Thread: sick Fire Belly?

shelley75

Default sick Fire Belly?

Hi, I have one Fire Belly Toad that I purchased in June. He was doing so well and would eat crickets like mad. The last week I can't get him to eat any crickets, his belly looks bloated and his sides are squishy. I am wondering if he can't poop? There are no small rocks in his tank that he could have swallowed but some of the crickets he would eat were quite large. Could this cause a problem? There are no exotic vets around where I live so that is out of the question.
    Any advice would be appreciated
    Shelley

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: sick Fire Belly?

Yes eating prey items that are to large can cause impaction. You should feed prey items that aren't any longer than the distance between the frogs eyes. What you can do if you believe he may be impacted is prepare a bath of unflavored pedeolite and prepare a luke warm bath of dechlorinated water with 1 oz. of pedeolite for every 10 oz. water. Also add 3 drops of plain honey. Let him soak in this for about 20 than move him into a bath of just plain dechlorinated water for a couple minutes to rinse off the previous solution. The pedeolite will give e him an electrolyte boost and the honey kinda works like a natural laxative. Many experienced members on here swear by these baths.

Maybe post some pictures?

Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

shelley75

if the warm bath doesn't work, will he eventually be able to pass it himself? I don't want him to die...I will post some pics tonight.

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default sick Fire Belly?

Matthew is right on. The baths help. Do not feed him tonight. Just do the soak. Let us know how he does.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Hoppity100

I try being careful about cricket size but mine are ok. This impaction reason is exactly why I won't give mine roaches for example. Don't give him crickets for a while...give him worms, like wax or earth worms. I alternate what I feed mine. If yours was eating too many crickets it sounds reasonable to say they could be his problem. Don't offer them for quite a while, try worms. Hope he is alright.

MantisMan

it could be a female full of eggs...

Hoppity100

Yeah you never know, wish it was easier to tell the sex. All four of mine look on the chubby side and I have one that does the croaking at night. They all are the same shade of green with black spots. If I have 1 male and 3 females, I wonder if the girls are driving him nuts? LOL

blindderik35

Quote Originally Posted by MantisMan View Post
    it could be a female full of eggs...
    thats is right!! i took 1 of my TOADS TO 2 VETS. THE FIRST 1 SAID IT WAS VERY SICK AND HAS A BELLY FULL OF BACTERIA...TOOK IT THE SECOND VET HE PUT IT DOWN AND DID AN AUTOPSY AND FOUND IT HAD EGGS IN HER THAT WOULDNT PASS.I NOW HAVE A ANOTHER THAT LOOKS LIKE SHE GOING TO EXPLODE.ILL TRY THAT BATH AS WELL THANX. I HOPE SHE DOENT HAVE THAT "TOPSY" INFECTION.

MARK

FrogFriend

This is good to know! The baths...I have a female that was normal size when I got her last year, then plumped out really big with squishy sides. I thought it was because the male that I got with her was doing a lot of mating with her. But she never changed. For a year now she's been like this. I think I may try it out and see if it helps her out.

Thread Information