is why it is better when they tong trained, so many problems can be avoided this way
    Save one animal and it doesn't change the world, but it surely changes the world for that one animal!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Lija View Post
    yeah that is true and that is why it is better when they tong trained, so many problems can be avoided this way
    Exactly

Pezoneden

its super tiny Name:  CAM00068.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  83.1 KB

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Pezoneden View Post
    its super tiny Name:  CAM00068.jpg