Thread: do you want your male pixie to croak?

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Default do you want your male pixie to croak?

This is worth a try if you are wanting to hear your male Pixie frog croak.
    First take your frog out of his enclosure and put him in a different container,
    Second, feed him (after feeding or before he may pee or poo, clean that container and then put him back in it) and leave him in that container for a couple hours.
    Third, clean out his enclosure, replace all his water with luk-warm new water (80-85 degrees or so) replace all the substrate with new and rinse or moisen the new substrate with luk-warm water. the humidity should be pretty high in enclosure. rinse off any plants or decor also with luk-warm water.

Note: make sure the water is declorinated!

Forth, after a couple of hours in that container,(hopefully he peed or pood in it) put him back in his nice humid and clean enclosure.
    Fifth, he may start croaking during that night.
    if he is a young male it will be a sharp, medium tone, weird croak. it is a very unusual sound, my wife heard ours start croaking at 1:00am and every 15 min. after that all the rest of the night after i did the above steps, but she didnt realize it was the frog. she searched the house trying to figure out where that noise was coming from until i got up the next morning and told her it was the frog. she had never heard our frog before this. she has heard many frogs croaking but young pixies have a very unusual sound. it is not a "rib-bit" it is more like "Merrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"
    Good Luck!

also note; my pixie is 5 inches long and 4 months old
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Default Re: do you want your male pixie to croak?

Mine is 3" and he is already. What makes him go wild is just misting..

Very nice thread Matt, another thing to consider is, where is your pyxie located? Mine is in my room, so obviously I have more of a chance to hear it. What is interesting, is they will croak prematurely, it does not sound like a "moooo." From my experience it first sounds like a quacking sound.

Locascio

Default RE: do you want your male pixie to croak?

Lol this sounds like what I do every other week. Still not a peep out of him
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Locascio;155581]Lol this sounds like what I do every other week. Still not a peep out of him

That might be your problem, your frog is always in humid conditions. mine was in pretty dry substrate for a couple weeks before i changed everything out with luk-warm humid and very damp substrate. i have read that these frogs go threw a dry season then they emerge in the first rains croaking like crazy. i dont know if they croak like crazy the whole wet season. maybe try a little dry time and then bring the wet. i hope this works for you. it is cool to hear them. they are a weird sounding eating machines

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Lot of things at play that weren't mentioned that could have contributed. Keeping them in constant high humidity probably does have something to do with it. My dude has never been below 65%. Pretty sound logic on that point Matt. I haven't heard a peep either. I did hear the "juvi croak" when he was young, but I couldn't even be sure it was him.f

Also, I'm pretty sure your frog isn't 5 inches.....lol I'd guess three. Lets get a tape on him and more pics!!!!
    Thanks
    DW

[QUOTE=mattfish;155757]
    Quote Originally Posted by Locascio View Post
    Lol this sounds like what I do every other week. Still not a peep out of him

That might be your problem, your frog is always in humid conditions. mine was in pretty dry substrate for a couple weeks before i changed everything out with luk-warm humid and very damp substrate. i have read that these frogs go threw a dry season then they emerge in the first rains croaking like crazy. i dont know if they croak like crazy the whole wet season. maybe try a little dry time and then bring the wet. i hope this works for you. it is cool to hear them. they are a weird sounding eating machines
    It sounds like your onto something matt, since I rely on a fogger 90% of the time for humidity, I don't spray often. When I do spray, it makes the ground quite a bit more wet, than using the fogger (obviously.) That's when I have had more vocalization from my guy.

arielgasca420

and how do I get him to shut up? haha He keeps me up some nights croaking the night away.

Quote Originally Posted by arielgasca420 View Post
    and how do I get him to shut up? haha He keeps me up some nights croaking the night away.
    yeah..this was the one reason PART of me was hoping for a girl. Just a part though hehe.

Locascio

I put all my abf throw hibernation this year with 2-1/2 months of dry season droped them in a huge rain chamber and he still didn't call I should have left him down longer and timed the move to the rain chamber with a thunderstorm but I knew thay wouldint breed anyway

Locascio

I just want did to show that I could do it and bring them out safely the frogs are healthy and brakeing the bank. That's why I'm getting alot of baby's from mike this year and I'll be trying it agean with PACs next year now that I know I have what it takes to hibernate them and not lose any in the process

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Lot of things at play that weren't mentioned that could have contributed. Keeping them in constant high humidity probably does have something to do with it. My dude has never been below 65%. Pretty sound logic on that point Matt. I haven't heard a peep either. I did hear the "juvi croak" when he was young, but I couldn't even be sure it was him.f

Also, I'm pretty sure your frog isn't 5 inches.....lol I'd guess three. Lets get a tape on him and more pics!!!!
    Name:  frog 045.jpg
Views: 956
Size:  80.3 KBName:  frog 044.jpg
Views: 715
Size:  91.0 KB
    right know he is 4.75 inches, it is hard to get a picture of it. the tape measure is litterally almost touching him but i cant get the picture to get it, the last time i measured him was when he was sprawled out and just straight chillin. he is ready to eat right know so he isnt as chill. like i had said before, he would eat me if he could. "Honey i shrunk the kids" movie would have been very short if a pixie was in it!

bullfrog1986

I dunno if mine does or not lol... i'm always fast asleep with headphones on. be pretty cool if he did tho

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

just did it again, cleaned the whole cage and all the steps. we shall see if he does it again tonight. my wife will be very upset.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

it still works for me most the time.

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

just heard my big guy last night. he is over a year old now and his call is now a very deep baratone sound. it is like a big bass speaker sounding off a couple times for a second long or so. IT IS AWESOME!!! (:

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Just heard my big guy sound off again last night. He is over a year old now and his call has changed into a very deep baratone sound. It is like a large bass speaker going MERRRRRRRR.................MERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! MR. PICKLES IS AWESOME!!! (:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish View Post
    Just heard my big guy sound off again last night. He is over a year old now and his call has changed into a very deep baratone sound. It is like a large bass speaker going MERRRRRRRR.................MERRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! MR. PICKLES IS AWESOME!!! (:
    I love when they call. Günther hasn't called it a while, but its due to winter coming. He still eats a ton though.

Thread Information