Thread: I'm afraid my newest toad may die.

Amber Gyore

Exclamation I'm afraid my newest toad may die.

I'm a new FBT owner. I originally just had the one, but recently purchased another because I read on multiple threads that they are social animals, and can get depressed if they are alone. I have had my newest toad for two days. The first day I fed him, I noticed he had mistaken a piece of sphagnum moss as a cricket, and ate it. This broke my heart because I heard this could get caught in his digestive track, and could prove to be fatal. I decided to let him continue to hunt, and I kept a close eye on him. When he did catch the cricket, he ingested it as normal, but after a few minutes I noticed he threw up the entire cricket. He hasn't eaten since, whereas my other toad has been stealing all the extra crickets that my newest addition will not eat. I am concerned that he may have some serious issues with his digestive track. I am worried that he may pass. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? Please help.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

demon amphibians

Default Re: I'm afraid my newest toad may die.

A number of things can be wrong. You must first know if your toad is C.B or wild caught. I got two cane toads in a month ago and they refused to eat for several days and they just acted very stressed and scared. I called the place i ordered them from and they advised me that they were wild caught. I didnt even think that was legal to sell wild caught animals. So i did a little research and found a care sheet for wild caught amphibians. It said that when brought from the wild many species will take a good while to acclimate themselves to the new environment. By which i put them in a room where they will be disturbed as little as possible. Less stress means a healthier pet. Why your toad threw up a cricket is beyond me. I do know some moss is harmful. My friend used moss as bedding for a pacman. It ingested some and died not long after. Turns out the moss had dye in it to give it its color. Although it didn't say on the package what types of animals it was meant for even though it had pictures of frogs on it. It also had no warning label. Almost every care sheet that i have read for many different species specifically stated to avoid moss due to impaction issues. The only advice i can give is take out the moss replace with coco husk. And place it in a room were it can have some privacy. But don't stop there. You may want to take your toad to the vet just to be on the safe side.

Murray of the Deep

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Gyore View Post
    I'm a new FBT owner. I originally just had the one, but recently purchased another because I read on multiple threads that they are social animals, and can get depressed if they are alone. I have had my newest toad for two days. The first day I fed him, I noticed he had mistaken a piece of sphagnum moss as a cricket, and ate it. This broke my heart because I heard this could get caught in his digestive track, and could prove to be fatal. I decided to let him continue to hunt, and I kept a close eye on him. When he did catch the cricket, he ingested it as normal, but after a few minutes I noticed he threw up the entire cricket. He hasn't eaten since, whereas my other toad has been stealing all the extra crickets that my newest addition will not eat. I am concerned that he may have some serious issues with his digestive track. I am worried that he may pass. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? Please help.
    and to solve your problem , try soaking him in honey or warmwater but if you still need some more advices about constipation because im not good at curing these things visit this guy he's good at that:
    View Profile: GrifTheGreat - Frog Forum
    Sorry i tried to help all i know is honey soaking and it would pass out , my fbt passed his moss out (he swallowed at the petshop)... sorry all I did was try to help

Amber Gyore

I heard that coco husk isn't a good substitution because it gets caught on the frogs, who then drag it into the water, and it plugs up the filters.

MantisMan

plantation soil is coco fiber stuff but its very fine like soil or dirt with no chunks and works very well as an all purpose substrate

demon amphibians

every care sheet i have looked through always recommend coco husk. But that is care sheets for frogs and frogs are more sensitive than toads when it comes to there environment. I am a new toad owner and had a ruff start at first. I didnt loose any but getting them to eat was quite the task. They still wont eat with me in the room. but they like to defaecate in there warm water bowl and with out a doubt they are eating. They prefer roaches from what i can tell. I also read on a care sheet that they go ape **** over moths unfortunately it is the wrong time of year for me to catch those. So i cant say whether or not how yours will take to them. Just keep in mind most toads species are very resilient. And symptoms that would normally worry you with a frog would be a much lesser worry with most types of toads. With the honey advice i have never heard of that I would think that would pose a problem with clogged pores. But i wouldnt know you may want to get a second opinion before trying that.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Do not get Coconut Fiber confused with Coconut Husk. They are two different products. Cooconut Husk looks like wood chips and should be avoided. It is dangerous.

Coconut Fiber is ideal and should be used because it is easily passed if ingested. If you separate the land from the water feature it should reduce substrate from getting in the water. FBT spend most of their time in the water so they may not go on land so much that it builds up in the water clogging your filter.

demon amphibians

I didnt know that. I thought they were the same. i just figured that the fiber was a finer cut. Do you know if the Husk is harmful to snakes? I use the husk for my snakes and fiber for my frogs because the chips are a pain in the *** to clean out of the water.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Quote Originally Posted by demon amphibians View Post
    I didnt know that. I thought they were the same. i just figured that the fiber was a finer cut. Do you know if the Husk is harmful to snakes? I use the husk for my snakes and fiber for my frogs because the chips are a pain in the *** to clean out of the water.
    I would assume that the Husk chips would be harmful if the snake was to accidentally get a mouthful, but as long as the snake doesn't ingest much it probably will do no harm.

The Cocofiber and Husk are made from the same thing. They are products made from the outer husks of a coconut and yes one is basically just ground much finer than the other(Coconut Fiber/Eco Earth/Plantation Soil), but the husk does not pass easily because of the large chunks lodging themselves in the Digestive Tract causing a blockage(Impaction) which can be deadly. Even Coconut Fiber can cause an impaction if it is ingested in large amounts or if ingested dry. The reason it is so good to use for frogs is that the finer grind makes it more loose and passable. It will give and is partially digestable, the Husk form is not.

arielgasca420

If you are really concerned then try using the reptile carpet. It is easy to clean and you wont have to worry about coco husk getting in or on them

Thread Information