Thread: In need of some ACF advice!

medises

Smile In need of some ACF advice!

So I have 2 African clawed frogs, one of which I got a month ago, and one which I have had since the summer that my family has been caring for while I was at school.

the older frog is significantly larger than her new friend, but not as large as I thought she would be. When I left for school she was in a ten gallon, but my family had been very stressed and busy and rather than change her water they moved her into a 1 gallon critter keeper! she also tends to ignore food that sinks to the bottom and so she relies on me to hand feed her, and do frequent water changes. Due to the circumstances I am quite worried her growth may have been stunted! over the past month that I have been home feeding her daily though she has grown noticeably larger. (she eats freeze dried krill chunks and frog pellets, and very rarely guppies as treats).

So my question is this: I want to bring my frogs back to school with me to remove that burden from my already very busy family, and to make sure they get proper care. the problem is I am technically not supposed to have them at school, and the largest tank I can bring them in is a 5 1/2 gallon. Would keeping them in this size tank until May cause stunted growth? I love them dearly and wouldn't want to cause them any harm! I can move them into a 30 gallon tank when I am home for the summer.

Any help would be appreciated, and thank you if you got all the way through this haha!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Murray of the Deep

Default Re: In need of some ACF advice!

Quote Originally Posted by medises View Post
    So I have 2 African clawed frogs, one of which I got a month ago, and one which I have had since the summer that my family has been caring for while I was at school.

the older frog is significantly larger than her new friend, but not as large as I thought she would be. When I left for school she was in a ten gallon, but my family had been very stressed and busy and rather than change her water they moved her into a 1 gallon critter keeper! she also tends to ignore food that sinks to the bottom and so she relies on me to hand feed her, and do frequent water changes. Due to the circumstances I am quite worried her growth may have been stunted! over the past month that I have been home feeding her daily though she has grown noticeably larger. (she eats freeze dried krill chunks and frog pellets, and very rarely guppies as treats).

So my question is this: I want to bring my frogs back to school with me to remove that burden from my already very busy family, and to make sure they get proper care. the problem is I am technically not supposed to have them at school, and the largest tank I can bring them in is a 5 1/2 gallon. Would keeping them in this size tank until May cause stunted growth? I love them dearly and wouldn't want to cause them any harm! I can move them into a 30 gallon tank when I am home for the summer.

Any help would be appreciated, and thank you if you got all the way through this haha!
    it would stunt the frog and kill it! I place mine in a 50gallon tank and grown so big after a few months, and sponge filter would help clean the water , do not use overhead filter it will suck your frog's legs into it and kill it , unless you have a large tank like mine. Dont bring them in a 5 gallon tank tell your parents to buy a sponge filter so that water would be clean and your parents wont be stressed cleaning it from time to time, and move them in a 30 gallon tank . Just buy a sponge filter and it will clean your frog's tank like magic and you will have to clean it very more rarely and it wont be a burden to your family. Go get a sponge filter, it solves your problem
    hope I helped

-JeromeTabuzo

Nationality
    [United States]

the older frog is significantly larger than her new friend, but not as large as I thought she would be. When I left for school she was in a ten gallon, but my family had been very stressed and busy and rather than change her water they moved her into a 1 gallon critter keeper! <Oh Jesus Christ, why???> she also tends to ignore food that sinks to the bottom and so she relies on me to hand feed her, and do frequent water changes. Due to the circumstances I am quite worried her growth may have been stunted! over the past month that I have been home feeding her daily though she has grown noticeably larger. (she eats freeze dried krill chunks and frog pellets, and very rarely guppies as treats).
    Unsuitable foods. Freeze dried food will cause constipation, bloat, and is nutritionally vapid. Wet/Frozen foods are much better. Frog pellets should be okay though you did not specify the brand and it would help if you could do that. Guppies are a real gamble, as are most feeder fish, especially to a frog which is more than likely already stressed they are a fantastic way to introduce parasites, bacteria, disease, ect..

So my question is this: I want to bring my frogs back to school with me to remove that burden from my already very busy family, and to make sure they get proper care. the problem is I am technically not supposed to have them at school, and the largest tank I can bring them in is a 5 1/2 gallon <NO NO NO>. Would keeping them in this size tank until May cause stunted growth? I love them dearly and wouldn't want to cause them any harm! I can move them into a 30 gallon tank when I am home for the summer.

5 1/2 gallons is unsuitable for Xenopus Laevis. These frogs require 10 gallons each. The issue here is not stunted growth...

The REAL issue is the fact X. Laevis is a an animal which requires very little basic care so long a FEW, SIMPLE NEEDS ARE MET.

Please do read on proper care for your frogs [link].

