Thread: New Owner of Two White's Tree Frogs... Need a Little Help!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default New Owner of Two White's Tree Frogs... Need a Little Help!

First of all, I'm new to the forum, so hi everyone! I am also a new (first-time) owner of two WTFs.

Right now I have a couple of concerns. I have kind of had a less-than-ideal first few days, because I was leaving my parents' home for my college home, but had to get the frogs before I left, so they have just endured a move after coming home with me from the reptile store.

Both frogs have minor injuries from the reptile store: one has significant nose rub, but it doesn't look infected or anything. I was told that it will heal once he stops rubbing his face on glass. The other also has what looks like a tiny spot with nose rub, but it is much more minor. The second one also has a finger deformity that looks like it could be a birth defect. I will try to post pictures of both of them tomorrow.

Next, I don't have a perfect setup for them to live in yet. Specifically, I am relying on a sealed tupperware container full of hot water to give them a warm spot and it's a little cold in my room (their tank is around 62-64 degrees F, and it is 1 AM. I am also lacking some decor, but that seems to be less of an issue. They are very dopey and aren't eating much... I'm wondering if they are still a bit shell-shocked from all the transitions (purchased 2 days ago, transported in the car for 5 1/2 hours today), and I feel bad, but it had to be done. I think they also might be a bit cold, but the smaller of the two (the one with the deformed thumb) is very shy and doesn't move much on its own. Only when I handle it does it really start moving.

If you need to know anything else, just ask. Thanks in advance for the help - I am looking forward to a good long time with these little ones, so I want to learn quickly how to be a better owner!

-Phil

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: New Owner of Two White's Tree Frogs... Need a Little Help!

Little update and clarification:

I am just looking for some advice on the ailments they have and suggestions about temperature regulation, as well as experience regarding potential reasons for lots of sleeping.

Heard some movement while writing that, and it appears both frogs moved. They are seeming to respond well to the warm water container. One snuggled up to it and the other may have hunted a cricket. It ended up on the glass.

AND I JUST HEARD MY FIRST CROAK! Sounded more like a squawk, but WOW!

EJT97

Welcome to the forum!
    The temperature should be at least 75 degrees and up to about 85. Do you have any substrate? If not use wet paper towels for the moment, have you treated the water? How big is the container (they prefer height to width)? I can't help on the injuries but it sounds like they may be a little stressed (not helped by the 5 1/2 hour trip) Also, what and how much are you feeding them?

Nationality
    [United States]

Thanks for the reply! Today will be dedicated to getting them set up right and on their way to happy living!

So, they are on Eco Earth coconut fiber substrate, which is set up on a false bottom. It's pretty moist I had to take off the glass cover for a mesh one to reduce humidity to around 70%-80%.

I am using tap water, but I don't know how to treat it...? I was looking up data from the water department to see ion counts, and found the chloride to be less than 100 parts per million. Please tell me if there is something I'm not doing; I'm kind of flying in the dark so far.

The container is only a 10 gal one right now, it's all I had. It's oriented the wide way, and there is one nice branch there now but they haven't voluntarily climbed on that yet.

I got feeder crickets from the store, and I know that a couple have been eaten, but the WTFs aren't exactly charging at them... (there are still a couple in their habitat from yesterday around noon. So I would say that between the two frogs, 4-5 crickets have been eaten in the last 2 days or so, which is how long I've had them.

Also, I bought calcium/vitamin powder... domestic frogs do need that, right?

EJT97

The water should be either treated tap water or bottled spring water, the substrate is good and the humidity levels seem okay. The tank is big enough for now but as the frog grows older it will need a bigger, taller tank. Also, a hide may be good for them so they don't feel they are being watched all the time. Getting a hide would probably rescue the stress of the frogs.
    For the crickets you should dust them with the calcium/vitamin,powder, not every day but maybe 2-4 times a week. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be eating a lot, maybe someone else could help?
    hope it helps!

deeishealthy

Sounds like you are doing good with what you had. Get yourself some dechlorinator (I bought mine at the pet store in the aquarium section). Chlorine is horrid for frogs, so you must dechlorinate their water. Other than that it sounds like you know you need to increase their heat, you have a good substrate, and you are feeding them well. Congrats!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by EJT97 View Post
    The water should be either treated tap water or bottled spring water, the substrate is good and the humidity levels seem okay. The tank is big enough for now but as the frog grows older it will need a bigger, taller tank. Also, a hide may be good for them so they don't feel they are being watched all the time. Getting a hide would probably rescue the stress of the frogs.
    For the crickets you should dust them with the calcium/vitamin,powder, not every day but maybe 2-4 times a week. I'm not sure why they wouldn't be eating a lot, maybe someone else could help?
    hope it helps!
    OK great advice. Thanks, Elliot - I will get on that.

Phil

Nationality
    [United States]

Default New Owner of Two White's Tree Frogs... Need a Little Help!

Thread is nearly two years old. I liked your advice though!

Litoria
    caerulea 1.1.0 (White's Tree Frog)
    Lampropeltis triangulum hondurensis ​0.1.0 (Anerythristic Honduran Milk Snake) Tliltocatl albopilosus 0.0.2 (Curly Hair Tarantula)
    Aphonopelma hentzi 0.0.1 (Texas Brown Tarantula)
    Avicularia avicularia 0.0.2 (Pinktoe Tarantula)
    Brachypelma smithi ex. annitha 0.0.1 (Mexican Giant Red Knee Tarantula) Monocentropus balfouri 0.0.2 (Socotra Island Blue Baboon Tarantula)
    Harpactira pulchripes
    0.0.1 (Golden Blue Leg Baboon Tarantula)

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

D'oh!

10. This member thanks elly for this post:

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elly View Post
    D'oh!
    Been there
    Mom to these fine frogs!
    4.4.0 White's tree frogs (Litoria caerulea): Sir Honey Lime, Bok & Choi, Martha, Shirley, Leapin' Loo and Ping & Pong; 0.2.1 Amazon Milk Frogs (Trachycephalus resinifictrix): Otto & Echo and Pip-Squeak aka Tiny
    2.0.0 South American Bird Poo Frogs (Hyla marmorata): Ribbit & Rupert

Thread Information