Thread: Pyxie questions

timscrape

Default Pyxie questions

Hi all. I am looking for some pyxie info. My son has a pacman frog and we love the little booger. I have been reading on here about pyxies and watching them on YouTube as well as american bullfrogs. The pyxies seem to be a little tougher frog. Can anyone tell me if this is right? Also, I know the feeding schedules needed for pacs. Do pyxies need the same? I don't see how they can grow so big, so fast and only have a staple diet of crickets and cockroaches. Can they eat mice more often? Is this why they grow so fast? I was told that American bullfrogs need a lot of space due to their jumping ability and meds for water. It would seem to me that pyxies may need the water as well but they wouldn't have the same jumping ability. How big of a tank would I need for a pyxie? I can't think of any more questions right now. I would greatly appreciate any info and advice offered. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Locascio

Default RE: Pyxie questions

Pixies will require more food as for feeding rats I would stay away from them they are high in fat and will cause health issues I feed earthworms,crickets. Pixies are a tougher frog as for housing the biger the better thay require the same housing as your pacman just bigger is better when you have a 7inch frog hopping around and belave me there not as lazy az thay look

Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

Nationality
    [United States]
    Blog Entries
    Picture Albums: Member Photo Albums

Default Re: Pyxie questions

Check out this article, it should answer all your questions about pyxies.
    Frog Forum - African Bullfrog - Pyxicephalus adspersus - Care and Breeding

The care of pyxies is similar to that of pacmans. I keep each of my pyxies in a separate tank of about 12 gallons in size (I love clear, plastic containers). I use a shredded coco substrate with a large dish for soaking. I keep them at room temperature, about 72(F) all year around. Pyxies are generally not very active except during mealtime. Mine are buried most of the time, they seem to sense when its winter. Be careful when selecting pyxies - there are two species available, the giant and the dwarf and when they are juveniles, they are difficult to tell apart. There are several threads on the forum that will help you determine which species you have. I have kept both and personally I really like the dwarfs. if you have any questions, please post. Good luck with your frogging adventures!
    Terry Gampper
    Nebraska Herpetological Society

“If we can discover the meaning in the trilling of a frog, perhaps we may understand why it is for us not merely noise but a song of poetry and emotion.”
    ---
    Adrian Forsyth

timscrape

Default Re: Pyxie questions

Thanks for the info. I found the care sheet a few minutes ago and just got finished reading it. It sounds like pyxies are a bigger version of a pacman, and they can swim. They sound fairly easy to care for like my sons pacman. Now I think I'm leaning more toward a pyxie than the American bullfrog. But this will be MY frog not my sons. Thanks again for the info.

Thread Information