Thread: Very sick toad, may need to poop, need help urgently

Firebelly69

Unhappy Very sick toad, may need to poop, need help urgently

I've been searching thread after thread on google but I'm getting stressed out so I've decided to make my own post as the situation is becoming dire.

Over the past few days my toad has been refusing food his main diet is live crickets, he is 10-11 years old, I'm 19 and I've had him since elementary school his name is Matt. I had another toad name Pat that died recently..

Matt has a swollen abdomen and it has gotten worse over the past few days, his arms and legs have become extremely skinny but he still swims around and stuff, however today I noticed it appears his tailbone has started sticking out so its leaving me to believe (I'm absolutely not an expert) that he has an impaction, today I put him in a lukewarm bath I guessed the temperature its only very slightly warmer than no temperature (intermediate) water. He still has his healthy light green color.. I've been super gently massaging his sides trying to help him make a poop.. today also his leg was positioned in a wierd way at the same time his tailbone started sticking out..

I would describe this frog before he got sick as an alpha male, he was an excellent hunter and I would have to fend him off when trying to hand feed my other frog because he would dart across the tank trying to take her food. He was very active..

The other frog I had wasn't very healthy to begin with, but I did my best to take care of her as a little kid, often I would have to spend 40 minutes a day trying to tweezer feed her.. She made it to ten years old and she was the harmless one I guess.

Please help me save my little buddy

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Firebelly69

Default Re: Very sick toad, may need to poop, need help urgently

I also noticed a little bit of brown around the rim of his right eye, I thought he may of attained it from straining trying to poo

Firebelly69

His belly doesnt feel hard it feels really soft almost like nothing on the side i want him to get better and start feeding him and make him strong again..

Nationality
    [United States]

Prepare a lukewarm bath of dechlorinated water with some unflavored pedeolite, using 1 oz of pedeolite for every 10 oz of water. Let him splash around in that untill it cools, and then put him in a bath of plain Luke warm dechlorinated water to rinse the previous solution off. That should give him a little boost. Just make sure you get unflavored. He may need a trip to the vet if that is a possibility. Some one with a little more experience might be able to come up with a better idea of what is going on in with him. A trip to the vet may be needed if things don't turn around soon
    Sent from my LG-P930 using Tapatalk 2
    2.0 Bombina orientalis
    1.0 Bufo americanus
    0.1.1 Ceratophrys cranwelli
    0.1 Xenopus laevis

All my arachnids and other inverts listed in my profile

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Very sick toad, may need to poop, need help urgently

Firebelly, do the pedialyte soak and add 3 drops of plain honey to the soak water. Soak him for 15 to 20 minutes in it. Then provide a small dechlorinated rinse bath to rinse off excess honey. Use only dechlorainated water or spring water to make the pedialyte soak.

Great job keeping your frogs so long .

Good luck and keep us posted!
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Firebelly69

I saw a tiny white bulb peeking out of his bum so i put him in a slightly warm bath in a butter container it looks like his poop is playing peeka-boo.. Im going to the pet store instantly after work tomorrow what do i need?

Locascio

Default RE: Very sick toad, may need to poop, need help urgently

I'm so sorry to hear about your problems with your baby. 10 years is a good run for a frog, you did the best you could keep up with the honey baths
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

Locascio

Default RE: Very sick toad, may need to poop, need help urgently

And try and raise the temp just a little it could help his immune system fight off any infection . When was the last time he had a meal ? Have you thought of taking him to a vet?
    Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

Firebelly69

He hasnt eaten in two weeks i think.. I live in a somewhat isolated island there are no amphibian experts I know of. I have pet stores and pet supplies stores though.

FinnyBird

From the sounds of it, the most likely culprit is compaction. Do the baths, and if you can, raise the temperature of the water just a couple degrees. Noting extreme, but it could help him pass the blockage. If the "phantom poop" exposes itself a bit more, while I'm not usually in favor of manhandling frogs, you may want to try and remove it manually if it's blocking the rest of the pipes. Update us when you can.

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by FinnyBird View Post
    From the sounds of it, the most likely culprit is compaction. Do the baths, and if you can, raise the temperature of the water just a couple degrees. Noting extreme, but it could help him pass the blockage. If the "phantom poop" exposes itself a bit more, while I'm not usually in favor of manhandling frogs, you may want to try and remove it manually if it's blocking the rest of the pipes. Update us when you can.
    NO! Very bad idea. This can cause a prolapse. Never pull anything out of their vent like that. If the feces exposes itself at the vent the water should help to soften it. Pulling it out can do more harm than good.

Firebelly69

No developments.. What else can I do?

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Very sick toad, may need to poop, need help urgently

How is your toad doing?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Thread Information