My best advise for you is to purchase a 20 gallon long aquarium which is perfectly suitable for two adult frogs. Get a right fitting lid on top so that the frogs cannot escape, basic lighting with a 12/12 hour day/night cycle, and place in the tank a filter capable of handling the frogs heavy bio load (ie: a filter rated up to 40gallons or 80GPH).

Feel free to leave the bottom of the tank bare for easy clean up, add some live floating plants so that the frogs may bask in them. For this water sprite/indian fern (or any other suitable floating plant) works well, it will soak up some extra nitrates from your frogs bio load and provide them a place to rest.

For feeding any suitable frog pellet will do, I use reptomin personally but there's a lot of options here. Earthworms (nightcrawlers) are a particular favorite for these frogs as well. Make sure excess food is REMOVED after feeding and only feed these frogs every other day or even every 2 days. These are subtropical frogs and their metabolism is much lower than most frogs, also note optimal water temperature would be 68F to 72F so a heater is not necessary so long as your houses temperature is within that range.

I ask that you please take my advise and read carefully, these frogs are most likely stressed from extremely unsuitable husbandry and the quicker you can rectify this, the better.

medises

I know they need 10 gallons each, and I know they have been kept in to small a tank while I was away ): I was not aware of the critter keeper situation as I was not home, which is why i thought it might be best just to get them out. I know 5 and a half is way too small but my thinking was is a clean and temporary 5 1/2 gallon tank not better than a filthy 1 gallon critter keeper? I was worried that is where they would end up again if I left them home in the 30 gallon. I was really at a loss for what to do. I really appreciate the advice from both of you, and will have to trust my family not to do that to them again. If they do, I will have to look for a new home for my frogs. );

right now they are in the largest tank I have, which they have been in since early december when I got home (30 gallons, will save up for the 20 long) and I guess I will have to leave them home in that and will try the sponge filter. I keep them at the proper temp and when I am caring for them their tank is always clean and comfortable with silk plants and hiding places. I will just have to trust my family to give them their food and clean them. And thanks for the info on the krill! I usually soak it until it is soft and then feed them small chunks, but if that is the wrong food I will cut that out ASAP. I feel terrible ): I really do try to do my best by the animals I care for, so I will try to explain what you said to my family and leave them at home. ps the pellet brand is zoo med aquatic frog food? is that an ok brand of food for them? It is the only kind of frog food we carry where I work. I was just panicking because I go back to school soon and didn't want them to be neglected so badly again, and the 5 1/2 gallon idea was a last resort thought. Thank you both for reminding me that my family should be able to manage as they really aren't complicated pets! and the sponge filter idea makes me feel much better. (I had been using a whisper filter for that tank.)

Nationality
    [United States]

I know they need 10 gallons each, and I know they have been kept in to small a tank while I was away ): I was not aware of the critter keeper situation as I was not home, which is why i thought it might be best just to get them out. I know 5 and a half is way too small but my thinking was is a clean and temporary 5 1/2 gallon tank not better than a filthy 1 gallon critter keeper?
    Better, but only only delaying the inevitable (fungus, disease, bloat, ammonia poisoning, death..)

I was worried that is where they would end up again if I left them home in the 30 gallon. I was really at a loss for what to do. I really appreciate the advice from both of you, and will have to trust my family not to do that to them again. If they do, I will have to look for a new home for my frogs. );
    Somewhat neglected in a 30 gallon aquarium would be vastly superior to housing these frogs in a 5 gallon enclosure in my opinion, but it really sounds lose\lose. Perhaps it's time to rehome these frogs to someone who can care for them properly? I can understand you are in a tough spot here.

right now they are in the largest tank I have, which they have been in since early december when I got home (30 gallons, will save up for the 20 long)
    I only used 20 gallon long as an example, a 30 gallon tank would be perfectly suitable for two adult frogs. More water is better, so long as it's not a super tall tank (longer and wider is optimal).

and I guess I will have to leave them home in that and will try the sponge filter. I keep them at the proper temp and when I am caring for them their tank is always clean and comfortable with silk plants and hiding places. I will just have to trust my family to give them their food and clean them.
    If set up properly in the 30 gallon with adequate filtration and (hopefully) 25% water changes done weekly and replacing the water with a water conditioner such as Prime (or whatever) and fed at least 3 or 4 times a week, the frogs should do just fine. So long as the tank does not get too hot (75F+) or too cold (below 64F) I don't see a problem here.

And thanks for the info on the krill! I usually soak it until it is soft and then feed them small chunks, but if that is the wrong food I will cut that out ASAP. I feel terrible ):
    No need to feel terrible, it is best to learn before we get animals but some times you just have to learn along the way. We all make mistakes myself included. Just get the frogs on a more proper diet and they will thrive.

