Thread: Am I feeding my ACFs too much or too little?

Chunky Monkey

Default Am I feeding my ACFs too much or too little?

When I google images of ACFs all the frogs are a lot fatter than the ones I have. I know the females are a lot bigger than the males, as I have one too. But the ones on google images are really fat compared to mines. I feed each of them grammarus dried shrimp like 4 or 5 small shrimps every day. Is this too much or too little for them? And should the female be eating more than the males since shes so much bigger?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Re: Am I feeding my ACFs too much or too little?

Dried shrimp and shrimp in general aren't really the best food for ACF (though thawed frozen pre-cooked shrimp with no seasoning/salt/ect added makes a good treat). In fact freeze dried foods are pretty terrible and should be avoided entirely. A diet of freeze dried foods is a good way to cause constipation and various other health issues with ACF to prop up.

I feed my frogs a 50/50 diet of reptomin and earthworms (nightcrawlers), they're pleasantly plump, but not fat. My frogs diet isn't the only way to do it but it's worked great for me, ACF aren't picky.

I feed all my frogs the same, male or female. If they're dancing around for food for quite a while after a feeding I might give them a bit more. I usually feed my frogs one earthworm each, per day on average and adult sized reptomin sticks each on other days (they usually eat 5 or 6 of them each). I could see females needing more food since they're larger it really depends on the size of your frogs though since it seems to vary a lot, for instance my female frog is really not noticeably bigger than my largest male right now, though that may change with time.

Nationality
    [Canada]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

You are definately feeding your frogs garbage. That is comparable to a human eating rice cakes only.

Listen to Michael's advice. Earth worms(store bought), thawed raw table shrimp, raw cut up fish(salmon, tilipia), scallops and many other things are great treats. You need to get a good staple commercial food too and feed that 75% of the time though. Reptomin was mention, I recently switched to Omega One Aquatic Turtle Bites as I believe it is superior to Reptomin.
    You will notice an increase in mass once you start feeding some wholesome food. If your frogs are already adults only feed every 2-3 days though.

Ken Rigney

I feed my 8 year old female pinky or fuzzy mice once in a long while. But, I feed her Reptomin most of the time. I use to feed her pink cubes of moist turtle food that smelled like fish when I just got her and hand fed her. I don't remember what that was called. She loves earthworms. Mealworms and crickets have shells/exoskeletons and some of that comes out in the frog waist so i don't give them to her.

Nationality
    [Canada]

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Rigney View Post
    I feed my 8 year old female pinky or fuzzy mice once in a long while. But, I feed her Reptomin most of the time. I use to feed her pink cubes of moist turtle food that smelled like fish when I just got her and hand fed her. I don't remember what that was called. She loves earthworms. Mealworms and crickets have shells/exoskeletons and some of that comes out in the frog waist so i don't give them to her.
    Your not the first person I have heard of that has done the mouse thing. I got to admit it would be cool to see, but it can't be the most nutritious or humane thing to do unless your using frozen/thawed mice.

Ken Rigney

It's not neat to be honest. I like the idea of the gut-loaded prey. But go with frozen mice for sure. The live ones squeak, and the claws on a xenopus are not for decoration. But, my frog can pack down like 6 goldfish like nothing. I don't give them to her anymore, too fatty and carry pathogens. But I want my frog to eat things with bones in them.

Nationality
    [Canada]

The goldfish also have thiaminase, an enzyme that causes thiamine deficency.

Nationality
    [Canada]

One thing you can feed if your concerned about natural calcium is raw table shrimp with the shell on. Cut it up first so the frogs will not remove it when thrashing it with their claws as they often do with larger food.

Thread Information