Thread: New build, 220 gallon Vi (somethingorother) build, could use some advice....

1moreminute

Default New build, 220 gallon Vi (somethingorother) build, could use some advice....

Hello everyone,

I am starting the building process of a 220 gallon glass tank 6' long x 2' wide x 30''s tall. I'm building a custom stand and canopy for it as
    well.

We have 2 Tetra Viquarium Waters Edge kits that we are going to use. We've done two in a 180 in the past and loved it.

Also, in the water section I have a cascading creek also made by Tetra I believe. We are also going to have drift wood and a selection of live and fake plants/ trees.

Were also going to be adding a rain maker.

We plan on having, fish, frogs, turtles, newts, crabs etc in there for the live stock. We also want to have some lilies and bamboo plants as well as other misc live plants, non of which should need high intensity lighting. These things weve had in the 180 and everyone did just fine, no fighting and no deaths!

Questions I have are:

Ive seen the talk about foggers but not sure which ones are good and where to get them from, so Id like that info please.

Also, lighting. I have a friend that is selling LED lighting that he used for his 220 saltwater reef tank, consists of 10k and actinic (blue) led lights as well as some T5s that are the same K values. He will sell them to me for a really good price. This setup even though it was saltwater was able to grow acros (A type of hard coral) on the very bottom of his 30'' tank so I know those leds can penetrate very well. But I'm concerned about the K values being too high. I could buy new bulbs and change them out I suppose but not to sure about LEDs specs as I am new to the LED lights for tanks.

Anyways, Ill post some pics of the progress so far. The 1st pic is my reef tank I built back in 06, I built that stand and canopy as well for that and loved it so much I am going to do this stand and canopy the same maybe a tad different.

Will have plenty of questions I'm sure!

Thanks guys and gals of FrogForum!

Below is what my 180 stand and canopy looks like, this is pretty much what I am going to build again. Next post will have the new frame and what I got completed so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

1moreminute

Default Re: New build, 220 gallon Vi (somethingorother) build, could use some advice....

This is what I got done so far, using 2x4s doubled up using PL Premium Advanced and decking screws. The front is 3/4" tongue and groove solid wood.

Will be doing more in a few days when I have the time!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

1moreminute

Default Re: New build, 220 gallon Vi (somethingorother) build, could use some advice....

So heres what I am thinking after viewing some of your builds, which are very nicey nice by the way!

Im seeing some of you are using expanding foam, now I am a contractor by trade and am familiar with the foams from a can, like Great Stuff, is that what you are using and which type? Large voids, windows and doors etc?

What is it you are painting/ applying to them to get the colors?

I need to figure out a way to draw this out on a program to show you guys what I have in mind as far as land and water sections. Any free easy programs that I can DL from the intrawebs?

Those are the only questions as of now I have, I think! Will post more build photos as I move foward. Getting tank this weekend and gravel.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Sounds like a nice set up.
    You could use some of the actinics for night lighting.
    Change the T5's out for some 6500K bulbs.
    One problem I see is putting turtles in the tank.
    I keep alot of turtles in different tanks and they pretty much look
    at everything else in the tank as food.

1moreminute

Quote Originally Posted by Dale D View Post
    Sounds like a nice set up.
    You could use some of the actinics for night lighting.
    Change the T5's out for some 6500K bulbs.
    One problem I see is putting turtles in the tank.
    I keep alot of turtles in different tanks and they pretty much look
    at everything else in the tank as food.
    Thanks Dale,

I do plan on keeping some of the actinics for the moon light effect and I will change the T5s to 6500K. If Im not mistaking he says he has two 80 watt t5s that are of that K value. If not I will buy new ones. They both have SLR Icecap refletors which in my eyes are the best reflectors you can buy unless something new has come out now.

About the turtles, in our old tank (the 180 with all mentioned animals and waterfalls above) we had 3 red ear slider turtles and was worried about them going after the fish, for the year or so we had it set up they never touched one, kept a good head count to make sure! What we did do which may have helped was ad a few dozen ghost shrimp which they loved to eat, so maybe that diverted them from eating the fish? Maybe! Not sure though! Or just lucky..

Anyways, thanks again for your input. Going to do some more reading!

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default New build, 220 gallon Vi (somethingorother) build, could use some advice....

The T5's for lighting are great. The sunlight 6500K bulbs are great too. I just looked at some by coral life that are really nice.

I agree, the turtles will eat the frogs and they carry a higher level of salmonella.

Your tank is absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful! I can't wait to see this one finished . I'll be following this thread.

The great stuff foam is the gaps and cracks type...

You can also use the styrofoam builds. Here is a nice site for ideas...
    http://www.lizard-landscapes.com
    I like the rock wall and waterfalls. You can pretty much build anything you can think up though.
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

dump the actinics, they are no good for plants. corals, yes, but plants no. algae does love 10000k though...lol even the l.e.d.'s should be in the 6500k color temp range. top of the line reflectors, imho, are tek. so far, nothing in the freshwater work beats them. if you want moonlighting, change out a couple l.e.d.'s for blue ones. yes, i know actinic are bluish, but straight blue is best for night lighting. the actinics would be too bright.

sliders will go after fish, but rarely. especially if the fish are larger ones like a larger rainbow species.

just curious, how are you planning on making your rain system?
    1.0.0 Oophaga Pumilio 'Black Jeans'
    0.0.10 Phyllobates Vittatus
    0.0.3 Phyllobates Terribilis 'Mint'
    0.0.3 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Patricia'
    0.0.5 Dendrobates Leucomelas
    0.0.2 Dendrobates Tinctorius 'Powder Blue'
    0.0.2 Ranitomeya Variabilis 'southern'
    0.0.3 Epipedobates Anthonyi 'zarayunga'
    1.2.0 Phyllobates bicolor
    0.0.3 Dendrobates tinctorius 'azureus'
    0.0.1 Avicularia Avicularia
    0.0.1 Gramastola porteri