Thread: Gender Choice from Backwater Reptiles or online retailer

lovenokia

Default Gender Choice from Backwater Reptiles or online retailer

Some online retailers have choices for gender for pixie frogs but want to know what the actual chances are. I am not sure what the chances are when gender is offered. I am ready to get a baby pixie frog from either backwater reptiles or lllreptiles but backwater has an option for male or female. I would prefer a male, but I hear that lllreptiles take very good care of their animals so I might just go with them.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ejh805

Default Re: Gender Choice from Backwater Reptiles or online retailer

I suggest not buying from backwater. Never heard anything good about them. I do know that they drop-ship, which means that they never even see the animal that they sell you. Baby pixies are nearly impossible to sex with any certainty. Unless juveniles or adults are being offered, I highly doubt anyone sending you your frog will be able to determine whether one is a male or female.

Quote Originally Posted by ejh805 View Post
    I suggest not buying from backwater. Never heard anything good about them. I do know that they drop-ship, which means that they never even see the animal that they sell you. Baby pixies are nearly impossible to sex with any certainty. Unless juveniles or adults are being offered, I highly doubt anyone sending you your frog will be able to determine whether one is a male or female.
    I agree with Emily. Unless it's newly adult, who could ever tell the sex? I did purchase my baby from LLL, and it's still very healthy about 6 weeks later.

Don't know about backwater, but i can give LLL a two chipmunk paws up! They rock and will never hesitate ordering from them again and again.
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri
    0.2.0 Canines
    1.0.0 Tabby/Maine Coon Mix
    2.1.0 Genetics Experiments
    0.1.0 Bed Bully

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

I ordered from LLL and have nothing but good things to say. Bruno at the retail store (oceanside?) told me he'd try to pick males for me and out of the three I got one male. He was good up front about saying "I'll try, but no gaurantee.". I had an awesome experience with LLL.

If you want a male, I reccomend getting 3 or 4 frogs. Then just sell the females (if you don't fall in love with them).
    Thanks
    DW

100+ Post Member
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

buying 3 or 4 is a great idea. if mine turned out to be a female i was going to buy 3 and sell mine. i have seen alot of videos of multiple frogs in one enclosure because they grew up together and are fed individually in other containers. that would have been cool but mine turned out to be male, i just had to fight all my american instincts and be patient.

Herpguy

I bet the retailers offering to predict gender are 100% right 50% of the time. Reminds me of those "baby gender tests" that my wife used... women.

Nationality
    [United States]

I too agree with buying a few (froglets) & raising them until you can confirm the sex. This is actually what I did. What I really wanted was 1 male & 1 female. So I bought 4 froglets. Some mos later, I realized I had 3 males & 1 female. Guess I hit the jackpot lol. I had originally planned on keeping just 1 m & 1 f. But now I dont know if I can part with any of them lol.

If you can swing getting a few of them, go for it. You probably already know...but keep in mind, they eat A LOT. You may want to think about breeding their food to be more cost effective. Dubia, crickets etc.

Btw, I bought mine from UndergroundReptiles. Ordered them through phone. Great experience. Good price, good s&h, & nice, healthy frogs. I would do business with them again without hesitation.

Good luck getting your male!

Murray of the Deep

Hey men dont buy from backwater reptiles it rips you off here's a thread of someone who got ripped of on backwater reptiles:
    http://www.frogforum.net/testimonial...-reptiles.html

Thread Information