Thread: Retaining fluid

Nationality
    [United States]
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Retaining fluid

Seems like squish is retaining fluid... She has never been a good eater, but lately she's been burrowing under completely and going into aestivation. I let her sleep for about 4-5 weeks, and woke her. She shed many layers of skin, ate some night crawlers, and went back under...
    I let her go for a week, but now she looks super bloated.

Enclosure conditions are normal, if anything a tad on the cooler side due to winter (80 day time, 75 night)

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357358250.159156.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  67.6 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357358265.087334.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  72.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357358277.770491.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  79.7 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357358291.754026.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  118.1 KB
    I tried to get her to eat and pee, she wants absolutely nothing to do with either, and seems to want to dig under again after attempting to get her to do either.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

arielgasca420

Default Re: Retaining fluid

hey Bruce! sorry to hear you are having difficulties. My pacman is the same size and almost same color and pattern. He started going under and eating less. I had my temps the same as yours.
    I recently raised the temp to 85 degrees in the day and 82 degrees at night. he hasnt tried to go under yet and he has been eating more.

Nationality
    [United States]

Have you tried doing a honey soak yet? Mine always pees immediately when I put her in. Could she have had food in her system when she went to sleep that could maybe be causing tox issues now?

Nationality
    [United States]

Eggs? She's a big girl. The only reason I ask is she looks like Mike's breeders do just before he breeds em.
    Thanks
    DW

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Retaining fluid

Tried the honey soak, nothing.. She went right before she went under...

Dee, you know I almost thought the same thing... But I'm not sure how to tell?

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Tried the honey soak, nothing.. She went right before she went under...

Dee, you know I almost thought the same thing... But I'm not sure how to tell?
    Hey Bruce

Well she does look to be holding water, but doesn't look to be really bloated. If she were it would appear as if her skin were stretched to the limit. They also look really bloated when full of eggs. Do you weigh her often? If not you should start so that you know her normal weight and her full of eggs weight. Mike will tell you that when full of eggs they will gain about 100 grams in weight so that is a possibility.

As for gettting her to pee usually a warm bath helps. Doesn't have to contain honey, but that does help as well. Go a little warmer in water temp maybe 82° or 84° and slowly lower her into it. While she is in there rub her sides and feel for anything unusual, but mainly this will cause some stress, but not anything to worry about. Stress as you well know is bad, but in this cause a small amount will cause her to pee. Sort of like when they're scared. Unless she is so used to you that is doesn't bother her anymore. .

Give it a try and keep us posted.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Retaining fluid

Quote Originally Posted by GrifTheGreat View Post
    Hey Bruce

Well she does look to be holding water, but doesn't look to be really bloated. If she were it would appear as if her skin were stretched to the limit. They also look really bloated when full of eggs. Do you weigh her often? If not you should start so that you know her normal weight and her full of eggs weight. Mike will tell you that when full of eggs they will gain about 100 grams in weight so that is a possibility.

As for gettting her to pee usually a warm bath helps. Doesn't have to contain honey, but that does help as well. Go a little warmer in water temp maybe 82° or 84° and slowly lower her into it. While she is in there rub her sides and feel for anything unusual, but mainly this will cause some stress, but not anything to worry about. Stress as you well know is bad, but in this cause a small amount will cause her to pee. Sort of like when they're scared. Unless she is so used to you that is doesn't bother her anymore. .

Give it a try and keep us posted.
    Well she didn't pee, but after the soak she looked less bloated, saggy in fact, lol! I tried to get her to eat but she refused and dug under again.. I guess I'll just give her some time.
    I wish I had something to weigh my frogs with, that would be helpful!

Nationality
    [United States]

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    Well she didn't pee, but after the soak she looked less bloated, saggy in fact, lol! I tried to get her to eat but she refused and dug under again.. I guess I'll just give her some time.
    I wish I had something to weigh my frogs with, that would be helpful!
    Buy a kitchen scale. Preferably one that can switch between units of weight like grams, ounces, etc.

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Retaining fluid

Bruce, that's what I use too, a kitchen scale. You can find them in the kitchen gadget row at Walmart. The digital ones are nice. If she's too wiggly, just put her in a Tupperware or critter keeper and minus the weight of the container.

Did she come out tonight?
    https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203589094112277&id=1363241107&set =a.1434844115446.2055312.1363241107&source=11&ref= bookmark

Nationality
    [United States]

Default Retaining fluid

No she didn't.. I may have to invest in one shortly, I wanna weigh all my critters

Herpguy

4-5 weeks is not enough time for these frogs to complete aestivation, let her sleep for as long as she wants.

Thread Information