I really do try to do my best by the animals I care for, so I will try to explain what you said to my family and leave them at home. ps the pellet brand is zoo med aquatic frog food? is that an ok brand of food for them? It is the only kind of frog food we carry where I work. I was just panicking because I go back to school soon and didn't want them to be neglected so badly again, and the 5 1/2 gallon idea was a last resort thought.
    I don't know much about Zoo Med frog pellets, I believe it is on the lower end of quality food but it is better than the freeze dried food. I believe pellets and washed earthworms would make a good base diet for these frogs (though the worms should be washed first).

Thank you both for reminding me that my family should be able to manage as they really aren't complicated pets! and the sponge filter idea makes me feel much better. (I had been using a whisper filter for that tank.)
    Not a problem, I do believe that given some simple instruction your family should be able to care for these frogs while you are away.

A whisper filter shouldn't be any better or worse than a sponge filter, the biggest concern is that the aquarium is filtered. It's really a matter of preference, I doubt the frogs care much whichever way you choose. I personally prefer canister filters if you don't mind ponying up a bit more money they work best, in my opinion.

medises

Yeah it seemed pretty lose lose to me as well, which is why I came on here to see what some other people thought. Deep down I knew the answer, I just would like to keep them as I have grown really attatched to them, and they get all excited when I walk up to the tank and nip my fingers..kind of makes me happy to feel like I have something in my life that really loves me back (Even though I know they are frogs and don't really haha). I will have to have a talk with my family, as they knew what maintenance had to be done the first time I left and couldn't do it because of stressful times for all of us, and I do not fault them for it. If this is not the place for them in the end then I will have to let them go );
    thanks.

Murray of the Deep

Yeah it seemed pretty lose lose to me as well, which is why I came on here to see what some other people thought. Deep down I knew the answer, I just would like to keep them as I have grown really attatched to them, and they get all excited when I walk up to the tank and nip my fingers..kind of makes me happy to feel like I have something in my life that really loves me back (Even though I know they are frogs and don't really haha). I will have to have a talk with my family, as they knew what maintenance had to be done the first time I left and couldn't do it because of stressful times for all of us, and I do not fault them for it. If this is not the place for them in the end then I will have to let them go );
    thanks.
    dont let them go!!!! all I do to care for my frogs is feeding them 1-2x a week and feeding them at weekends and they seem to grow big my family doesnt help me care for them , I was trying my best to care for all my amphibians even though my fire belly newt got tumors which I am attempting to heal......please dont let your frogs go.... they make you happy and adf and acf which I own now was taken care by me and they are pretty cool to watch I hope you dont let them go!
    ~Jerome

medises

Yes my family never had to help me with them before I moved away for school, so I think I might not have explained how their care routine well enough, which landed them in a less than ideal situation. I know it must seem like I take bad care of them but I really had been doing my best to give them everything they could need, and did research before I got them.. and now my family seems to have started to take more of an interest in them now that they saw how fun it is to hand feed them and that the cleaning really isn't that hard. So I think this might work out and my worrying/subsequent bad and desperate idea was all for nothing haha. Mine are still both very small juvenile frogs right now, so I look forward to watching them grow up!! ps I ordered special pellets for them online that are better than the ones I had been feeding them (: and no more krill! Thanks again to both of you for all of you help, advice, and support, and I promise you they are in capable hands..although it might not have looked that way from the question I asked haha! (have cared for a few frog species in my day (

Murray of the Deep

Yes my family never had to help me with them before I moved away for school, so I think I might not have explained how their care routine well enough, which landed them in a less than ideal situation. I know it must seem like I take bad care of them but I really had been doing my best to give them everything they could need, and did research before I got them.. and now my family seems to have started to take more of an interest in them now that they saw how fun it is to hand feed them and that the cleaning really isn't that hard. So I think this might work out and my worrying/subsequent bad and desperate idea was all for nothing haha. Mine are still both very small juvenile frogs right now, so I look forward to watching them grow up!! ps I ordered special pellets for them online that are better than the ones I had been feeding them (: and no more krill! Thanks again to both of you for all of you help, advice, and support, and I promise you they are in capable hands..although it might not have looked that way from the question I asked haha! (have cared for a few frog species in my day (
    they prefer sinking ones they'e having hard time to get pellets on top of aquarium.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
    they prefer sinking ones they'e having hard time to get pellets on top of aquarium.
    They "prefer" whatever they can shove into their mouths. Floating is better because they will not accidently eat the substrate.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by jeromeetabuzo View Post
    Not really. Like Tony said they just like to eat, period. Feeding them sinking pellets just increases the chance to ingest substrate and creates more of a mess if uneaten. I actually have my frogs "trained" to take food from my hands if I hover it above the water. Its actually pretty amazing how far they can jump out of the water and snatch food, they're quite accurate too!

deeishealthy

That is so cool!

gemzjames

ive trained my frogs to eat out of my fingers too, it makes it easier to monitor food intake and that all of them are eating well too. :-)

Thread Information